cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
When would an EB puppy be considered an adult? is it at age 1yo?

i'm just curious when I should be expecting more "mature" behavior from my baby Tate. He's not yet even 5mos old and yet he's growing up so fast and getting so big.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
2 years old is when they are mostly fully matured, physically anyhow. My boy mellowed out around 2 also but I am sure they are all different.

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Define mature behavior....Honestly, my boy Bulldogs have continued their playful, impish behavior pretty much up until the onset of health problems that leave them not feeling good. Mack just turned 8 and has a heart problem that is corrected by medicine and he has a fused spine that he gets supplements and pain medication for but he still steals socks and underwear and plays catch me if you can, he'll snag a hand towel if is where he can get it and find Ruggles to play tug. My experience is that Bulldogs stay youngsters most of their life and when they start going down hill, they go fast.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Oh yes Cutty is 5 1/2 and still plays fetch for hours if you let him BUT thankfully at around 2 is when he stopped eating shoes, couch cushions, baseboards, etc... Although he still LOVES a good tissue if you give him a half a second it will be gone. :ROFL:

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Define mature behavior....Honestly, my boy Bulldogs have continued their playful, impish behavior pretty much up until the onset of health problems that leave them not feeling good. Mack just turned 8 and has a heart problem that is corrected by medicine and he has a fused spine that he gets supplements and pain medication for but he still steals socks and underwear and plays catch me if you can, he'll snag a hand towel if is where he can get it and find Ruggles to play tug. My experience is that Bulldogs stay youngsters most of their life and when they start going down hill, they go fast.

I guess I'm thinking along the lines of Tate not sinking his teeth into everything he sees on the ground...but sounds like age is not a guarantee that this will stop. Also thinking about the sleeping habits of pups vs. adults; i know that puppies require many hrs of sleep per day but then i hear that older bullies sleep a lot too.

I'm so glad to know that Mack has lots of fun despite his health concerns. He's a tough and sweet cookie.

Telly03

Community Veteran
Mar 31, 2010
Maryland
Bulldog(s) Names
Moses
[MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION] I have had issues with Moe picking up everything he can off the ground, and it would scare the crap out of me. I have dug out worms, slugs, and even a dead baby bird from his mouth. He could pick stuff out of the grass without missing a step, and the only way I would know is that I would see his mouth going through chewing motions. At 5-6 months though, it really isn't an issue anymore, he has grown out of it. He will still chase down an occasional leaf that is being blown across the yard, but he immediately drops it when I give him a stern "drop it" command. I guess that by me continuously telling him to drop stuff, he has learned to quit picking up stuff.

L

Lucy-licious

Lucy is now almost 11months and still likes shoes, cushions and remotes :lol:
The only way I know she has something is the bulge of her jowls, I am constantly fishing around in there for her latest find. And [MENTION=410]Telly03[/MENTION] how did you teach Moe what "drop it" means? Lucy thinks it means "run n hide under the table where Mummy struggles to get me!" mind you she also thinks "No" means that too :lmao:

Sweetfaceforme

May 9, 2011
Tennessee
Bulldog(s) Names
Biscuit
Biscuit likes rocks so I have to watch her. She also likes cardboard, tissues, flip flops, lint, furniture. I have a recliner that has the handle chewed up. :nonono: We try to provide her with something to chew. My living room floor looks like I run a daycare.:ROFL:

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Well...as far as chewing on things or people, Gator is 8 months and doesn't do it anymore...but Gypsy eats anything and everything. Especially SHOES. She is just a few days shy of 5 months.

Telly03

Community Veteran
Mar 31, 2010
Maryland
Bulldog(s) Names
Moses
Lucy is now almost 11months and still likes shoes, cushions and remotes :lol:
The only way I know she has something is the bulge of her jowls, I am constantly fishing around in there for her latest find. And [MENTION=410]Telly03[/MENTION] how did you teach Moe what "drop it" means? Lucy thinks it means "run n hide under the table where Mummy struggles to get me!" mind you she also thinks "No" means that too :lmao:

[MENTION=1648]Lucy-licious![/MENTION] Moe gets a walk everyday, and when he picks something up I would tell him to "drop it"... at first I would have to pry whatever it was out of his mouth after the command, but it really didn't take long for him to figure out what I was asking for.

Most Reactions