Puppy Classes?

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
I am unloading all of my questions on you guys today.....hope you don't mind!

We just got the clearance from our vet yesterday to start in puppy classes. There is a local place that I wanted to go to, but you have to do an orientation class prior to starting the classes and the next orientation isn't until July 20.

I have called/e-mailed a few other private places, but I haven't heard anything back yet.

Our PetCo has a puppy class starting tonight and it has two other puppies enrolled. Does anyone have experience with the PetCo classes? The instructor helped me with food the other day, and was very educated on food. She was telling me about her dogs, and then mentioned that she was the trainer there and they had a class starting tonight.

I am contemplating taking Penny tonight to get her started. I wonder about the training that the instructors have there as compared to the local place whose trainer had some certifications for training.

Thoughts? Am I being too picky? My girlfriend asked me if I was wanting to enroll her in Puppy Harvard, lol

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Would you be able to attend the first class and back out if you're not happy with the quality? I know PetSmart's policy is like that.

I'm sure Penny will be the keener in her class, no matter where she goes. =)

VuBulldogs

Jun 1, 2011
Los Angeles
Bulldog(s) Names
Po
I am thinking about puppy socializing classes. Trainers told me that Petsmart does more puppy socialization than Petco. Petco mainly focuses on Pet training. I think since the puppy is fairly young, u should focus on puppy socialization more than training. Ofcourse they train as well, but that is 2nd on Petsmart's list. First priority is to learn how to interact with other dogs and things like that.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I don't know about PetCo's classes, but Tate's currently going into his 5th wk of puppy class at Pet Smart. I think it's a solid, basic introduction in teaching commands like "sit", "down", "leave it"...very practical and always using positive reinforcement (treats). We did have a class in socialization too and the 6wk course is a good way to introduce your pup to others-- Tate practices his social skills even when he's supposed to be sitting still and listening to the teacher! So, I think it's a helpful introduction for you as an owner as well as for your bully. Of course it depends on the instructor too so you may want to get feedback from others b4 signing up (the cashier at Petsmart recommended our teacher and we really like him).
Good luck and have fun!

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
Oliver just finished his puppy class at PetSmart and I agree with @Calibaker! I know the particular trainer we had at PetSmart is also an AKC certified trainer so he's qualified to give the CGC test and administer the Smart Puppy test, which Oliver passed with flying colors. I haven't enrolled him in the intermediate class yet, just waiting for life to slow down just a bit, but am planning on getting him enrolled in the next few weeks.

OP
MissPennyLue

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
Thanks for the responses!

As a follow-up:

I decided to go. I called the store to make sure that there was still availability and she said it was now only one other pup, so I thought why not ? Semi-private class sounds perfect to me!

The trainer said that Caesar is her job reference & she did training under him. She stated positive reinforcement (treat training) and really seemed to "get" the dogs.
The other puppy in the class is a Great Pyrenees mix & is 15 weeks old and weighs 38 pounds. Of course, Penny thinks that she is his size. The trainer had us let them off their leashes, and she threw out a couple of toys. Both of the pups went for the same toy, and the other puppy lunged/bared teeth/growled at Penny over it. the trainer diffused the situation beautifully, and then said it was because Penny was being dominant over the toy and the other puppy wanted it too. Penny barked at the other puppy about 80% off the class. They did make-up fine, but I don't think we made a great first impression. She said "this behavior is characteristic for this breed."

Oy...I hope we don't get kicked out. :pray:
Good thing Penny is so stinkin cute.

I am trying not to form an opinion and just see how the class goes....I'm not sure when I became so cynical about everything.

VuBulldogs

Jun 1, 2011
Los Angeles
Bulldog(s) Names
Po
hahaah Bullies r so cute and it allows to get away with more than they are suppose to. Good luck with training! Did u end up choosing PetSmart?

OP
MissPennyLue

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
hahaah Bullies r so cute and it allows to get away with more than they are suppose to. Good luck with training! Did u end up choosing PetSmart?

We ended up going to PetCo. Our PetSmart isn't offering any classes this summer.

I am hoping it goes well! She really is a smart girl...it's a matter of cooperation on her part, lol

Kevin

Dec 17, 2011
Las Vegas
Bulldog(s) Names
Miley
Hello,

How did the puppy training go at Petco? I just signed Miley up for the puppy classes before doing my research. One of many of my impulse purchases for Miley. I was just hoping that Miley would be able to socialize with other puppies in a controlled environment.

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Any classes are good classes! The most important thing is to go and have fun with your pup. If you learn something...great...if you don't the pup gets some socialization and that's never a bad thing.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.