House breaking bulldog pups

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
We brought Penny home May 6....so she's been with us nearly 8 weeks. My in-laws kept her last week because we were on vacation.

We are doing pretty well with house breaking, but she still doesn't have it completely.

She tends to go to the door, but doesn't signal that she needs out. Tonight she had an accident right by the door which I consider our fault since we obviously didn't see her! We bought a Tell Bell, but she thinks it's more fun to carry it around, toss it down the stairs, etc. My husband & I are the only ones dinging the bell around here (with her paw), lol. She has done it a handful of times purposely & we have taken her out when we knew it wasn't intentional (like when she sat on it & it dinged). I have tried standing with her and waiting for her to ding it to go out.

We take her out every 45mins to an hour and she doesn't have free access water. We give her plenty throughout the day, but always so we can take her out shortly after. We are treating after she goes outside. She nearly always goes as soon as she goes out (except for when she would rather chase moths or sun bathe).

I am on break from work until after July 4th, so I am hoping to really get this down the next few weeks. We move into a new house in August, and we are hoping to have this under control prior to our more.

Any other ideas? Tips for the bell or other ways to teach her to signal?

I do feel like we were set back a little by being away a week for vacation.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Hi..I have zero experience with the bell..sorry..but Jake was so easy I still can't believe it! We found that "his mistakes" were really OUR mistakes..either we weren't watching close enough or ignored his trips to the door! I just took him out a cole times an hour and right after eating..drinking..and playing! Are you crate training her? That really made a difference! It sounds like she is doing great and I'd say just keep reenforcing what you have taught her already.

Mack-N-MatildasMommy

Bulldog Spoiler
Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Moore, OK
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda A.K.A Sassy Pants & Mighty Mack A.K.A. Fat Peanut
You are doing the right thing. Things might be a bit set back because of the week vacation you took but no biggie!! Matilda still has accidents. At least it happens by the door.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Don't be surprised if she has a setback in your new house. She will be trained to the current one, and it will be a whole new world again when you move.

bjsfarm

Jan 12, 2011
Narvon PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Butter Cup, Ellie, Double D & CJ. Jr., Max, Doc & Willie
I am not sure what a tell bell is, but we have a hand made bell on a leather strap it goes on the door knob and does not come off, the bulldogs then use their paw when they need to go out. Bulldogs usually learn this quicker then barking or crying when they need to go out as they are by nature a quiet breed.

Keep up the consistency.... You'll have her trained in no time!

Bunchabull

Jun 22, 2011
I like to crate train. My puppy did not come out of the crate unless I could give him 100% supervision. I put him in the crate even if it was for a few minutes when I had to divert my attention even for brief moments. Then if he tried to go inside, I would make such a comotion that you would think the world was ending and immediatetly carry him outside to go potty. He only tried to go inside twice, now he has the run of the house without a problem.

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
This is what we did with Mocha. Since she also never barked by the door but she would go and stand by it. You need to pay attention to this as this is her way of telling you she needs to go. Also, everytime she gets up from a nap she will need to go pee. After palying hard , She will need to go pee, so you will have to be very attentive to this schedule.Before you guys call it a nite, take her out. She will be potty trained by the 4th of July!!!!No worries:)

OP
MissPennyLue

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
Thanks everyone!

We are doing all of the things everyone mentioned. Sounds like we just need to keep at it. :)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Patience, patience, patience, sounds like you are on the right road, just keep it up. I would not hold back water we always have clean fresh water for them all the time even in their crates. We also crate train which works for us. They will learn in time, just need to watch them for the little clues. As everyone has said, after naps, eating and play, take them out. good luck and if they make a mistake it is usually our fault for not watching. Good luck and be patient. :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online