Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swimming

Bulldog(s) Names
    Rocky, Rocks,Papa, Charlie lol i dont know y
    Likes (Received)

Default Swimming

Anyone's bully swim in a big pool....? I'm going to take rocks into my dads pool when he finishes setting it up for summer...

Jenna Zepeda

Default Re: Swimming

-img_0581-jpg be very careful, bullies generally cannot swim. We put Daphne is ours but she had a full bodied life vest on and we held the handle it so that we had a hold of her the entire time, it was freaky for her at first

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

We have friends whose bully did sink like a stone..and with a life vest on! We do have an in ground pool and plan on very carefully introducing Jake to it. My daughters golden spends hours in our pool! He only visits to swim! But he has webbed feet and bullies just don't have the build!
    Last edited by JAKEISGREAT; 06-05-2011 at 10:19 AM.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Po
    Likes (Received)

I heard that bully's arent natural swimmers, but I did see a couple of bully's swim b4. I guess this is rare?

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Ya..I've seen them too! Think they can learn..just not natural for them like most dogs! I hope Jake likes it eventually. I've seen videos of bullies diving underwater for things! Now THAT is not what I expect!

Real Name
    Bruno's Daddy
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bruno
    Likes (Received)

As stated above Bulldogs dont swim like most other dogs. Introduce him into the water slowly. DOnt scare it by just pulling it in and hoping it swims around.
    You want a make it a nice enjoyable experience instead of a traumatizing one.

Have fun!
    http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic1104_1.gif

Queenie I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Emma, Max, Wilson & Jack (Sally RIP 3/14/16)
    Likes (Received)

While I don't know the people, someone my husband knows has a friend who had their bully on their boat while on a lake a few years ago and it jumped off into the water. It never came back up. I'd be very very careful. Wilson will never be on our boat, even with a life jacket on, not worth the risk of losing my buddy.

Edit: I forgot to mention that's a great looking boy you got there!
    Last edited by JeannieCO; 06-04-2011 at 11:38 PM. Reason: good looking boy note

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

bullies generally do not swim not because they do not know how it's because of their body. Muscle does not float and their legs are too short. The ones who do swim may have some body fat and that helps them stay afloat. I would not chance it. One of our bullies, Lucy Lu, stepped off onto our pool at our old house and sank like a rock, luckily my wife saw her and jumped in after her and got her out safe and sound. Lucy Lu came out coughing and hacking but was fine. The only casulty was my wife's cell phone. Another friend of ours lost one of their bullies to their pool just a month ago. very sad, so please be careful around water and your bully.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

My moms german Shepard jumped in the pool today before my dad even prepared it with all the chemicals, she loves the pool...! I am going to introduce rocks into it slowly maybe in a few weeks, he was ready to jump right after her but I caught him...lol I think he'll be one of those rare ones...cesar millians bulldogs swim...:-D

Jenna Zepeda

Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

-imageuploadedbytapatalk1307246773-698243-jpg

Forgot to add this....

Jenna Zepeda

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JeannieCO View Post
    While I don't know the people, someone my husband knows has a friend who had their bully on their boat while on a lake a few years ago and it jumped off into the water. It never came back up. I'd be very very careful. Wilson will never be on our boat, even with a life jacket on, not worth the risk of losing my buddy.

Edit: I forgot to mention that's a great looking boy you got there!
    Omg..this is heartbreaking! Our pool is cross fenced and very unreachable. We have ALWAYS been so afraid of first our children..when they were small..now our grand babies...getting to that pool. Jake just saw that part of our yard two weeks ago...much more interested in the avocados on the ground than the pool! Such a sad story @JeannieCO..people. ..people.
    Last edited by JAKEISGREAT; 06-05-2011 at 12:13 AM.

Wrinkle Wiper Become a 4 Paw Member laurentourville's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lauren Tourville
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Horse
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Horse loves to swim, but he can't by himself, he just sinks. We found out that he can't swim at all last summer when Horse was playing with a Lab puppy in a shallow stream and decided to walk along the stream and find the steepest bank to jump off of, into 10 foot deep water. He swam for about 2 feet towards me then just sank like a rock. Thank goodness I was right there and dove to the bottom and got him. I have to be just as careful with Horse around a pool as I would with a small child, he would just jump in. I plan on getting Horse a lifejacket, but for now he just "swims" with his front arms over my shoulders, hugging me. Bulldogs love water, but I have yet to see one swim.
    the bond between a child and their dog is beyond words...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads