Antihistamines

SJQuirk

Dec 21, 2010
South Dakota
Bulldog(s) Names
Louie
Louie just recently went to the vet and it turns out he has a skin infection. He has some bumps on his neck so they had to shave his neck for the new anti-biotic he is on. We decided not to get him a cone to prevent him from scratching. For now we are trying socks on his feet. I was wondering if it would be safe to give him benadryl or some other form of antihistamine?

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
I'm going to say yes. If it's an allergy related skin issue I'm sort of surprised the vet didn't suggest it already. Unless the antibiotic already has some sort of antihistamine in it.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Poor goy! As long as the antibiotic doesnt include antihisimine, you can certainly give some.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
I would check to make sure that the Benadryl isn't going to interfere with the antibiotic's effectiveness. There are things that do but I don't know if benadryl would be among them.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I have never heard of an antibiotic being affected by an antihistamine, but who knows cos I am not in the medical field!!! Yes, I would just call and check with your vet. We have given benadryl to Maggie and also our lab, Bear. If seemed to knock them out .. all they did was sleep!!! On the plus side they weren't itching either!!!!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
I give benadryl to sarah but a whole one knocks her out as well so i only give her 1/2 in the am and 1/2 in the pm. Hope louie gets better soon.

OP
SJQuirk

SJQuirk

Dec 21, 2010
South Dakota
Bulldog(s) Names
Louie
Here is a picture of Louie's neck after the vet shaved it. His neck is looking a lot better and I think Louie is feeling better too.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.