English Bulldog Personal/Home Protection Training.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
There are two sides to this and opinions are valid on both. However we have to understand this is a site for owners to get advice and share stories of a family pet. Agility to most all of us, contains hurdles, hoops and slides, not attacking a human at the end. No one here wants to bring negativity to the breed, however it is unfortunate that any type of "attack" or "fighting" (even for personal protection) will bring that negativity to the breed. I don't believe any dog is a "bad" dog to have, I truly believe it is the owner, But try to convince that to the Insurance Companies, The media or general population. It is true homeowners will not insure you with a Shepard or Pit breed, ask my son who has a Shepard and can't find a place to rent.
Here is a prime example. My boss was jogging down his neighborhood and there was a pit bull on a leash with the owner holding the leash. As my boss ran by him (on the sidewalk) the owner allowed his pit to jump up and attack my boss, ripping his shorts and teeth marks on his leg. The owner never pulled him back, said I am sorry etc... Well when he got home, my bosses wife posted on Facebook that "Jeff got attacked while jogging by a bulldog" I knew what she meant because just how many of our dogs would do that? Well the next day she came into the office and started on me about Bulldogs. I was like "Michelle, was it really an English Bulldog? " she said YES. I then asked my boss in front of her and he said "no Michelle it was a pitbull" So you see just someone saying "bulldog" puts all Bully breeds in the same category and causes things like this to happen. So yes, I am for protecting the breeds reputation as long as society is ignorant about individual breeds and owners.

I personally don't live in a neighborhood that would have the need to make my dogs such a viscous attack dog. And no I am not saying it is impossible for me to never be vulnerable, however with 3 dogs that bark at the cat (our cat) when she comes to the door, I am sure that is deterrent enough.

This thread and others will be watched closely. I feel at this point all views have been made and we can each individually reach an opinion. So lets please finish this conversation and move on.

H

heff101

Heff a guard dog??? LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Yeah he might look at the burglar fart and go right back to sleep.

Our previous dog was an American Staffordshire. Amazingly smart dog (much smarter then Heff) she was not mean in anyway but that said I would not want to have pee'd her off. Ended up giving her to some friends who live in the country because every time we went to visit them we had a heck of a time getting her back into the truck to go home then she would pout for days afterwards. Finally one day I just said you guys want her and now she lives the life of a princess she is sooooooooooo spoiled by them.

Last edited:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I know you love Bruno JUST the way he is. He is a beautiful dog..YOU are a responsible owner. These jerks are NOT doing what is best for ALL our dogs. Jake isn't fat..lazy..I think he's pretty smart..now..he does :fart: but not NEAR as much as my 105 lb Rottweiler did! Having had dobermans and the afore mentioned rottie..I know how awful it is to try and hide the fact you have a "dangerous breed" from my insurance inspector! I taped coverings over my front door sidelights and kept all shutters closed for a MONTH waiting for the "unannounced" inspection! Only to be busted walking my dog up my own driveway. This sweet dog wouldn't hurt anyone..yet she was stuck with a bad rap because humans thought it was "cool" to have a tough mean dog! It all starts somewhere and I think these losers are after the same thing. They are trying to make bulldogs like other "dangerous" breeds. They cannot be compared with professional trainers who train police and military dogs. They are out for
themselves..not my dog! I feel horrible for their dog.

Sorry [MENTION=770]Bella'sMom[/MENTION] ..I didn't see the last page until I posted! :blush:

Last edited:

Spinal Remains

May 31, 2011
Nassau County, N.Y.
Bulldog(s) Names
Rufus Hambone (Hambonicus, Ruffie, Baby Bone, and 'Gargoyle Boy' - he sits on arm of couch
HAHAHAHA!

Those bullies need me to test them. A few Bacon treats and a belly rub while my buddy robs them blind. I dunno about this lol.

