Question: jumping from furniture to the floor

SunDog

Mar 26, 2011
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Lupe (or Lulu)
Hi Everyone,

Iā€™m new-ish to the forum, but am three years into owning a bully, Lupe. She is the love of our lives as I see is the case for any Mom or Dad of a bully! I have a behavior issue/question: Our dogsā€”other one is a boston terrier--are welcome on our furniture. Yes, itā€™s a little more laundry, but I donā€™t have children andā€¦thatā€™s just the way weā€™ve rolled. Lupe never took to the crate so she sleeps on quilts on the couch or (more recently) between me and my husband at night. The problem: she jumps from the couch or bed to the floor when itā€™s time to go do something. Iā€™m terrified sheā€™ll hurt her ankles or joints. Even though our bed is on a low platform, it still seems like this will be a problem when she gets older (if not already). She doesnā€™t seem to have a cause-effect process (do any dogs?), she just goes for it. Sigh. Not sure how to train this out of her. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_0534.jpg
    IMG_0534.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0567.jpg
    IMG_0567.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 82

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Hi fellow Californian!
Lupe's a gorgeous girl! What an adorable face!!

I don't have an answer to your question but I'm sure someone(s) does on this board. I have the same issue w/Tate...he's been jumping off the sofa onto the hard floor and i worry about the little guy's joints too.

Am curious to hear what other's say about this as well...

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Lupe is a cutie! I'm on Bulldogs 5 & 6 over a 30 year span and have not had an issue with Bulldogs jumping down off a bed, couch or chair on tile or hardwood or out of a car on to cement. These Bullys have so much strength in their front half they do well absorbing the jump down. My 8 year old, Mack, has a fused spine and does have some problems jumping up. I put a stool out for him to step up on then step on to the couch which he uses sometimes but he usually gets a run at the couch and makes it up. It makes me tear up when he doesn't make it first jump, but he doesn't like to be helped up either. He is very stubborn and determined.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.