Harness or Leash?

kev122573

Mar 1, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Tipsy
So Tipsy has been wearing a harness since she was 5mo after a friend suggested I use it instead of leash. Now I hear on some of these dog shows that a leash is better. All my Bully books give conflicting advice. What do you guys think?

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I'm with you! My vet likes a harness so there is no undo pressure on their throat. I kind of use both..harness on longer walks and a leash in between! Except to the vets..I ain't no fool! He wears that harness there!

[MENTION=1906]GatorRay[/MENTION]..Jake went to vet today with his great gooby harness. Vet LOVED it..she's going to recommend to other bully owners she has! Thanks again!!

Last edited:

James3900

May 26, 2011
Svebolle, Vestsjalland, Denmark, Denmark
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella and Neelix
Bella has a collar on always as thats the law in DK and it must have a name tag on it but we dont use it to walk her then we use a harness. We found it very hard to get a collar she could not slip out of and also that did not rub against her fur and make her neck red so I would go with a harness every time.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I say harness. I actually put their tags on the loop on the harness so that they are wearing their tags while out. I used to use a collar but Gypsy is SUCH a puller currently that I couldn't do that to her neck. She is MUCH better on the harness and walks with it better than a collar.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I say both, If we are just going out to potty, then it is a collar and leash I keep hanging at the back door. Vet visits, nails done, walking I always use a harness. I have better control with a harness and he does not choke himself to death trying to get to the other dogs at the Vet or Petsmart.

Telly03

Community Veteran
Mar 31, 2010
Maryland
Bulldog(s) Names
Moses
I prefer a harness because I worry about the neck pressure if he pulls

Wnstnsddy

Sep 21, 2010
Va Beach, VA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
We use a harness on Winston on long walks and when we go out in public or where there might be other dogs, not that he is aggressive, but wants to play with everyone and every dog he sees. If we're just going for a short walk around the condo so he can go the bathroom, then we just use his leash. he wears a leash at all times that has his tags on it.

I think you will find the harness most helpful espeically as they get bigger and stronger, gives you a little more control, and they don't choke.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Harnesses only for Princess Gracie; color coordinated to her outfit of course. ;)

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION], you are welcome! I love that thing!

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
I have always used a harness on Mocha. I really like the fact that I am not putting any presure on her throat area. And of course is pink:heart:

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Harnesses only for Princess Gracie; color coordinated to her outfit of course. ;)

She does have one collar, but it's strictly for fashion. Won't ever be used to lead her anywhere with a leash.

Casee

May 8, 2011
Tennessee
Bulldog(s) Names
Taser
Regular collar here, I think they look better.....I don't like leaving harnesses on all the time and they are a pain to put on and off every time they nned to potty.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.