Thread: Please watch your bully in the heat

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Kim
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Please watch your bully in the heat

I took the boys to my sister's for the afternoon after getting weighed on Monday and we were sitting on her deck. The temp was probably in the mid to high 70's and of course all the dogs (including her own lab) had to be on the deck with us, so we just kept filling up their bucket to drink from, pouring water on the deck to cool it off and pouring water on them. They just wouldn't go down into the yard under the shade trees where it had to be so so much cooler. They had to be up on the deck in the sun with us. I always watch my boys. We have a huge, sunny backyard and deck and in what I call the back 40, we have a grove of trees and the boys like to wander around back there behind the barn and in the trees, but the trek out there and back is sometimes long when the weather is too warm.
    Kim, Lord Sebastian, Sir Oliver, Remy Le Beau, and Gracie Lou <3

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    VEGAS
    Likes (Received)

Tragic, this is the time of year where we too are hitting 100* with heat index. Vegas only goes out on a leash to pee/poo and right back in. This is also the time of year I enlist my son and his dog for indoor air-conditioned play dates usually twice a week. Poor Vegas is so bored.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Brodie
    Likes (Received)

That breaks my heart into a million pieces. SO SAD!!! How terrible of that owner! I live in Louisiana and we have been in the 100's I have not taken Brodie for a walk since March because it has been to darn hot! He goes out to potty then comes right back inside. We run around and play inside to burn off energy. He will not be able to go out for walks until around late September or October because of the heat here. We took him to Pet Smart the last weekend and I told him that was his last trip to Pet Smart for a long time also because it took almost the entire car ride to the store before it started cooling off in the vehicle. When we got to Pet Smart he was panting so hard I was scared. I took one of the little bowls they have there and put water in it for him but he was scared of the bowl and would not drink any water. So needless to say we won't venture out anymore until after it starts cooling down. We are going to Tennesse on July 1st until July 8th and he is coming with us but we are going to have the vehicle running until it is cool in there before we leave so he doesn't get hot.

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    lex 19 months
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by laurendoodler View Post
    That is just tragic.

How hot was it??

Delilah goes outside when it's hot but not for very long. And I wouldn't take her on a long walk when it's really hot or anything. But now I'm paranoid..
    Texas has been hitting 106 or higher the last month!!! And where they live it closer to the ocean so it's a lot more humid than where I'm at in west tx..
    Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    lex 19 months
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by savemejeebus View Post
    omg, I just did the fahrenheit to celcius conversion and am appalled at the results. I'm frightened of a mere 80 degrees for Stig!
    Wow we are happy when it's in the 80's in tx that is cool for us lol... Anything above 80 is pushing it but I'm not as worried when he's outside when its 85 as I am now "106"..
    Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Katie
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by laurendoodler View Post
    That is just tragic.

How hot was it??

Delilah goes outside when it's hot but not for very long. And I wouldn't take her on a long walk when it's really hot or anything. But now I'm paranoid..
    Yep, I'm paranoid too! Better safe than sorry, so Katie will be staying home from the race track until the temp drops, for sure!

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

Down here in Houston it has been 100 -102 degrees, way too hot for a bully to be out more than a few minutes. We do not walk ours in this heat. It's out the door to do your business and right back in. I warn people who want to buy a bully to DO NOT use a doggie door because they will go outside to sunbath which they love to do and never come back in.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

I am in total control....I think Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Oh, my...that is such sad news. Once it hits 80 it is just quick in and out for potty for my guys. We do go out in the evening right before dark when it has cooled off for a few minutes to play.

Wrinkle Wiper Einstein the Great's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Einstein
    Likes (Received)

That's too bad! This is something I've always been very cautious about bc our breeders gave us a good talking to about this issue when we got Einstein.
    We must be very lucky up here in Indiana. We've had a few days where it got up into the 90's but for the past few days it's been in the low to mid 60's where we live. So we've been out walking while we can. When it does get hot our AC is on full blast and all Einstein does outside is do his business. But he's a sun bather too. It just started this year and really surprised me since he doesn't tolerate the heat well.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Mai, Tai, and Tiki
    Likes (Received)

Our mini's do great in the heat. Of course we are out there the whole watching them while they are using the potty and playing afterward. We limit they time outside always but one thing we've found that's great after being outside on hot days is ice. That's right, they love to eat ice and it cools them off!

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mocha Bubbles
    Likes (Received)

How can you own a bully or a pug and not know about the effects of hot weather in the breed??
    LisaMarie

Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella Cow
    Likes (Received)

Bella does good in the heat too and rarely gets into a heavy pant session. She gets ice as treats too and we also purchased an ice collar for her that we have yet to need to use.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads