Do you have pet insurance?

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
Everyone has recommended it (friends with bullies, our vet, & trainer).

We are planning to do this.

We got a free trial with the AKC insurance when we registered Penny, but I haven't activated it yet.

Our vet recommended the ASPCA one. He said that they pay a lot of claims that other insurances do not.

Care to sure your thoughts/experiences?

Approx. how much do you spend monthly on your premium for your dog?

Thanks!

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Personally, if I had a puppy, I'd definitely get insurance. At least that way you don't have a history of pre-exisiting conditions so you're able to claim a lot of future instances. I think the first year is also the most expensive, as allergies can spring up, cherry eye, hip issues, etc. You and other new owners will also be running to the vets more often because of 'lack' of experience with the breed.

Now that Stig's 14 months and not going to the vets as often (other than cherry eye last month, his last visit was Nov 2010), I'm considering cancelling the insurance or lessening the premium.

I'm in Canada and with PetSecure. I pay $67 incl taxes which covers everything except heartworm and neutering/spay.

Last edited:

wfd38383

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2010
Southeast, Ma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Guinness
We have VPI for Guinness and I think its around 30 a month, but def worth it. Would def recommend insurance for bullies

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
We have VPI on both Wilson and Jack. We carry a 100 deductible on Wilson and a 500 on Jack. Go figure too because it's Jack we should of done the lower deductible on. He's probably going to the vet today on an emergency as he hasn't eaten and won't drink any water in since yesterday morning. I'll know at 1 if I need to leave work and take him in. He was also just at the vet to have a baby tooth pulled that didn't want to come out. I wish I would have been smart enough to have gotten pet insurance for our old dog when he was younger as he has has a tug rope surgically removed frome his belly, he tore both cruciate ligament in his legs and had the TPLO surgery in both legs, and finally 3 years this past February he had his spleen removed. Wait he's also under going testing for Cushings Disease right now. He's cost us around 13,000 out of pocket over the years and we were fortunate to have had the $ needed during those times. I'll never be without it for the pups. :)

Last edited:

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
[MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION]..thanks for pulling up that thread.[MENTION=2594]MissPennyLue[/MENTION]...that's a great thread with lots of information! I think it will help you!

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
we have www.gopetplan.com they are one of the few compaines that DO pay for heriditary issues and with bullies you want this coverage. They paid almost 3500 for Duke's eye surgery for Entropian and they paid for all of his allergy testing and shots.. they are super nice too.

We pay 68 a month for the silver plan and it has MORE than paid us back.. the reason we purchase it was not so much to use but I would never want to make a decision because I didn't have the money to pay for something. Good Luck!!!:)

OP
MissPennyLue

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
[MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION]..thanks for pulling up that thread.[MENTION=2594]MissPennyLue[/MENTION]...that's a great thread with lots of information! I think it will help you!
Perfect, Thank You!

jmill79

Apr 1, 2011
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Chula
Do they all work the same way as in they reimburse you after the fact?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Do they all work the same way as in they reimburse you after the fact?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi[MENTION=2135]jmill79[/MENTION]..as far as I know..yes..that's how they work! I have a solution for anyone to cover the upfront cost. Get a carecredit account. It's like a credit card that vets take (actually dentists) too! You get a set limit..can take up to 24 months to pay with zero interest! Figure that way you could charge the initial cost and pay off when insurance pays..minus any deductible you might choose. We got this account a few years ago when our rottie had severe back issues and we thought a $12000. Surgery might be in our future:eek: turns out she wasn't a candidate and we just kept the account. Very easy to apply..can do online and most of the time..right at the vets over the phone. Just an extra layer of protection from the doggy poor house!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.