cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
For the past almost 8 years I've owned a lovely, custom made suede sofa with goose-down filling...a treat for myself when I moved into my new home. It's chocolate brown with orange piping (two of my favorite colors!); it's something I loved lounging on after a long day at work, and a piece of furniture that I thought I would have for the rest of my life..., uh that is, until my Tate came along. You see, now the lovely brown suede is covered in a combination of puppy hair embedded into it, doggy drool, cleaned up pee (i did use Nature's Miracle on it tho), and other remnants of Tate's lounging. I'm actually a bit embarrassed to have people over b/c of the sofa...it doesn't look very inviting at the moment.:nope:

Yes, I know I did this to myself...I am the one who helps him climb up the sofa, afterall. And I didn't even think about covering it with a protective material when he first came home.

So, I'm wondering, what kinds of sofas do you guys own that has stood the test of time w/your bullys? Also, any suggestions on a good cleaner? Luckily the coverings zip off so i can take them to the cleaners if necessary!

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I bought a new sofa and loveseat a month before we got Vegas, he is only allowed on the loveseat where I sit. After scrubbing, snot, drool and where he licks himself I have rubbed it raw cleaning it. My couch looks like brand new because he is not allowed. My loveseat instead of having microfiber is like a pair of stiff jeans, lol. I don't think there is such a thing as the "right" furniture for bullys!!!

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
Leather couch and love it!!! We have a cloth chair he loves to lay on but we try to cover it as much as possible

valleygirl214

Jun 9, 2011
Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Valentine and Dolly
We have microfiber and after teenagers, toddlers, and dogs it's pretty trashed:p If/when we get a new sofa it will be leather just because it's so much easier to clean. But...our two dogs we have now we are just starting out with so we don't allow them on the furniture. We have big plush beds for them on the floor. I do allow our puppy to sleep with us right now but my husband is kicking her out due to her snoring:(

Anyway...I've kept the microfiber looking decent by just washing the covers as needed. There are a few tears and the cushions themselves could use some kind of crazy steam cleaning for dog odor but oh well.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Do yourself a favor and get leather furniture if you're going to let the dog on it...I fought the good fight with my microfiber and put sheets and throws and blankets over it but finally got a leather couch and now it's good as new with a damp cloth, no matter what the bullies do to it!

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Leather is so easy to clean the hair and drool off, I love it. It does get scratched some when they nest. We don't have pillows anymore because ruggles chews them!

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
Just bought an almost brand new leather couch off craigslist from an elderly couple. Best thing ever!!! I had a hunter green microfiber couch and all I did was clean it all the time!!! Soooo happy with the new couch. :)

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
You know...we have a dog couch too. It is actually a love seat that is covered with slipcovers. They love to sleep there too and I could care less if they get on it. We do have two other sofas that we use and they are not allowed on those as they are custom covered cloth. But the dog couch and the leather sectional is open season.

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Thanks guys! I have been thinking of getting a leather sofa and now it looks like i'll be keeping my eyes peeled for an affordable one. Just gotta figure out what to do w/my sofa tho...

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
We have Microfiber and Delilah isn't allowed on it. I think my Mom would throw a fit if Delilah ruined her couches! :eek:

Leather is probably the best bet. I'd just be afraid of scratching. Whatever furniture Delilah gets on though, you can tell. She leaves behind stains and hair...oi! She leaves these weird red marks on my bed. sigh..oh Delilah.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Got-Junk? service took my first couch away last year. All I have is one lazy boy rocking chair and the armchair for the dogs. Good to know that leather is the way to go when you have dogs. I always thought leather was something you had to baby and condition but I guess all those toenail scratches give it character. :D

L

Lucy-licious

Leather for the win :) however if you have cats too be prepared to have it scratched and pitted!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Interesting subject!!! We too are guilty of letting the dogs on the couches and really wish we hadn't started it now!! We have cloth covered couches that luckily have zip-off covers that I can wash. However, we brought them over from England with us and they are now looking a bit shabby and old. So far I have yet to find a fabric covered couch with removeable covers over here in Ohio, but also haven't looked TOO closely.

I'm suprised that everybody has voted a huge YES for leather .... I suppose I always thought that it would get ripped and scratched from all those doggy claws!!

Unfortunately, my husband hates leather. He says he "sticks" to it ..... :crazy: :hahaha:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online