Bulldog Exercise

Erika

Apr 6, 2011
Austin, Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess, Boss Lady P, P Dawg
I'm in Texas and its been staying in the 100's and up! It has been miserable. I have been in the habit of getting up every Saturday and Sunday mornings to take Princess to the park for her exercise. But now you can't even get up early enough to take her for a walk, it just stays hot. I have been taking her to Petsmart in the mornings on a Saturday or Sunday..which she loves because she gets a new toy each time :) Any other ideas?

Erika and Princess

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Stay in the AC, you are in Austin were it's hot & dry, we live outside Houston on the west side were it's hot & humid. We only let them out to do their business and may play outside a little bit just before dusk if there is a nice breeze blowing. Too hot for anything else. I like to take mine to Petsmart too but now it takes the car too long to cool down once we leave the store, so no more trips till fall. Bummer

sitartzm

May 25, 2011
Wisconsin
Bulldog(s) Names
Brewer
An idea if you have a basement would be to play down in there. It's cooler and most the time you have more room to run around.

Jzepeda87

Apr 22, 2011
Berwyn,il
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocky, Rocks,Papa, Charlie lol i dont know y
I have a treadmill and would like rocks to go on it, how do u get them to walk on it/stay on it....

Tried before but he walks a little then gets off or just stops n stands till he rolls off.....???

Jenna Zepeda

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,
Yes that is a major concern for owning a Bullie. Either TOO hot or too COLD. Due to limited time and places to go for exercise is why keeping a healthy weight is VERY important. Yes, we all know that Bullies are known for always wanting to eat. Don't let them. Just like with 2 legged children, YOU are responsible for their food. A trim body fat Bullie will require less exercise also. And you will save money on food and vet visits.
Sometimes I just put a leash on and walk around in the house. It keeps my dogs by my side, does provide some exercise and keeps them leash trained.

D o Not L e t your Bullie OVERHEAT !~!`

Good Day~

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Do you have a hallway or something you can throw a ball down? OR, you could let her out for about 5 to 10 minutes in a kiddie pool? I know, not much huh?

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I have a treadmill and would like rocks to go on it, how do u get them to walk on it/stay on it....

Tried before but he walks a little then gets off or just stops n stands till he rolls off.....???

Jenna Zepeda
I saw a Ceasar Milan episode once and they has Ashley and Pete Wentz EB on a treadmill. If I recall right, he was leased and they stood in front of the treadmill holding the leash while the treadmill was at like the 1 or 2 speed - it was slow. I'm going to be moving our treadmill since I don't use it :ashamed: to a better location so that I can use it with our other pup Jack (he's an American Staffordshire Terrier) who's 6 1/2 months now. I'm also going to get Wilson using it too so I can keep him exercised in the winter as it can get cold here in Colorado.

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
We are in west tx and lex only goes outside to potty he might sun bathe for a min or two but that's it. He loves water last weekend we took him to the lake for 3 hrs and he played and played, he stayed in the water and kept cool that way. Of course lex is white so sunscreen sunscreen sunscreen, and of course his little life jacket!! Also I have found that when I water around 9pm lex will get out and run through the sprinklers lol.. Last time we went to petsmart he had to ride in the basket plus I don't like him walkin on that hot pavement cause it's even hotter!! For the most part we run and play inside the house. He gets plenty of exercise and is fit. Just remember do not leave him outside unattended in this heat and have plenty of water!!!!

bad thing is it's only gonna get hotter :(

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I'm going to try it Monday.....:-)

Jenna Zepeda
Here's the clip at youtube.com/watch?v=NRgHA0zQ_70. Or just google "pete wentz and ceasar milan." I was wrong, their EB's on it but it's not actually doing anything. There's two EBs though :). I'm going to start very slow and the first day maybe just getting them both used to being around it, like just standing on it. Let me know how it goes. :)

Here's another article by CM. cesarsway.com/askcesar/overexcitement/Help-Using-the-Treadmill

OP
Erika

Erika

Apr 6, 2011
Austin, Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess, Boss Lady P, P Dawg
Thanks everyone! Unfortunately I don't have a treadmill for Princess. That is a good one though:) When I do take her to Petsmart, its early in the am and we always get good parking. Every night we do have her playtime at night on our bed. She loves that!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online