help question about hips...

roxanne81

Jun 15, 2011
kansas
Bulldog(s) Names
bulldog
hello I have a 4 month old bulldog i bought from a friend for breeding.
her kneecap has been ripped from her tibila crest so she needs surgery.over 1000.00 to pin it together he also said she may always limp
the xrays show she has bad hips needless to say we will not be breeding her. i told the breeder i will not pay for the breeding rights as i can not breed her.
she told me my vet was wrong and the hips will be fine because other dogs in the line have been tested fine..she dosnt believe the hips are bad. she says she has never had a issue and no other pup of hers has ever had a issue in 7 years of breeding. i asked her how she knew that she said it had never been reported...if i didnt know her i wouldnt of thought to tell her about it so i think she is wrong on that .
she has not tested her dogs ofa. and she also informed me she would be happy to take her back and breed herself or resale to someone who would.
i will not give her back for that to happen... as i feel that is wrong.
the vet said it probly came from jumping off somthing. the tallest thing she jumps off of is 12inches.
dose anyone know if her hips would of played a part in the knee injury? or would the knee injury cause the bad hips?
the xray shows the right hip as bad and the left as WAY worse to me it looked almost dislocated....this side is also the knee side

i forgot to ask the vet and he is hard to get ahold of he is only vet he has like 15 helpers and his office is always packed and its very hard to get thru on the phone or i would just ask him...

OP
roxanne81

roxanne81

Jun 15, 2011
kansas
Bulldog(s) Names
bulldog
bulldog bad breeder...question about bad hips

hello I have a 4 month old bulldog i bought from a friend for breeding.
her kneecap has been ripped from her tibila crest so she needs surgery.over 1000.00 to pin it together he also said she may always limp
the xrays show she has bad hips needless to say we will not be breeding her. i told the breeder i will not pay for the breeding rights as i can not breed her.
she told me my vet was wrong and the hips will be fine because other dogs in the line have been tested fine..she dosnt believe the hips are bad. she says she has never had a issue and no other pup of hers has ever had a issue in 7 years of breeding. i asked her how she knew that she said it had never been reported...if i didnt know her i wouldnt of thought to tell her about it so i think she is wrong on that .
she has not tested her dogs ofa. and she also informed me she would be happy to take her back and breed herself or resale to someone who would.
i will not give her back for that to happen... as i feel that is wrong.
the vet said it probly came from jumping off somthing. the tallest thing she jumps off of is 12inches.
dose anyone know if her hips would of played a part in the knee injury? or would the knee injury cause the bad hips?
the xray shows the right hip as bad and the left as WAY worse to me it looked almost dislocated....this side is also the knee side

i forgot to ask the vet and he is hard to get ahold of he is only vet he has like 15 helpers and his office is always packed and its very hard to get thru on the phone or i would just ask him...

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
What happened to her knee cap? I don't really know anything about the hips but I do know there are people here that know alot about it!!

OP
roxanne81

roxanne81

Jun 15, 2011
kansas
Bulldog(s) Names
bulldog
Re: bulldog bad breeder...question about bad hips

dont really know let her out side and she came in limping the front porch tallest part she could jump from is one and a half steps (one step is basicly on the ground)

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
bulldogs have very shallow hip and elbow joints and hip dispaysia is very rare and often wrongly diagnosed,hip and elbow joints rely heavily on muscle to hold the joint in place,xrays should be done at 18 months once the bulldog has reached physical maturity,and only diagnosed by a vet with knowledge of this breed,all pups need to be switched to adult food at 5 months to ensure correct protien levels,too much protien will cause problems with bown growth,i would not consider any surgery till the dog is at least 18 months old and only after consulting a qualified bulldog vet,let your dog get plenty of rest,no jumping or long walks and at 5 months a lower protien source,karen

OP
roxanne81

roxanne81

Jun 15, 2011
kansas
Bulldog(s) Names
bulldog

she is at the vets right now had to leave her she has been thier for 4 days i pick her up tomorrow..she keeps ripping her bandages off so she has to be in a cone. i really hope someone could help me organize my thoughts on this i hat to be fighting with a friend over this but im not going to let her take her back to have her breed what if that hurt her .. i need direction and help

OP
roxanne81

roxanne81

Jun 15, 2011
kansas
Bulldog(s) Names
bulldog
so her hips may go back into place? and i should wait to have her knee pinned together?she was limping very bad with no wieght on that leg at all.

OP
roxanne81

roxanne81

Jun 15, 2011
kansas
Bulldog(s) Names
bulldog
the kneecap on one side is attached going up where the injury one is ripped clean away and facing a downward direction... the vet gave me 2 options have a specialest pin it or pressure bandages ...she should not be breed right? or is the breeder correct?

