Personality trait or...?

Gyarr

May 31, 2011
I know dogs can vary in personalitiy as much as humans do, but this being my first bulldog I have some questions you fellow bully lovers may know.

First, I havent found any toys he seems intersted in. We have tried rope toys, Kongs, lil tires, the only thing he seems to even touch is a little retriever bone and even then he doesnt chew on it, just carries or nudges around. Any recommendations with this?

Second, which ties into the first, he seems more interested in petting or scratching more than anything else. And as much as I am growing to love him I can't pet him for hours strait. Is this normal for a bully to want constant petting?

Thanks for any advise given, I love that there is a community I can go to with people that actually own bullys rather than just the vet or second hand sources.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Ok. Ok. Altogether now! Try ANTLERS! I nag everybody here about how much they love these! Also Jake loves his nylabone bone! The orange one with the teething ends is his fave! I got about 4 sizes and some are too small..one is too big..but the orange one is just right! He loves balls too...but I am starting to believe he has an unhealthy obsession for them! Awwww......enjoy the petting part! Lol. You have no choice!

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
HRH wouldn't play with any of her toys for months when we got her. Then all of a sudden it just happened that we got something to interest her. (A nylabone) then after that she's pretty much taken anything that I offer her when I get home from work in the evening and she's so excited to see me and wants to play for about 15 minutes. She actually brings her pick of the day up to the couch to play with me.

She's "killed" a bunch of stuffed toys we got at various times (cheap ones, so no big loss) But we've also bought a couple things that she hasn't destroyed yet.

As for petting, she will let us pet her as much as we will, anytime. But if we stop she gets down and lays in her bed and goes to sleep. But she's 4 1/2. How old is your guy? That could be part of it too.

LucysMum

Mar 26, 2011
S. New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
Google Jolly egg and jolly ball (teaser). We play with these outside and Lucy really likes them. [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] mentioned antlers. Lucy loves these too. (Plus she has allergies so beef bones are a no-no.) We have to limit how long she can have them daily because she can chew on them for hours.

As far as petting--Lucy is a lovebug when she is in the mood. She likes to lay near us and she loves to be stroked. I can't do it all of the time--but at night when we are all winding down I like it!

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
It's funny when lex gets a new toy he won't even give it a second look, but after a day or 2 he will start playin with them. Not sure if it's cause when we first bring it home it doesnt have "our" smell on it or cause it's new and he has to get use to it being there... O and enjoy all that lovin cause once they get older they would rather play than cuddle w u. Well that's how lex is lol..

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
My husband and I share the petting duty with BabyGirl. Plus she insists that I look at her while I'm petting by scratching my shin. On walks she cuts me off so I can pet her (more for reassurance than affection I think) and then she will walk a bit more and stop again for more petting. Good thing she is cute and loveable cause this is definitely a labor of love. She's not too much into toys. I give her a stuffy toy Seal that I got from Sea World and she trots around with it in her mouth but not for long. Ordered those deer antlers so I'm hoping that keeps her entertained. Wilson my other bully (we call him the good son because my Frenchton Louie is such a little devil) is satisfied with a few butt rubs and just naps and lounges. So as you say dogs are as different as people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

James3900

May 26, 2011
Svebolle, Vestsjalland, Denmark, Denmark
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella and Neelix
Bella seems to love balls the most, especially if they are soft and make a lot of noise. She will run around with them for what seems like hours making as much noise as she can. She also loves to be petted and will sit next to me having a belly rub but Neelix does not really care for petting, a few mins and he is off again to play with the other dogs.

Here is Bella guarding her balls while she sleeps and she will wake in an instant if you go anywhere near them.

5542755730_67c22a37eb.jpg

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Our guys really like stuffed toys. I found some without stuffing so that they can't open them and get choked. They also really like the beef marrow bones I buy but they are kind of messy so I am going to switch to antlers. Another toy they seem to like is the stuffed animal that you put empty water or coke bottles in. It makes a cool noise and some seem to like it.

As far as the petting...get used to it! lol. Seriously, they really do want human contact and attention. You don't have to do it for hours but give your pup lots of pets! Each dog is different. Gator only wants to be pet when he feels like it but Gypsy is all over us all the time.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
First, Welcome to EBN. We love pix and hearing about other bullies. We all learn from the sharing.
You may have a fault.... in YOUR personality!!! What do you mean you can't pet him ALL the time???? Bullies DEMAND it! Git with the program here....:haha::jumping:

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
Haha..the constant petting and wanting attention definitely sounds like a bullie!! They are little attention hogs. If Delilah wants to be petted..she will NOT leave you alone until you give her what she wants! She goes over to our neighbor's house when they are out and just sits there and stares until they pet her. Or at the dog park..she makes sure to go up to every single person. Little stinker!

As far as toys go..is he interested in squeaky things?? Delilah goes nuts for anything that squeaks..as well as high bouncing balls. She goes NUTS for bouncy balls!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.