Sometimes Aggressive Dog

kev122573

Mar 1, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Tipsy
Okay so my 1YO Ms. Tipsy has slowly become people shy/aggressive. She is unsure of anyone who approaches her and if anyone tries to pet her, she avoids them.

Today was very embarrassing, my neighbor reach down to pet her and she jumped up and tried to bite his hand. She kept barking away. I was so shocked, I didn't know what to say or do so I looked like an idiot just standing there with a cute barking bulldog. To her defense, she was home all day and she had a bunch of built up energy.

She is good with certain people but she isn't too fond of the strangers. What would you guys suggest? When she starts barking at strangers who aren't event paying attention to her, what should I do or say? I tried to make her sit but she is too worked up. My trainer said to just turn and walk away but sometimes, the space I am in like the elevator isn't convenient. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Maybe take her to the park a couple times a week where there is a lot of people. Explain to anyone who approaches that she is in training. Perhaps she just did not like your neighbor!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
You can try with a quick tug to the side with the leash or tap firmly on the side of their neck and with a firm NO to redirect their attention. You may have to do this several times before they finally get it. Also make them sit down. It takes patience and be consistence. If you can maybe tell your neighbor what you are doing and maybe they can work with you. Sit the dog down and have your neighbor or a friend walk up to the dog and if they bark or show signs of aggression tap the dog and say no, and have your friend stop at the same time. Once the dog stops the barking have your friend come a little closer and repeat the process. It takes time and eventually your dog will come around. Take them for a walk first to work off some of the energy that has built up during the day and then do the exercise. You put yourself in the alpha dogs place, be kind but firm. Hope this helps.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online