Potty Outdoors

bscarpenter

Mar 2, 2011
Meatball is almost 2yo. She has never been completely potty trained. We will let her outside and she will come back in and poop in the house. Sometimes we let her outside and she'll poop on the patio. If we stand with her in the grass, eventually she'll go in the grass. Any ideas on how we can get her going in the grass on her own. I've even installed a doggie door that she will only use if you are standing outside with a treat ready.

melanieian

Mar 29, 2011
Louisiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Brodie
Well I really can't be of much help here. I got extremly lucky with mine and I really think it is because at the breeder they had doggie doors to go out of from day one, so they were accustomed to going potty outside. I never had one bit of problem with him. Now my sisters dog, a beagle, does the same thing Meatball does. He will stay outside for an hour or two sometimes then come in and go on the carpet!!! And just look at you while he does it, and if you call his name he won't stop, he will just stare at you until he finishes. The problem with him was when he was little and go outside to go potty he would get too distracted by everything outside so after standing with him for 30 mins or so you assume he doesn't need to go and go back inside where he is not distracted then he goes. So it became a cycle with him, he is now 3 yrs old and still everyday will go in the house without fail. I have tried training him with no luck, but he also had very bad behavior problems. VERY BAD. So I think that is also part of his problem. Have you gone to any training classes? Maybe that will help?

bjsfarm

Jan 12, 2011
Narvon PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Butter Cup, Ellie, Double D & CJ. Jr., Max, Doc & Willie
Did you try to make your own liver treats (bulldogs go crazy over them) and praise her every time she goes outside. scold and maybe spank her when she goes inside? You will need to be 100% consistent
everytime tho...... hope this helps and if you need a good liver treat recipe, let me know :)

sitartzm

May 25, 2011
Wisconsin
Bulldog(s) Names
Brewer
Meatball is almost 2yo. She has never been completely potty trained. We will let her outside and she will come back in and poop in the house. Sometimes we let her outside and she'll poop on the patio. If we stand with her in the grass, eventually she'll go in the grass. Any ideas on how we can get her going in the grass on her own. I've even installed a doggie door that she will only use if you are standing outside with a treat ready.

Can you contact your breeder where you got the dog from? My breeder uses cedar chips outside so the dog knows to only go where the cedar chips are. But maybe you can find out what your breeder did and try to do that all over again. The only thing that I do not agree with is the spanking. By the time you go to discipline your dog, he has probably already forgot what he did wrong, so when you spank him, he has no idea why. That is just my opinion. Good luck

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Gypsy did the same thing. I put a leash on her when she went out and we stayed out there until she went. I would leave some poo in the yard and walk her over to it since when they sniff poo, it sometimes will trigger them to go. Then when she went, I would praise her and give her a treat. I also kept her in the same room of the house with me and if she started to sniff around like she needed to go, I would take her out. If she started to pee or poop in the house I would make a loud noise (maybe try coins in a can) so that she should stop and I would take her out and then praise her if she finished out there.

The leash was VERY important for keeping her in the area I wanted her to use the bathroom in until she actually went. Also, you have to scold them WHILE they are doing it or within 3 or 4 seconds or they will have no idea what you are upset about and it won't do any good. I use my voice to scold as that seems to do the trick with them.

I hope that made sense. lol. Good luck!

Wlw9x

May 10, 2011
Gardendale, Alabama, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Katie
I'm not much help with the potty situation.. Katie was having accidents so I sequestered her in the kitchen for a month or so while I was not at home during the day time. She never had an accident in those "close quarters", and I've been giving her free roam of the house this week with so far no accidents *fingers crossed* so maybe that little time out during the day period helped her? I'm not sure... we'll see.
I just have to say, I love the name meatball!

Jzepeda87

Apr 22, 2011
Berwyn,il
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocky, Rocks,Papa, Charlie lol i dont know y
Omg my dogs name is rocky but my fam. Calls him meatball...

But back to your potty problem, I did same thing gatorray did, keep in one area(otherwise you'll have accidents everywhere) and believe me ull know when meatball has to go, rocky was very obvious and we just ignored him and he would have a accident...

We'd take him out on leash n wait til he went...sometimes they take a while but will eventually go....

Gotta read the body language...

Hope that helps...

Jenna Zepeda

OP
B

bscarpenter

Mar 2, 2011
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I think consistency and rewards will bethe key. I just have to get the rest of the family on board.

Spinal Remains

May 31, 2011
Nassau County, N.Y.
Bulldog(s) Names
Rufus Hambone (Hambonicus, Ruffie, Baby Bone, and 'Gargoyle Boy' - he sits on arm of couch
What you can try is this. Use potty pads if she is comfy going in the house. Leave the pad in the same spot. If she continually uses the pad, then you can begin to move the pad toward the door. Once she is ready to cross the threshold, you can put the pad outside. Eventually she will understand that outside is for poopies and peeing.

Hope that helps.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.