Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
It breaks my heart to read the stories of pups like Champ and Bella. I want to foster so badly, but I don't think my home is a good "foster" home. Vegas would be great with just about any animal we bring in, but Orion is a little spitfire. I'm wondering, how do they place these animals for fostering? Do they usually look for people who are home all day? My hubby and I both work fulltime plus. Vegas and Orion have a nanny 3 days a week (grandma) and the other 2 she's home within 6 hours. On the weekends, Mark and I are home. When fostering, are you responsible for all medical? Just kinda wondering how it all works out.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I know, I would love to as well!!! But we just cannot right now. Perhaps when the babies grow up some, I have too many kids, with and without fur! But hopefully by then there will be better laws out there for these precious defenseless animals!!! Unfortunately, I doubt it. But I definately see rescue participation in our future.

I would suggest contacting your closest rescue to see what you can do. Even if you cannot foster, perhaps you can volunteer somehow?

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Not sure I could foster, I think the first one would be our last and we would have to keep him. ;) Maybe someday when our family is done growing we would be able to try.

Kikiwhoa21

Jun 16, 2010
Wonderland, Texas!
Bulldog(s) Names
Chev Chelios && Faith
Omg! I've been wanting to foster && help a life soooo bad too! I've been begging my bf && so curious too to see if they have restrictions or guidelines for being a foster home. I'm a full time student && work. My bf works full time toooo. We have our little itty bitty apt. with two bullies && kitty. It would be a little crowded but we worth it to save and help a life. It kills me to see all those sad helpless animals in cages. :(

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
It breaks my heart to read the stories of pups like Champ and Bella. I want to foster so badly, but I don't think my home is a good "foster" home. Vegas would be great with just about any animal we bring in, but Orion is a little spitfire. I'm wondering, how do they place these animals for fostering? Do they usually look for people who are home all day? My hubby and I both work fulltime plus. Vegas and Orion have a nanny 3 days a week (grandma) and the other 2 she's home within 6 hours. On the weekends, Mark and I are home. When fostering, are you responsible for all medical? Just kinda wondering how it all works out.

I am on the Southern Calfornia Bulldog Rescue mailing list. Todays email had an article on fostering. I know this isn't for your area but I am sure it would similiar for the rescue near you. I believe the rescue pays for the medical cost with their donations but I really don't know for sure. Sounds like even though you work full time they would find a bulldog that would be ok in that situation. I'm sure they'd work with you:

Rescues biggest need right after funds is foster homes to watch bulldogs until homes can be found. "Before you get excited and call your spouse", we do have some specific considerations when you foster.

Due to the health needs of the bulldogs, we need foster homes to be with in a reasonable distance of our rescue vet offices to get medical area. Right now, our vet offices are Grand Pet Care in Santa Ana and Dr. Butchko's in Riverside.

Because many of the bulldogs need to be only pets, you are going to need to have away to separate your foster from other family pets. Most foster dogs do not mingle well with other family pets, its not encouraged to allow this to go on and when it is happening it needs to be supervised.

Foster homes need to have experience with bulldogs. We know it's a special breed and homes that already know about the care of bulldogs are those best suited for fostering. A home that doesn't have experience isn't the best home for a bulldog that needs a lot of care and the foster home thinks they 'will learn as they go' - you already have to know how to care for a bulldog to foster a bulldog.

Fostering is not way to get to watch 'puppies' and think you get to adopt puppies, simply because there are not liters of puppies in rescue. Fostering isn't away to 'pick and chose' among the bulldogs until you find 'a nice one' that you want to keep though fostering, since nice ones usually don't spend a lot of time in foster and go to homes waiting.

What you would be watching are bulldogs that are 4 to 8 years old, missing some fur or having some unsightly issue, possibly needing medication at least once a day and warm place to sleep until they are adopted. The fosters are match to homes on a level of care needed by the dog with the level of experience the family has - so do not worry you will get a 'hard one' the first time.

There are bulldogs waiting to be fostered today and we would welcome hearing from homes that have the time and bulldog experience.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.