lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
That is just tragic. :(

How hot was it??

Delilah goes outside when it's hot but not for very long. And I wouldn't take her on a long walk when it's really hot or anything. But now I'm paranoid..

Texas has been hitting 106 or higher the last month!!! And where they live it closer to the ocean so it's a lot more humid than where I'm at in west tx..

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
omg, I just did the fahrenheit to celcius conversion and am appalled at the results. I'm frightened of a mere 80 degrees for Stig!

Wow we are happy when it's in the 80's in tx that is cool for us lol... Anything above 80 is pushing it but I'm not as worried when he's outside when its 85 as I am now "106"..

OP
Davidh

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Down here in Houston it has been 100 -102 degrees, way too hot for a bully to be out more than a few minutes. We do not walk ours in this heat. It's out the door to do your business and right back in. I warn people who want to buy a bully to DO NOT use a doggie door because they will go outside to sunbath which they love to do and never come back in.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Oh, my...that is such sad news. Once it hits 80 it is just quick in and out for potty for my guys. We do go out in the evening right before dark when it has cooled off for a few minutes to play.

Einstein the Great

Jun 14, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
Bulldog(s) Names
Einstein
That's too bad! This is something I've always been very cautious about bc our breeders gave us a good talking to about this issue when we got Einstein.
We must be very lucky up here in Indiana. We've had a few days where it got up into the 90's but for the past few days it's been in the low to mid 60's where we live. So we've been out walking while we can. When it does get hot our AC is on full blast and all Einstein does outside is do his business. But he's a sun bather too. It just started this year and really surprised me since he doesn't tolerate the heat well.

PukaMiniBulldogs

Mar 18, 2011
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Mai, Tai, and Tiki
Our mini's do great in the heat. Of course we are out there the whole watching them while they are using the potty and playing afterward. We limit they time outside always but one thing we've found that's great after being outside on hot days is ice. That's right, they love to eat ice and it cools them off!

Bella Cows Mama

Feb 4, 2011
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella Cow
Bella does good in the heat too and rarely gets into a heavy pant session. She gets ice as treats too and we also purchased an ice collar for her that we have yet to need to use.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
We don't really have to worry about heat YET.....right now it's 60 to 70 (70 if we are lucky). But I always watch them regardless...since they aren't use to anything above 60 to 70. We have the kiddy pool set up (which is currently filled with rain water), cool collars for outdoor play...and I have a water bottle that comes with me for each car ride. Air conditioned house (which is not being used....but the heat is.

The guy who designed the kool collar lives in Oregon. In 70 degree weather..two dogs died from heat exhaustion. So..it doesn't matter where you live. North, South, East West........if you own a dog, you need to be aware.

Last edited:

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
THAT is heartbreaking! I have told so many people about how this breed and other short nose pups can die so easily and I swear they look at me like I am just a paranoid mom. VERY sad that it takes something so horrible for people to learn. :(

Spinal Remains

May 31, 2011
Nassau County, N.Y.
Bulldog(s) Names
Rufus Hambone (Hambonicus, Ruffie, Baby Bone, and 'Gargoyle Boy' - he sits on arm of couch
That is heartbreaking! I am so sad for that poor little guy.

I'm only in NY, and today I was worried about Hambone. he was outside for a couple hours in my sis' yard @ 85 degrees. He was seemingly very hot and uncomfortable. I felt a little weird for being so concerned, but after reading this I am glad I took him home to rest in AC. I hope the owner doesn't make such an awful decision ever again. The poor little guy couldn't say "help me" :cry:

luvdogz

Apr 28, 2011
worried about Hambone.

Now, that's a cute name!! LOL

I get up at the crack of dawn to walk my two - i'm out there for the first hour of daylight ,literally. It's not even totally light out yet. I am in sweats and a long-sleeve shirt so i figure it's cool enough out for them. But after that, it's no exercising in the heat. My bull will vomit if overheated it seems. Once (long story) he got accidentally taxed in the heat and i had to leave him to go get the car and drive over to get him.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.