dog has itch...

punky

Mar 19, 2010
washington, west virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
can anyone tell me if their bully has experienced this... my bully abbey has been digging at her belly and even rubs her face on her pen ... its red of course and sometimes she scratchs until its bleeds... i have a medicated shampoo that works great.. almost nothing there after her bath then in just a few days it starts again... i had her to vet thinking it must be some allergy.. the strange thing is... it comes and goes.. i thought it could be from the laundry detergent when i was her bed, which i use very little because of this, and even though she may have an allergy to fleas...so i treat her more often then the rest, cant pin point what and why it gets better one day and then bad the next... i have 3 bulldogs and she is the only one doing... i have had her on medication and it got better but then back weeks later.. help...im going back to vet this week... vet tells me it doesnt look that bad but i tell him i come here before it gets bad... dont like to see her itching.. it was so bad one time i had to get her that shot and i dont like doing that but i didnt want her to suffer... she acts like a bad case of poision ivy.. another strange thing is she was pregnant and never had the problem at all... after pup was born still nothing untill 4 weeks later... then back again.. help..

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Wow. I don't know what that could be. Is she on a flea preventative? It could be flea bites? Are the spots close together?

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
[MENTION=295]punky[/MENTION] Are there spots or a sign of an allergy or is she just itching and making it red??

Also, what are you feeding her?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Sounds like her immune system is low. What does she eat? And there are so many possible allergy triggers. Even air fresheners! Grass, mold, wool, fleas, detergeants, rubber, plastic, weather (seasonal) food...

But getting on the right food can help build the immune system. Also a script or over the counter benedryl can help.

OP
punky

punky

Mar 19, 2010
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
i do have her on flea treatment.... i will also apply it every three weeks instead of the normal 4 weeks.. just because its what i though was her problem.. i feed her taste of the wild dog food.. i do think its some allergy but i cant pin point what it is.. just because of the way it comes and goes...

OP
punky

punky

Mar 19, 2010
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
it does kindof look like little spots but she scratchs it alot so im not sure.. sort of looks like a rash..

OP
punky

punky

Mar 19, 2010
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
my vet told me it was ok.. i was using the oral flea medicine and it seems to help great with her itch and it is why i thought it could be a flea allergy but then i had to go to the other kind because she was being breed and the vet said i couldnt use the oral kind .. that it wasnt good for pregnant dogs. shes not pregnant or nursing now but i worry about giving it to her if it isnt safe.. we are going back to vet this week.. hope to figure this out soon.. she's my princess.. such a sweet girl... well, all of my bullies are.. lol,...

NJBullyMommy

Apr 20, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (Bruty, Bru Bru, Brutus Maximus)
Sounds like her immune system is low. What does she eat? And there are so many possible allergy triggers. Even air fresheners! Grass, mold, wool, fleas, detergeants, rubber, plastic, weather (seasonal) food...

But getting on the right food can help build the immune system. Also a script or over the counter benedryl can help.

I agree! Brutus rubs his face on the floor, couch and his cage and it was allergies. Went away with benedryl and he doesn't rub it on anything anymore :)

eddiefebuary

Apr 30, 2011
I was thinking about this also but was wondering what the dosage is for the benedryl and do I give it every day for life?

OP
punky

punky

Mar 19, 2010
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
wow cant believe how time flies.. abbey went thru all the allergy testing back then (2011) and did shots along with food changes but she still had a itch.. finally this year we found a vet we love and she put her on apoquel and it is amazing.. she looks so good.. not scratching and acts so happy.. i have a whole new dog.. hoping its something she wont have to be on forever. its kind of expensive but if she needs it she will have it..

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.