Dog Food (New)

May 24, 2011
Chicago
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Winslow aka The crop duster
Hello everyone, I would like to change Winslows Food however I really don't know where to start. Probably something in the middle not to expensive. Trust me I want the best for my bully but having 4 kids is not cheap so I'm trying to keep the cost down somewhat. Winslow is not having any issues, however the dog Food he is on is a Cosco brand that's not that great. Thanks. The Rodriguez family.

Sir Winslow (Tapatalk)

SargeandGriffon

Mar 26, 2011
Charlotte, NC
Bulldog(s) Names
Sergeant Mako (Sarge)
First, I love your name @breakingwindbullie. Second, does your pup have any troubles with allergies, interdigital cysts, yeast infections, etc? If so, you're like the rest of us, and need to make sure your dog food is grain free and doesn't have chicken. I strongly suggest Taste of the Wild, at my local dog food store I can get the 30lb bag for $40-$50. But don't think that an expensive food = good food. My dog Sarge was on Royal Canin which is $50+ for a bag and it was terrible! Actually... your bullie may stop "breaking wind" as often once he gets on a good food - Sarge did!

Also, I was going to ask the forum this anyways but I saw a new brand of dog food at PetSmart over the weekend and was wondering if anyone had checked it out? It was called Simply Nourish and I read the ingredients (Salmon and Sweet Potato) and it looked pretty good and is ~$45 for a 30lb bag.

May want to check it out!

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
Hello everyone, I would like to change Winslows Food however I really don't know where to start. Probably something in the middle not to expensive. Trust me I want the best for my bully but having 4 kids is not cheap so I'm trying to keep the cost down somewhat. Winslow is not having any issues, however the dog Food he is on is a Cosco brand that's not that great. Thanks. The Rodriguez family.

Sir Winslow (Tapatalk)

[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] would know best, but I believe the costco brand is actually pretty good! It's "Kirkland" right?

bjsfarm

Jan 12, 2011
Narvon PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Butter Cup, Ellie, Double D & CJ. Jr., Max, Doc & Willie
I don't know a lot about all kinds of dog foods.... I have just sold and fed Prism Dog food for the last 5 years and I have seen many bulldogs "cured from allergies, skin trouble, and eating disorders" My current 6 bulldogs have no problems on this food and selling it, we have more then 50 English bulldogs on the adult formula with the same results. Best of all price is just $21.35 a 40lb. bag ... shipping is extra. Lamb & Rice formula is also available. Not trying to toot my horn.... just stating facts.

SargeandGriffon

Mar 26, 2011
Charlotte, NC
Bulldog(s) Names
Sergeant Mako (Sarge)
Wow [MENTION=1703]bjsfarm[/MENTION] - that is a great price! Wish Sarge could handle rice :( Do you have any grain/potato free formulas?

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
If I remember correctly, [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] did a food trial with the costco brand and it did ok, gave some tear stains and gas. I, personally, think if it aint broke don't fix it! lol. Some here have done with with Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diet. I don't think that is too terribly expensive.

bjsfarm

Jan 12, 2011
Narvon PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Butter Cup, Ellie, Double D & CJ. Jr., Max, Doc & Willie
@SargeandGriffon Sarge can't handle white rice or all rice? The adult formula has no white rice in it, just a bit of brown rice. The difference with prism is that it is filled with meat and very little other ingredients, so if you have tried a food with a little meat and a lot of the other ingredients that could very well be the reason he couldn't handle it. Prism all has a little bit of corn in as well.
Prism is made by Eagle Pack, a top of the line dog food..... they make Prism of the very same US ingredients as in their regular formula but in a plainer bag for a discount price, for people who have a budget, have a bunch of dogs/puppies to feed etc. They do not advertise it or make a big deal of it, so that is why its so hard to find and most people don't know the truth about it.

@breaking wind bullie I agree with @Gator Ray If its not broke.... don't fix it! :)

OP
breaking wind bullie
May 24, 2011
Chicago
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Winslow aka The crop duster
Winslow is fine, no problems at all. Just getting suggestions. Thank you for your input. Brian and Jen

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Winslow is fine, no problems at all. Just getting suggestions. Thank you for your input. Brian and Jen

I'm late here..sorry..the Costco one is called Natures Domain. Made by the same mfg of taste of the wild..desertskybulldogs has a blog going about it. I saw it today at costco..$32.00 for large bag. I think she said she would rate it in the middle. Think it might be a great option for you to try. Also we used to feed our rottie the kirklands lamb and rice and our vet said for her it was a good food. If Winslow is doing fine..I wouldn't rock the boat! But if you do want to try a new one..the natures domain might be a place to start!

Casee

May 8, 2011
Tennessee
Bulldog(s) Names
Taser
I feed Taser Blue Wilderness puppy .....it's seems to be working for him real well....he was on Wellness Puppy...gave him diarrhea....

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I think Wellness puppy gave just about all of them that tried it diarrhea. lol I didn't have much luck with TOTW either. My mom is starting with Natural Balance LID to see how it goes with her pups. If it isn't the right food, she will just go strait to Fromm.

Good luck [MENTION=2447]breaking wind bullie[/MENTION]

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I agree if it is working then I wouldnt change. BUT if you do decide to make a note of what you are using now so you dont forget what did work if you need to switch back. I used to use canidae and it worked very well for Cutty and I decided to switch to the better brands. Ever since I have been fighting something or other. lol I was tempted to switch back but they changed their food a little and I knew it just wouldnt be the same for us. lol.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I think Wellness puppy gave just about all of them that tried it diarrhea. lol I didn't have much luck with TOTW either. My mom is starting with Natural Balance LID to see how it goes with her pups. If it isn't the right food, she will just go strait to Fromm.

Good luck [MENTION=2447]breaking wind bullie[/MENTION]

Thats EXACTLY what my vet does! Starts bullies on natural balance and let's us go from there! Most of the bullies she sees do well on natural balance..Jake did ok..but I just felt he could do better and I think he is. Not through first bag yet of Fromm..so withholding total decision!

Jzepeda87

Apr 22, 2011
Berwyn,il
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocky, Rocks,Papa, Charlie lol i dont know y
Rocks poo is awfully mushy...still hopefully it will firm up...I just changed him to Fromm beef frittata and I am hoping he can stay on it, how long should I give him or how Long does anyone estimate it might take for him to adjust.....?

Jenna Zepeda

meatys mom

May 6, 2011
georgia
Bulldog(s) Names
meaty
I have meaty on fromm surf and turf and the fromm beef. He is doing sooo great!!! The nvi gave him terrible tear stains!!! I buy the small bags and just switch off. I also bought some canned rabbit and but a little in his bowl each morning! His allergies are at bay and all his hair has grown back.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.