English Bulldog Personal/Home Protection Training.

Status
Not open for further replies.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
The agility portion was amazing. I didn't know bullies can do that. I'm glad it was on soft ground though. =)

I would be very impressed if someone can train bullies to know the difference between a threat and non-threats.

OP
jortiz9758

jortiz9758

Aug 22, 2010
Pembroke Pines Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
Great, this is all we need. People will think of them like they to pit bulls. This is stupid, I wish they wouldnt do that.

I'm going to have to disagree. I dont think a bully will ever reach the reputation that PitBulls have. I have owned 3 pitbulls in my life and I am a firm believer in the Breed, and the fact that the owners are to blame for messing up the reputation of a very smart, strong, and noble animal.
German Shepards, Rotties, Dogo's , Boxers, are all trained the very same way. They are "Trained" ....disciplined, to obey a command, not taught to only fight like most street pits.

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
I'm going to have to disagree. I dont think a bully will ever reach the reputation that PitBulls have. I have owned 3 pitbulls in my life and I am a firm believer in the Breed, and the fact that the owners are to blame for messing up the reputation of a very smart, strong, and noble animal.
German Shepards, Rotties, Dogo's , Boxers, are all trained the very same way. They are "Trained" ....disciplined, to obey a command, not taught to only fight like most street pits.

I agree with you 100%. Joe's always had pitbulls and I've grown up with a few in my neighborhood. They are so wonderful and smart. Joe's dad has one now (Tank) that is so unbelievably smart and such a great dog.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Well Maggie would probably greet any invader with open arms, probably try and hump their leg and then demand to leave with them!! If she did get any where near a fighting stance, the enemy would need to be open to a few time-outs whilst she caught her breath!!!

As for the pitbull statement, I agree that pitbulls are not a "bad" breed and that the fault is generally with the bad owners who have created the dog that lives in their home. These are very strong and loyal animals who will do anything to please their human. I don't know if this video will take the english bulldog to the same level in people's minds as a pitbull. However, there are enough idiots out there who already think that because the name has the word "bull" in that they are automatically a kind of pitbull. Like I said .. these people are idiots. It is those type of people that would start to see the bulldog in the same way that a lot of people see the pitbull. Sad but true!

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
I have to agree that there is so so so much ignorant people out there that will see this video for something that was not intended for. I have several friends that have Pitbulls and these dogs are so loyal and dedicated to their families(I think no one is putting the breed down).I myself have had people take the other sidewalk or pick their child in their arms when they see me walking with Mocha!!! Some acting as if Mocha is some fierce attack dog!! Everyone associates German Shepperds with being guard dog trained for that reason(not all of course, I have many friend that own them) But , like I said, some ignorant person watches this video and next thing you know, they are breeding them for this purpose.Sad , but true.

PukaMiniBulldogs

Mar 18, 2011
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Mai, Tai, and Tiki
I'm not saying that the world will turn on Bulldogs. What I'm saying is that if someone does get bitten by a bully and they find these videos on line then it will become the gosple that all English Bulldogs are like this. It's simply the beginning.

Has anyone else noticed how fast false rumer's spred on the Net? Untrue things go "viral" on the internet faster than anything else.

luvdogz

Apr 28, 2011
This is exactly what most law enforcement k9's do, all it takes is the right command Almost anything can be done with the proper training. I think these dogs are amazing and hardly "stupid". To that poster do you also think that German Shepards are "the same as pits" just because they've been trained?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You're right ... i know a little bit about personal protection aka bitework..........Many breeds can be taught to do this - biting is a natural thing for dogs. My 8 year old bully will "hit" a sleeve. That means if i put on a padded arm piece - he'll try real hard to jump up and bite it. And try to hold on. I'll try and post a video of it.

