How to clean their ears

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
Hi there everybully:D!!!

I need to know how to properly clean Mochas ears. I clean the outer part with no problem but I am scared of cleaning the inner part with a solution.I take her to the vets or they do it at petco, but I would love to be able to this at home. I guess I just get to nervous about it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
2011 Family 622.jpg

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
Our vet gave me a little tutorial on how to clean Penny's ears with a solution. It's super easy. I give her a treat to eat and put her in the bath tub...she really could care less about it. I put in a squirt of the solution, rub the base of her ear, wait for her to shake her head, and then use gauze to wipe her ears our. Our vet said never a q-tip.

Good Luck!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Hi..a little tip my sister..who is a groomer..told me! I put witchhazel on a cotton pad and use my finger to clean. The witch hazel is a drying agent so you don't have to worry about moisture. It cleans great..is inexpensive and you can get anywhere! You are able to clean as deep as you want and nothing sharp or pointed needed! Both my dogs love this!

Angievelvet

May 28, 2011
california
Bulldog(s) Names
violet elizabeth
What kind of.solution do u use? Ive notice violet is.getting icky ears her mom had the nastiest ears lol

Erika

Apr 6, 2011
Austin, Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess, Boss Lady P, P Dawg
I get the solution my vet office uses. He taught me to get a cotton ball and tear it in half. Then soak it with the solution and put it in her ear. But try to go as deep as you can. And he said you can put some of the solution in the ear as well. I have to clean her ears every other day. One of her ear canals is really narrow and she is prone to ear infections in that ear. But if you tear the cotton ball in half, it makes in easier to get it in the ear to really clean it.

Erika and Princess

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I also have a cucumber melon ear wash that we got from the vet. I take Vegas outside squirt one ear full, massage it deeply in for a few minutes then let him shake his head, the same with the other ear. Then I take a baby wipe with my finger about an hour later and gently wipe out all the excess wax. Final step that our vet told us two weeks ago with Vegas having inner ear infections was to put a few drops of his Otomax antibiotic ear drops everytime now later that night after I do his ears. I do this about every 10 days.

Last edited:

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I know this is going to sound silly, but should I be cleaning Wilson's ears a solution? I just use a baby wipe to get the brown gunk out and then dry the ear with a cottonball.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Hey [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION]...I don't think it's "required" to have a solution! I said up above..my sister is a groomer and she likes the witchhazel ..her biggest worry is moisture left in ears! The witchhazel actually moistens but it's a drying agent so absolutely NO moisture when I'm done. I just wrap a cotton square around my pointy finger after I soak it in the witchhazel. I squeeze excess out and can reach waaaaay down in ears! They love this part..and I get gunk every day!

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Hey back atcha [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] :tease:. I'm going to have to give the witchhazel a try, I just happen to have some. I wasn't sure after reading about the solution is that was a better way to go. I've only known to use solution through the years when our dogs have actually had ear infections. Thanks for the tip!!

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I just squirt some in and rub the base of the ear. Then I take a cotton ball and put it around my finger and stick my finger as far down as I can and wipe it out :).

jortiz9758

Aug 22, 2010
Pembroke Pines Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
So after reading this thread I went out and bought some stuff. I have been using these other premoistened pads. They are expensive, smell horrible and leave my hands and his ears feeling " waxy". Never worked as advertised.
I went ahead and bought the witch hazel and these little pads. This stuff works sooooo much better. Smells cleaner not "chemically" and no residue. Price was even better. $5.00 for the witch hazel and $.99 for the pads.
This stuff will last me a good while. Great tip! Thanks.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1308961299.852483.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1308961299.852483.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 117
OP
LisaMarie

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
Thank you all!!! I also went and got the Witch hazel and some cotton balls.I will let you all know how it goes. I love all the ideas and info:heart:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.