Bulldog with an occasional limp

arthur2474

Mar 30, 2010
Hello fellow Bulldog owners. I am the owner of a goofy little dude named Winston who is a three and a half year old English Bulldog. Little concerned lately as he has developed an occasional limp in his back left leg. Started about a month or more ago and seems to kick in when he walks alot or plays at the dog park. At first I thought maybe he was doing it for attention, but now I am taking it seriously due to it sticking around. Would be crushed if he was hurt or it was something long term. He came from a single batch family that is not a breeder. Mother had been extremely healthy over the years. Might have to break down and get his hips X-rayed. Anybody got experience with this?

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Not too sure, but it may be hip dysplasia. We have a few members here who have experienced it with their bulldogs. This is where the hip joints are loose. If you do a search on the subject, you'll be able to find plenty of useful posts. Here is an article written by one of moderators here. English Bulldog News Forums ~ - Hip Dysplasia in English Bulldogs

I would take Winston to the vet as these things are better treated earlier than better.

Last edited:

James3900

May 26, 2011
Svebolle, Vestsjalland, Denmark, Denmark
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella and Neelix
HI

I agree and would take him to the vet to have it x-rayed and checked to at least put your mind at rest if its nothing. My Bella sometimes gets a limp from playing at the dog park but usually its gone in 2-3 days but if your dogs is coming back so often then I would for sure have it looked at.

James

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Yes I would have it looked at. Could also have a torn ACL as well. Could just be out of socket, if so it needs to be put back as soon as possible, good thoughts and prayers to him. Keep us posted!

OP
A

arthur2474

Mar 30, 2010
Thanks for advice everyone. He is definately favoring it most of the time but not always. Obviously when he is excited, he kind of shruggs it off but it is still there. Will keep an eye on it and get him to vet soon. Until then he is on light duty. :) Will update when things are figured out. He is my little buddy and he needs to get better.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
[MENTION=399]arthur2474[/MENTION] I wanted to say WELCOME! It is nice to meet you. I hope you post some pictures of Winston soon. He sounds GREAT!

Keep us posted on how he is doing.

punky

Mar 19, 2010
washington, west virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
my bull dog porkchop has had this problem for over a year.. i have had her to the vet many times with x-rays done only to be told nothing looks wrong.. she too, seems to favor her back leg, or hip, (im not sure exact spot)when she plays more or takes longer walks ... the vet told me to try joint vitamins and try a low dose asprin on the days she seems to be in pain.... i worry how it will effect her later in years.. keep me informed if you know what is wrong with your winston...

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.