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
i would have her leg strapped up for an amount of time,as bulldogs are very heavy set dogs i would be cautious of limmiting excersize,jumping and would try too keep excersize down to a minimum,this is just what i would do ,but you must do what you feel is right for your dog,if shes in pain then pain meds will help,research an adult food with less protien to keep overgrowth of bones in check,find a bulldog vet,but me personally would not opperate until the dog is at least 18 months,if the vet thought your dog was critical enough he would not have suggested binding it and would have just given you the option of opperating,do as much research into bulldog conditions and be armed with info thats from people who know bulldogs,yes the breeder could be right ,hope this helps you but at the end of the day this is your dog so go with your gut feeling on this one,karen

OP
roxanne81

roxanne81

Jun 15, 2011
kansas
Bulldog(s) Names
bulldog
thank you ..i was really thinking she just was a greedy money breeder and didnt really care about her gosh now i feel kinda bad she is my first bulldog and i really love her vodoo window_edited-1.jpg

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
some breeders dont give a damn but most dedicated breeders do know their dogs,pups can do all sorts of damage just by playing rough and rarely show pain,give her another month on puppy food then switch to adult ,remember bulldogs have massive bone growth very quickly so you need to keep the protien level lowish to help her ,im sure other members can point you to a good kibble,i dont kibble feed and live in the uk so cant help you in that department,but in my opinion and if she were my dog i wouldnt opperate yet,obviously if the dog is in great pain and immobile then you dont have a choice where the kneecap is concerened,but as for the hips/elbows its a different matter,karen

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
if your struggling finding info on the web let me know and i will see what i can find,off to work now so will check your reply when i get home,karen

PukaMiniBulldogs

Mar 18, 2011
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Mai, Tai, and Tiki

Bad hips are a problem sometimes with bully's. It's really just luck weather or not you get one with or with out any health issues. You can try and seek out a good bloodline, that's why we only breed AKC bully's.

If I we're you, and wanted to keep your pup, I'd ask that your friend pay for the the medical cost's. Either that or simply ask for another dog.

Any breeder worth their salt would try to make things right with they're buyer. Obviously no one can guarantee 100% anything, but something this bad should be addressed.

Most breeder's will ask that you let them use they're vet for a second opinion and go from there.

Good luck to you and I hope my rambling helped you.

melanieian

Mar 29, 2011
Louisiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Brodie

Like [MENTION=2050]PukaMiniBulldogs[/MENTION] said I would ask her what Vet she uses and bring your bully to that Vet for a second opinion so she can't say your Vet is wrong. Then I would request again the money back for the breeding rights.

OP
roxanne81

roxanne81

Jun 15, 2011
kansas
Bulldog(s) Names
bulldog

mm everyone is very helpful and i thank you all ,as i dont know enough about bullies... but now im alittle confused with what to do and what to think...
i think you all can understand Im NOT giving her back regardless she is my wiggley buddy .she has never been away from me more than a hr untill now
im not out to get somthing for free or try to rip the breeder off she charged 2000.00 for her as she is a rare color blue merle.
i have 3 bird dogs 2 dobermans and one rottie...the rotties smush face is what got me thanking about her bullies...
i show in akc and iabca(my pointers color is not allowed in akc) and most of my dogs are imported
she was a mistake i admit that.. and she was a sper of the moment type thing...but i dont regret her she brings joy where ever she goes she has peeps all over our town she loves kids and old people and its great to see people smile.we feed her purina 1 large breed puppy she sleeps in bed with us as she refuses anything less

our other dogs hips are all basicly the same they are large dogs so proper care and food is needed..but when it comes to the bully i understand they are known to have issues. but thats all i know...
in my opinian if this were a pup i breed i would not breed her and would not excpect full rights payment. even at 4 months going on 5. it scares me to think she would take her back too breed or resale to someone else for full cost to breed. knowing she has ,or is going thru issues with hips
im confused by her reaction about dissagreeing with the vet and saying just because other dogs in the line are tested they will be fine....that dosnt add up to me... in my mind hips are either good or not.... no inbetween or grey we will not breed her regardless as this is how we feel on it and are happy to get her fixed and just keep as a pet. we personaly would not risk that on any dog
to me her reaction makes me think she is just about the money ...i had asked her prior about hip testing but i missunderstood( i thought her dogs were ofa done.but were not)
so the question i guess comes down to... is she right to still want full rights payment and thier is no reason why she shouldnt be breed or am i right in thanking she should not be breed?
wish i could down load the x ray
the best i can explain is
to me what i saw was ...the side with the knee looks dislocated and the other side looked fine to me (im not a expert)but i could see the one side getting better and could understand just giving her time..but the worst side ...it looked bad it was noticable bad even to me who is not a expert.
the vet said the knee side was extreamly bad and the other side was just bad
he did not say hip displatia he just said the hips were bad and the one side was way worse.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.