Any other Gargoyles out there?

Spinal Remains

May 31, 2011
Nassau County, N.Y.
Bulldog(s) Names
Rufus Hambone (Hambonicus, Ruffie, Baby Bone, and 'Gargoyle Boy' - he sits on arm of couch
Hi everyone. . I am curious about something which I find rather odd, and sometimes alarming.

My English bulldog, Rufus Hambone is 7 months now and he has a strange habit of sitting up on the arms of couches. He will sit up at attention and sit still as if he's guarding the room. He looks exactly like a living room gargoyle! He also will lay on the top of the couch. The top of the back I mean. I have seen cats do this, but never a dog. I have had 6 previous dogs of different breeds, but never an English Bulldog.

My question to all of you is; does ayone else have a bully that exhibits this gargoyle-like behavior? Is it abnormal? Did the breeder have him around cats that I'm not aware of? I get kind of scared he will fall of the back of couch and break a leg sometimes.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Nope, our Princess isn't a gargoyle. Prior to living here she wasn't even ever allowed on furniture. She was 'taught' it was ok after someone pulled her up into his lap. She had to "learn" how to jump up on the couch. She still acts like the bed is too high sometimes. But at others she jumps right up. She never perches on the arms or back of the couch though.

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
[MENTION=2487]Spinal Remains[/MENTION] two of my six Bulldogs have perched on the arms and top of the back of couches. Muggs and Chester were the two. Muggs would also climb ladders; Chester would push a chair over to the kitchen island so he could get up there! Our Bulldogs are very clever!

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
Bella will lay on the back of the sofa, the arms are too thin. She also will sit on the console between the front seats in the car.

[MENTION=2150]MatildasMommy[/MENTION], those photos are adorable.

OP
Spinal Remains

Spinal Remains

May 31, 2011
Nassau County, N.Y.
Bulldog(s) Names
Rufus Hambone (Hambonicus, Ruffie, Baby Bone, and 'Gargoyle Boy' - he sits on arm of couch
Pretty much like that, Matilda.

He sits on the arm and he stays still. He looks statuesque and the best way I can describe it is gargoyle. I have never seen a dog do it. Glad to hear that others do it too. I have to say that the English Bully is so unique in every way. A very genuine animal.

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
Chunk would if he fit!!! He always tries to climb to the highest thing (comes in handy at the vet, he gets right up on their table). Generally, it ends up being my lap. Kinda like this ...

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1307065614.297310.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1307065614.297310.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 101

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Yes, we often call Frank our own little gargoyle! I am glad other bullies do it too. We have no idea why he feels the need to perch on things.

Jzepeda87

Apr 22, 2011
Berwyn,il
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocky, Rocks,Papa, Charlie lol i dont know y
My boy rocks does this...I think my other dog daisy taught him this....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1307066712.297716.jpg
he learned from the best...!!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1307066753.283949.jpg
Monkey c monkey do...!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1307066799.715219.jpg
Good example, huh...?!?!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1307066867.076806.jpg
Sleeping on the job...!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1307066904.665531.jpg
King of the couch...!!!!!!!!

Jenna Zepeda

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Neither of my bullies do it .. but I just LOVE all those pics!!! :up:

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Gator does this. He will sit on the back of the sofa where we have two pushed together (one is the dog couch. lol) or he will lay and sleep on the back of the sofa behind our heads when we are sitting there. I will take a pic next time he does it.

Jzepeda87

Apr 22, 2011
Berwyn,il
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocky, Rocks,Papa, Charlie lol i dont know y
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1307070419.594999.jpg

King of the jungle.....looks like a jungle in my parents house....

Jenna Zepeda

Mack-N-MatildasMommy

Bulldog Spoiler
Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Moore, OK
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda A.K.A Sassy Pants & Mighty Mack A.K.A. Fat Peanut
[MENTION=770]Bella'sMom[/MENTION] Thank you!! :heart:

[MENTION=1081]Chunksmama[/MENTION] Wow!! Chunk is very big and very handsome!!! :luv:

[MENTION=2263]Jzepeda87[/MENTION] Yeah, Matilda learned it from my daughters sissy dog Spike.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online