BartonBullys

Jun 23, 2011
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson & Jazzy
Yes its true!!! Im Barton4004, my bully's are lovers at heart but on command will protect us with no hesitation. It took a while because as u all know they are a stubborn breed but with Consistsancy and alot of praise they are where they are. YouTube "LA Master k9" Tyson and jazzy are mines.

BartonBullys

Jun 23, 2011
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson & Jazzy
What is a dangerous breed? Dogs aren't bad dogs people make bad dogs. I'm simply training my dogs. I love my dogs just as much as you love yours. So before you call me a loser I train where the sheriffs and LAPD have there dogs trained in the past. My dogs are just as friendly and loving as yours but the difference is I can walk my dog OFF leash anywhere and whatever I'll tell him to do is done!!!! Look up shutznhund, thats the same thing I'm training!!!

BartonBullys

Jun 23, 2011
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson & Jazzy
I saw other stuff from these guys. I think they are awful! I'm sorry..bulldogs don't need to be trained to attack. It has nothing to do with intelligence..bulldogs don't need to be lumped into the dangerous dogs category! As a former Rottweiler owner..wait until your homeowners insurance won't cover you ..after 30 years..JUST because some a.. Ruins a breeds reputation. There are enough dogs that fill this job. Please leave bulldogs alone. I love a fit athletic dog..but agility isn't training to attack.
I would never ruin the reputation of this breed. I'm just showing that this breed can do more than just be a couch potato. DOGS AREN'T BAD DOGS, PEOPLE MAKE BAD DOGS!!! If you or anyone else were to walk up to me my dogs would lick you to death. They only do protection when told!! How about you look up schutzinhund a world wide sport. I would NEVER harm my dogs in anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
the only thing i can see Tyson protectting is his spot on the couch

dozersmama

Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
[MENTION=2622]BartonBullys[/MENTION] hello and welcome! glad you found us. i have a tyson too. I wouldjust like to say we really are a friendly bunch here yiu jusr

dozersmama

Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
stupid tablet! what i was trying to say[MENTION=2622]BartonBullys[/MENTION] is that we really are a friendly bunch who are extremely passionate about bulldogs ,sorry that your first experience here is on kind of a hot button issue. Please dont feel attacked anf feel free to look around and join in other threads. Also it may help if you could explain the use of the stick?

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
stupid tablet! what i was trying to say[MENTION=2622]BartonBullys[/MENTION] is that we really are a friendly bunch who are extremely passionate about bulldogs ,sorry that your first experience here is on kind of a hot button issue. Please dont feel attacked anf feel free to look around and join in other threads. Also it may help if you could explain the use of the stick?

From the video I saw the stick is used to hit the dog after the dog attacks! Hmmm hitting the dog after doing what you told him to do! :(

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I haven't watched the video, and with the controversy around it I don't think I want to.

My Roxy will defend me to the death, I have no doubt. She broke her leg a couple of years back jumping out the second floor window trying to save me from an argument with a cop giving me a ticket!

My Abby on the other hand.. Abby thinks God put people on the Earth to hold, pet and love on her. Stranger coming up the street? Abby plants her tiny hiney in the middle of the sidewalk so they have to notice her on their way by lol (true story, she does it every day)

dozersmama

Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
From the video I saw the stick is used to hit the dog after the dog attacks! Hmmm hitting the dog after doing what you told him to do! :(
Chanelnbrutus I know how you feel. i havent watched the videos ,however i think we should give him a chance to explain things in a nonconfrontatiolan way

BartonBullys

Jun 23, 2011
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson & Jazzy
Thanks!!! I just want you all to know I'm not a bad person nor am I trying to make my dogs bad. I love dogs and there's nothing better than having a TRAINED dog. As far as "the decoy with the stick" it's looks bad but it is a soft stick, it be like you or me being hit with a pillow. I'm not into dog fighting or making my dogs attack people for fun. I'm just doing something different to show bulldogs can be trained and are athletic. I'll post more vids on my YouTube chanel to show that my dogs are lovable bigs baby's but with a little twist:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online