What is wrong with my little man???

melanieian

Mar 29, 2011
Louisiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Brodie
So Friday night in the middle of the night Brodie got ahold of another sock and swallowed it, again! I was able to get him to throw it up this time instead of going to ER Vet. But I'm wondering if there is a reason he is doing this. He eats the oddest things, socks, papertowels, baby wipes. I mean I just don't understand. Is there something wrong? Am I not feeding him enough? He gets 1 1/2 cups in morning and evening of Avoderm Chicken and Brown Rice puppy food. Maybe there are not enough nutrients in it and he is still hungry? I just don't know. All I know is now I can't ever leave him alone or out of his kennel unless I can watch him the whole time for fear he will do this again and I won't know. Any suggestions???

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I just think if it's there...they WILL eat it! Scary and nerve wracking...I know! Glad you saw it happen and were able to get it back without the vet and $$$$$$!!!!!

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
Sounds like he's just being a puppy lol.. If we leave any boxes around the house he will chew on it, he chews on wood, and loves eating greens "leaves". He has never eatin any socks though lol.. Or lab loves paper if instructions fall out of a box he will grab it before it hits the ground

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Sorry but I can be of no assistance here cos Daddy will eat anything and everything!! He has eaten bees ...:eek: ... cat poop ... dog poop .... the metal charm off his collar!!! ... twigs .... my flowers ... parts of his fluffy toys ... cotton wool .... socks .... toilet rolls .... leaves ... lipgloss .... bubble bath (that one was intersting!) ... small screws .... and I'm sure plenty more things that we don't know about yet!!!

It is a continuous adventure every time he comes in from outside because we have to search every part of his mouth, and never know quite what we'll find!! :blink::blink::blink:

Jzepeda87

Apr 22, 2011
Berwyn,il
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocky, Rocks,Papa, Charlie lol i dont know y
I think so too,my bully will eat anything socks,bottle caps,dust, my other dogs hair, he ate recently my klipsch headphones not the wires but the ear pieces and connection to my phone....he even ate some of his cover we put in his cage...i only found this out when he vomited it up....so I think the same, if it's on the floor or where they can get it, it's GONE.....

Jenna Zepeda

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Jack our other dog loves socks too, he's nearly 6 months. As long as I keep the dirty ones in the hamper and the clean ones in the basket where he can't get to them before I put laundry away I'm ok. He got a hold of another one this morning. But I had them where he could get to them so it's my bad really not his. :)

OP
melanieian

melanieian

Mar 29, 2011
Louisiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Brodie
LOL [MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION] that is alot of stuff!!! Haha. Well ok at least mine isn't the only one. Man I wish he would stop though. Makes me so nervous.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I always try to make sure that nothing's in reach of Stig's mouth too because he will try to eat anything. This includes the places where I know he'll try to climb on such as the side tables and the tv stand. It's gotten to the point where I need to block him from the living room if no one's there to watch him because I found him standing on the side table once and the top is made of glass. :blink: Little bugger. lol.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
As much as I tried when Vegas was younger, I would catch him with our UNDERWARE :barf:, he did not swallow them, but he would be happily chewing on our DIRTY underware in his crate...again :barf:, ....He did eat one of my gloves that I had no idea about and threw it up a couple of days later!!

With it just being the two of us I used a laundry basket instead of a hamper, and he could reach in, Now the laundry basket sits on top of a chair in our bedroom.

Last edited:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
As much as I tried when Vegas was younger, I would catch him with our UNDERWARE :barf:, he did not swallow them, but he would be happily chewing on our DIRTY underware in his crate...again :barf:, He did eat one of my gloves that I had no idea about and threw it up a couple of days later!!

With it just being the two of us I used a laundry basket instead of a hamper, and he could reach in, Now the laundry basket sits on top of a chair in our bedroom.

NICE! :lmao:

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Well, [MENTION=2121]melanieian[/MENTION] if you find out how to stop Brodie from eating everything he gets his paws on please let me know. I asked our vet when he thought Ruggles would stop eating everything and his answer was when he's dead!!! We have had to Rugglesproof the house and keep close track of everything when we have guests! Ruggles is 4.

LauraB

Feb 4, 2011
Reynoldsburg, Ohio, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Lola is 1 1/2 now and I can't put any kind of pad or sheet, towel, comforter or other thing in her crate. She rips them open and eats the fiber fill, feathers or shreds the material. Stupid really.

Now I have been experimenting with leaving her out of the crate. Two weeks now and she hasn't eaten or chewed anything. Although I fear I will come home and my sofa or bed will be gone! I think she hates the crate!

SargeandGriffon

Mar 26, 2011
Charlotte, NC
Bulldog(s) Names
Sergeant Mako (Sarge)
As much as I tried when Vegas was younger, I would catch him with our UNDERWARE :barf:, he did not swallow them, but he would be happily chewing on our DIRTY underware in his crate...again :barf:, ...

Vegas and Sarge have the same "taste" in underwear. So gross. :ROFL:

Last edited:

Spinal Remains

May 31, 2011
Nassau County, N.Y.
Bulldog(s) Names
Rufus Hambone (Hambonicus, Ruffie, Baby Bone, and 'Gargoyle Boy' - he sits on arm of couch
I don't think anything at all is wrong with your little man. He's a puppy and as such he will chew or devour whatever is available and whatever feels good to gnaw on. He doesn't yet know the difference between food and other things. He will though. You just have to be mindful of leaving things laying around. You have to assume on the cautious side and assume he will try to eat anything, then pick it up. I'm so sorry you had such a terrible scare. It must have been awful. He will be just fine though as long as you are there to stop him from eating what he shouldn't. If you cannot be there you have to insure that you've already picked up the enticing items.
- Your puppy is perfectly normal, and his eating of the items is in no way your fault due to bad dietary feedings.
Best of luck

VuBulldogs

Jun 1, 2011
Los Angeles
Bulldog(s) Names
Po
My 11 week old eats everything on site. She never had a chance to eat a sock though. I guess she can knock over the laundry basket, but have not done so yet.

11 weeks 021R.jpg

Most Reactions