Swimming

Jzepeda87

Apr 22, 2011
Berwyn,il
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocky, Rocks,Papa, Charlie lol i dont know y
Anyone's bully swim in a big pool....? I'm going to take rocks into my dads pool when he finishes setting it up for summer...

Jenna Zepeda

Daphne

Dec 31, 2010
IMG_0581.jpg be very careful, bullies generally cannot swim. We put Daphne is ours but she had a full bodied life vest on and we held the handle it so that we had a hold of her the entire time, it was freaky for her at first

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
We have friends whose bully did sink like a stone..and with a life vest on! We do have an in ground pool and plan on very carefully introducing Jake to it. My daughters golden spends hours in our pool! He only visits to swim! But he has webbed feet and bullies just don't have the build!

Last edited:

VuBulldogs

Jun 1, 2011
Los Angeles
Bulldog(s) Names
Po
I heard that bully's arent natural swimmers, but I did see a couple of bully's swim b4. I guess this is rare?

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Ya..I've seen them too! Think they can learn..just not natural for them like most dogs! I hope Jake likes it eventually. I've seen videos of bullies diving underwater for things! Now THAT is not what I expect! :lol:

jortiz9758

Aug 22, 2010
Pembroke Pines Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
As stated above Bulldogs dont swim like most other dogs. Introduce him into the water slowly. DOnt scare it by just pulling it in and hoping it swims around.
You want a make it a nice enjoyable experience instead of a traumatizing one.

Have fun!

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
While I don't know the people, someone my husband knows has a friend who had their bully on their boat while on a lake a few years ago and it jumped off into the water. It never came back up. :( I'd be very very careful. Wilson will never be on our boat, even with a life jacket on, not worth the risk of losing my buddy.

Edit: I forgot to mention that's a great looking boy you got there! :luv:

Last edited:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
bullies generally do not swim not because they do not know how it's because of their body. Muscle does not float and their legs are too short. The ones who do swim may have some body fat and that helps them stay afloat. I would not chance it. One of our bullies, Lucy Lu, stepped off onto our pool at our old house and sank like a rock, luckily my wife saw her and jumped in after her and got her out safe and sound. Lucy Lu came out coughing and hacking but was fine. The only casulty was my wife's cell phone. Another friend of ours lost one of their bullies to their pool just a month ago. very sad, so please be careful around water and your bully.

OP
Jzepeda87

Jzepeda87

Apr 22, 2011
Berwyn,il
Bulldog(s) Names
My moms german Shepard jumped in the pool today before my dad even prepared it with all the chemicals, she loves the pool...! I am going to introduce rocks into it slowly maybe in a few weeks, he was ready to jump right after her but I caught him...lol I think he'll be one of those rare ones...cesar millians bulldogs swim...:-D

Jenna Zepeda

OP
Jzepeda87

Jzepeda87

Apr 22, 2011
Berwyn,il
Bulldog(s) Names
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1307246773.698243.jpg

Forgot to add this....

Jenna Zepeda

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
While I don't know the people, someone my husband knows has a friend who had their bully on their boat while on a lake a few years ago and it jumped off into the water. It never came back up. :( I'd be very very careful. Wilson will never be on our boat, even with a life jacket on, not worth the risk of losing my buddy.

Edit: I forgot to mention that's a great looking boy you got there! :luv:

Omg..this is heartbreaking! Our pool is cross fenced and very unreachable. We have ALWAYS been so afraid of first our children..when they were small..now our grand babies...getting to that pool. Jake just saw that part of our yard two weeks ago...much more interested in the avocados on the ground than the pool! Such a sad story [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION]..people. ..people.

Last edited:

laurentourville

Wrinkle Wiper
Mar 23, 2010
Rockingham, VT
Bulldog(s) Names
Horse
Horse loves to swim, but he can't by himself, he just sinks. We found out that he can't swim at all last summer when Horse was playing with a Lab puppy in a shallow stream and decided to walk along the stream and find the steepest bank to jump off of, into 10 foot deep water. He swam for about 2 feet towards me then just sank like a rock. Thank goodness I was right there and dove to the bottom and got him. I have to be just as careful with Horse around a pool as I would with a small child, he would just jump in. I plan on getting Horse a lifejacket, but for now he just "swims" with his front arms over my shoulders, hugging me. Bulldogs love water, but I have yet to see one swim.

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
Lex loves to swim but of course he wears a life jacket. We have a lab to and when we take them to the lake lex thinks he can go out and swim like bubba lol... But he does great w the life jacket on he has a little more freedom than when he didn't.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
my moms german shepard jumped in the pool today before my dad even prepared it with all the chemicals, she loves the pool...! I am going to introduce rocks into it slowly maybe in a few weeks, he was ready to jump right after her but i caught him...lol i think he'll be one of those rare ones...cesar millians bulldogs swim...:-d

jenna zepeda

hello!! He's cesar milan!!! :lol:

Pebblesmom

Apr 21, 2010
Pebbles loves the water. We have an in ground pool and as a puppy pebbles just jumped in and immediately sank. Luckily I was in the pool and got her right out. After that we bought a life vest. She has learned where all the steps are she can stand on and will run around getting on the steps without her vest. She will stick her whole face in bobbing for her toys. With the vest she can swim, without forget it. We never let her on the porch unless we are right there watching her every minute. When we want to swim and relax we put her in the house and she just barks and cries and looks at us from the sliding door. Obviously that doesn't happen often, who can stand that sad face:)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.