wfd38383

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2010
Southeast, Ma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Guinness
Guinness is doing a number on my maintained lawn and I saw some things on tablets that can lower PH in urine and lessen the damage to my lawn. Didn't want to give him anything without checking with you guys. Wondering if there are any health side effects to these types of things, thanks in advance!!

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I am not a vet or an expert in this but since lowering the pH in urine makes it more acidic, there may be less likelihood of a urinary infxn. However, i've read somewhere that a urine that is "too" acidic is not a good thing either. This is something you'd probably want to ask your vet about before giving Guinness anything.

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello, I recently attended a seminar with 4 vets and this question was asked. There are several products that can change the PH level in the dog. Some products are advertised to help with tear stains oirother conditions. What the vet said was very important.
Yes, there are products that can change the PH level. But unless you have a PH level test actually done BEFORE you start using any of these products, you have NO idea of what it even is. And unless you ALSO have the PH level tested AFTER you are using the products, you STILL do not know what the level is. And changing the PH level for the tears or urine, ALSO change the other liquids and body functions. Changing the PH level can have severe consequences unwillingly.
So like the others have posted, check with your VET but also do the tests before, during and after. Due to the cost of the vet visit and test, maybe just try something else instead.

An old fashion method of adding tomato juice to the food to reduce the acidity of the urine to help minimize grass killing is FALSE.

Since we can't post links, here is the name of a great article to review from Texas A&M Ag Center:

aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/archives/parsons/turf/Dog_lawn_problems.html

Good Day~

Last edited:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Thanks for the info, great article.

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Your welcome, some of the urban legands are actually true, but many are not. And when it comes to my Bullies, or anyone elses...not taking any chances!
Good Day~

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I was just noticing what little grass I do have (mostly sand) in my back yard has dead brown grass spots due to his pee. We have not had rain in over a month.

sheila

Community Veteran
Nov 28, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Butler
If you have any areas that aren't grassy, i would just relocate his business area, but if everything is grass, the only thing i can suggest that worked for me is to water the area he pees after he pees, everytime. i know it's ridiculous, but it dilutes and spreads the urine, and it actually makes the grass grow like crazy. there's a very concentrated amount of nitrogen in his urine, and that is what causes the lawn burns, there is so much "fertilizer" that it poisons the grass, but if it is diluted the nitrogen feeds the grass quite well. if you notice on the outside edges of the burns the grass is really green and dense.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Excellent info Sheila! You have grass???????

sheila

Community Veteran
Nov 28, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Butler
i used to before we moved. now i don't and i LOVE it. grass is nice but not when you have to take care of it. lol. rocks are easier. all you have to do is spray them with water and super odor killer!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.