Holistic treatment for allergies

MillersandMollysmom

Jun 11, 2011
california
Bulldog(s) Names
Miller and Molly
Miller is 1 year and 9 months old and it seems the older he gets the more allergies he develops. It was his food last time and we finally found one that works but now it seems to be seasonal. He looses hair like crazy and turns red...it even caused and eye infection. We took him to the vet and he was put on steriods like always but I know that steriods are so bad for them when they are on them long term. The vet also suggested allergy testing which is very expensive and not really a cure. We are thinking about taking him to a holistic vet. I feel that maybe something natural might have more of a long term cure for the allergies without all the nasty side effects. Has anyone used a holistic vet before or used this type of remedy for allergies???

LucysMum

Mar 26, 2011
S. New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
I haven't had an experience with a holistic vet. If you think it may be seasonal allergies you may want to try a few things that helped my Lucy. I did have her tested for environmental allergies. When she is outside in the grass for an extended amount of time we keep a tshirt on her. Also, at least two times a day we wipe her paws with water and dry them. Very important to dry them well. She is taking hydroxyzine which is an antihistamine. I am so pleased how well she is doing this summer. Last summer she was a mess. Also, she takes omega 3 fish oil supplement too.

I wish you the best. Allergies stink!

OP
M

MillersandMollysmom

Jun 11, 2011
california
Bulldog(s) Names
Miller and Molly
Thank you Lucysmom... allergies do stink!!! His paws have gotten red and inflamed before but not this time... I'm trying to keep him indoors right now as much as possible. It's been in the high 90's here latley so the heat has been keeping him in, But I will try wiping him down when he comes back inside. :)

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Allergies do suck! The older Vegas got (he is now 2) the worse they got. At around a year old I was able to control with food he was so much better, but the seasonal allergies is what really suck! Vegas takes Benadryl as needed to control his watery eyes and itchiness.

Jzepeda87

Apr 22, 2011
Berwyn,il
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocky, Rocks,Papa, Charlie lol i dont know y
This is what happened to rocks...his two front paws r red and inflamed...he's limping, his left paw is the worst of the two...
I thought it was his food...but not sure....
The weather here is sooooooooooooooo up and down, blistering hot one day and then cool and cold and rainy the next, sometimes it's hot/cold/humid rainy all in one day....

Dr. Put him on hydroxyzine and Cephalexin....

He's not himself more lazy but not scratching so much....

I hope it's just allgeries and not something worse ImageUploadedByTapatalk1308876080.841270.jpg

Tiffany B

Mar 7, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Rollie and Cash
I am also going through the same thing.. Losing hair, and has a matted,snotty eye.. Last time I was at vet he gave me some gentamicin sulfate eye drops which have an antibiotic in it. Its been helping some.. I made another appointment today,but can't get in until July 8. Hope it doesn't get worse before then. Good luck, I know it's very frustrating!!

Einstein the Great

Jun 14, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
Bulldog(s) Names
Einstein
Our vet suggested an all natural topical oil when Einstein was going through the same thing. He was itching so much he started to go bald in some areas. It was called Dermoscent Essential 6. We also did the fish oil in his food. It seemed to help. We haven't had any problems this year so we haven't had to use the oil. Our vet isn't technically a holistic vet but he told us he's had dogs who have been able to stop taking their allergy medication once they started using the topical oil.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.