I also have a tire suspended from a strong rope and he absolutely LOVES to jump up, grab it and hang on................... just like you see the pits do............... But he's very sweet otherwise, it's just a canine drive.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I think Cutty would totally protect us if need be. Now if I let someone in vs. someone coming in while we are asleep are 2 diff things. I do know just by my hubby coming home late at night Cutty does go into attack mode when someone comes in. What he would do with that mode if pushed is another story but I do feel he would attack, he is such a tough guy anyhow. I am actually not surprised by the videos, I did watch them and thought they were very interesting. I always think of them as the old days in how they were able to bring a bull down. I know they have changed a lot in breeding etc but they are still strong as a bull and they love so full heartedly that I am not shocked they are this able to protect.

sheila

Community Veteran
Nov 28, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Butler
This is very neat. I loved the one with the agility course first. I can't imagine my lazy bug doing this. I can barely train him to "wait". Lol. I carry a gun so I don't have to worry about crazies on the street or break ins.

Wlw9x

May 10, 2011
Gardendale, Alabama, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Katie
Thanks for the post. I had no idea either that there were bulldogs trained for protection! I think Katie would protect us.. but I'm not sure. She barks and walks around to investigate if she hears a strange noise... then she will do a little growling. (I've heard her from the bedroom.) It wakes me up and kind of freaks me out and makes me wish I had a gun or something, just in case. She has never growled at a person since I've had her, and she only barks at us every now and then for attention.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I saw other stuff from these guys. I think they are awful! I'm sorry..bulldogs don't need to be trained to attack. It has nothing to do with intelligence..bulldogs don't need to be lumped into the dangerous dogs category! As a former Rottweiler owner..wait until your homeowners insurance won't cover you ..after 30 years..JUST because some a.. Ruins a breeds reputation. There are enough dogs that fill this job. Please leave bulldogs alone. I love a fit athletic dog..but agility isn't training to attack.

Last edited by a moderator:

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
You know what bothers me the most about these videos?

THEY ARE WHIPPING THEIR DOGS. for doing what they told them to do! Seriously? How is that "training?" Here, pup...do what I tell you to do, and I'm going to literally scream at you that you're being good (and sound scary, not happy) and whip you while I'm doing it!

I'm not for training dogs to fight, at all. The only dogs that should know how to do this are the K9 Units and they have a reason to know. Plus police offers don't beat their dogs. These people honestly look like jerks and I very much disagree with their training methods.

It's cool that he can do the obstacle course. But hell, my dog can do that. And she doesn't BITE someone at the end of it.

Maybe I'm just over reacting and over protective of my breed. I'm so sick of the "bully" breeds getting bad reputations. I've done so many reports on Breed Specific Legislation and researched it so much. Bulldogs are already banned in some areas around the world..even some places in Iowa (where I live). We don't need them getting a worse reputation. I already hate that Pit Bulls, Boxers, Rotties, etc. have that reputation when it's morons like this that make their dogs act that way.

I'm on a tangent now. I apologize. x.x

OP
jortiz9758

jortiz9758

Aug 22, 2010
Pembroke Pines Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
[MENTION=1909]laurendoodler[/MENTION] the bamboo rattle stick is used for noise, touch and to cause distractions.It does not hurt them and they are not "whipping" It trains them to focus on what they are doing and concentrate on the job at hand.
The yelling is always used to replicate a real case scenario. You would not be whispering orders to your dog in a heated situation.
I have two close friends who are K9 officers here in broward county Florida, and they treat all K9 dogs so much better than most families. These dogs get the best of everything, attention,love and discipline 10 hours a day... Everyday. I can see how you may not like it because it is not the norm to picture a bully like this.

I personally don't like the fact the bullies are looked at by others as lazy, good for nothing farting dogs with serious health issues.

L

Lucy-licious

Why not? It's true :rofl:

[MENTION=1104]jortiz9758[/MENTION] I would much rather people look at Lucy and laugh cos she's "fat, lazy, farty, or even ugly" then kiss and cuddle her for being so darn cute and loving, than cross the street with their children because she might bite them.

Last edited:
OP
jortiz9758

jortiz9758

Aug 22, 2010
Pembroke Pines Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
@lucy-licious I guess we are all different. I think of my dogs as my kids also. I keep them healthy, smart and busy. I wouldn't want anybody laughing or pointing fingers at my any of kids...skin or fur.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.