Carpool lanes

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I'm sure everyone who lives in a major city have carpool lanes where cars carrying at least 3 people are allowed to drive in. In the end, they're supposed to cut driving time plus encourage carpooling for the environment.

Do you think if my bf and I have Stiggy in the car we'll get pulled over? lol. What if we all had our own destination, work for my bf and I and daycare for Stig? :D

buffalobabie

Apr 11, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Bulldog(s) Names
Gregory
hahahaha i was thinking about that too recently. I think it depends on the cop if you got pulled over. My mom got hit by a car while she was walking her dog last year, so i called the police to come to the house and make a report. Gregory was only a wee baby then and the cop insisted i put him in another room because he looked vicious i was so shocked.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Jamie..... I think you are pushing it just a bit ;)
Only car pool lanes we have in Milw. are the on ramps have a separate lane for cars with 2 or more PEOPLE in them. Hmmmm?? Now that I type that I don't think they say specifically PEOPLE... I think they say occupants......I wonder.................??? :D

OP
izstigspunks

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Jamie..... I think you are pushing it just a bit ;)
Only car pool lanes we have in Milw. are the on ramps have a separate lane for cars with 2 or more PEOPLE in them. Hmmmm?? Now that I type that I don't think they say specifically PEOPLE... I think they say occupants......I wonder.................??? :D

hehe. The topic was actually blogged on the Animal Planet site just last year. The author had a very good point, imo. :lol:

Why Can't Pets Qualify for the Carpool Lane?

10/08/2010

Why is it that a 5 month old, 12lb infant, who is unable to crawl, roll-over or sit up, let alone make facial expressions, qualifies as a carpool passenger, yet my 55 pound dog, Zazou, who has a vocabulary 80+ words and excellent hand-eye-paw coordination does not qualify as a carpool passenger? Why? Why the injustice?

As a resident of Southern California who spends countless hours in gridlocked, mind-numbing traffic, I have pondered this thought endlessly as I watch soccer moms whiz by at 80MPH in the carpool lane with their drooling bundle of joy babbling to themselves in the back car-seat. How can this be? My dogs have the combined intelligence of a fifth grader, yet we're sitting like chumps going a total of 3MPH in the fast lane. The injustice!

What's the Real Deal?

Wondering if anyone else shared my sentiment, I had a chat with Officer Harris of the Los Angeles California Highway Patrol (CHP). The conversation went as follows:

Me: "Uh, Hi - Why is it that a drooling 4 month old baby, who doesn't even know what a car is, qualifies as a carpool passenger but my 55 lb four-legged-family-member, who does know what a car is, does not qualify?

Officer Harris: "Um....What?"

Me: "How about a van with 10 dogs in it? Is that considered a carpool?"

Officer Harris: "Uh, hold please."

Me: Listens to Neil Diamond's "Cracklin' Rosie" while on hold for 5 minutes, convinced Officer Harris is waiting for yours truly hang up or just go away.

Officer Harris eventually comes back to the phone and reads to me the actual CHP Code that asserts that carpool passengers must be an actual person. But he does go on to say that he indeed agrees with my sentiment that pets are indeed like people and bonafide family members who frankly deserve to be considered carpool passengers...it just "...won't happen in our lifetime." Oh well, I tried!

What do you think? Should our pets qualify as carpool passengers?

Last edited:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I know someone..could possibly be related..or not..that put a car seat in the back seat and then wrapped her rat yorkie terrier ..who is afraid of her shadow..in a blanket and strapped it in!! Duh..got busted...almost $400 ticket...and the humiliation lives on!!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
I know someone..could possibly be related..or not..that put a car seat in the back seat and then wrapped her rat yorkie terrier ..who is afraid of her shadow..in a blanket and strapped it in!! Duh..got busted...almost $400 ticket...and the humiliation lives on!!

[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION]...... I hope your yorkie terrier wasn't traumatized by the incident. :p

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.