Need advice please!!

Riley Monsters Mama

Jun 23, 2011
Kailua, Hawaii
Bulldog(s) Names
Riley
My bullie Riley just turned 1 year old. She is a HUGE bundle of energy, and we love it. However, even if we play or walk her, she comes up to people and just starts barking. I contstantly have to sit on the floor, catch her, and pet her belly. As soon as I stop, she gets up and starts barking every 30 seconds or so. We have tried ignoring her, putting her outside, saying shush so she recognizes the command. Nothing seems to work, and its getting very frusterating for myself and her "Uncle and Auntie" aka her roomates. Also, the jumping on people when she comes home. She by far is the most stubborn pup I have ever owned. We put her down and say no or down. We have tried grabbing her front paws and putting them down on the ground and saying no. She doesnt seem to listen. She is only this stubborn and crazy in the evening, yet a snuggle bug in the mornings and late night. Any advice is much appreciated!!!! Aloha!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Aloha! The one thing that has really helped us with the horrible barking habit our non bully Dena had was "coins in a can!" I read about it here and finally tried it.it works so well! After only 2 times of "the dreaded can"..now all I have to do is look at it and she doesn't bark! Take an empty soda or beer can..clean it out..put few coins in it..duct tape the top and shake it when she barks..saying NO! For the jumping up..sadly I'm still working on this! But what works the best is to put your knee into their chest area when they jump and sternly say NO! Yes..these are a stubborn breed! We have another member here in Hawaii! [MENTION=410]Telly03[/MENTION]!!!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Good advice with the coins in a can. [MENTION=1539]sheila[/MENTION] made a video too of the nice ones she makes.

As for the jumping up-- well..... I have trained mine not to jump on us... But if a guest comes they just don't care. Hard one to break with bullies, hopefully others have good advice on that one. Perhaps dog training school?

Telly03

Community Veteran
Mar 31, 2010
Maryland
Bulldog(s) Names
Moses
@Riley Monters Mama Aloha Riley's Mama.... which Island you on? I live in Honolulu. If your close by, it might be fun to arrange a play date for our Bullies?

We have a 7 month Bully and he also demands attention, but doesn't do the barking or jumping up, just pushes himself through any dog or person to get to the attention giver. I have heard many success stories with the coin can... I'm anxious to hear if that works for you

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
Welcome!! I must say the jumping stills happens when we have visitors. As for barking ,Mocha seldom barks. Bullies are very stuborn and it will take some time for your new baby to figure out what is it that you want from her. Also, she will mellow as she settles into your schedule and gets older.Give her time and enjoy her puppy months!:luv:

OP
R

Riley Monsters Mama

Jun 23, 2011
Kailua, Hawaii
Bulldog(s) Names
Riley
Aloha!

We live in Kailua! Riley did not start the barking bit until about 2 months ago, so around 10 months....its driving me nuts! Is your bullie fixed yet? Riley will hopefully get spaded soon, if it works out a play date sounds great. Thanks!

@Riley Monters Mama Aloha Riley's Mama.... which Island you on? I live in Honolulu. If your close by, it might be fun to arrange a play date for our Bullies?

We have a 7 month Bully and he also demands attention, but doesn't do the barking or jumping up, just pushes himself through any dog or person to get to the attention giver. I have heard many success stories with the coin can... I'm anxious to hear if that works for you

Most Reactions