Do you take your baby to the park for fireworks?

LisaRN

Apr 24, 2010
Buffalo NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester
We usually make it an evening at the park on the 4th and then watch the fireworks. Do you take your baby to the fireworks? Chessie wasn't afraid at the girls track meet when the starter pistol went off several times, but fireworks are a whole different thing. I don't think the temps will be an issue - it cools off in the evening here, will be in the 60's. I won't take my shih tzu as he is too high strung around people, but Chester lives for being around people... not sure what to do. :confused:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I wouldn't bring any of mine, not even sure if I will go. My experience with my two oldest children is that they are afraid of them until they are around 4 years old, so I don't wanna scare my two babies. I am speaking about my human children , which is why I would never take one of my bullies. They freak when there is a thumderstorm - the bullies that is. Does any of this make sense?? I don't even know where I am going with this...LOL

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Before our bulldogs, we had a dalmatian. He was freaked at the fireworks. FREAKED! I didn't want that for my next one, so when it was time for the 4th we took Vegas right into the middle of it. I put cotton in his ears, and took him to our friends BBQ. The first time he heard them, he jumped. After the first few minutes, he could care less. I'm so glad we exposed him to it like we did. He could care less about thunder storms or fireworks. We plan to do the same with Orion. She's a little more curious about noise than Vegas is. I hope we can desensitize her fairly quickly.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Have never taken the boys or even thought to. Hoping to take Sierra this year tho so lets keep out fingers crossed she likes them. :)

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I had never thought of taking Sam either. I think that is a great idea though Libra, getting them used to it when they are young so they don't freak out every time there are fireworks or thunderstorms.

bustarop

Apr 4, 2010
Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster; Star; Opal
I wouldn't take mine, even if I did live in a cooler climate.....it really is no place for a dog. Even if the temp is cool, the excitement of being around all the people, all the noise, can get them over excited and overheated. A friend of mine lost her bullie to overheating just because he got so excited & nervous about going to the vet, and this happened in ALASKA! So, I say keep them in their crate at home. Much safer.....

bbstubbles

Jan 31, 2010
Tucson, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Olaf & Ivana
I could see Olaf pooping his pants over the noise....so he will be staying in if we actually go.

Most Reactions