cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
This is going to be a little long winded so please bear with me b/c i'd really like some feedback.

I've mentioned b4 that Tate sleeps w/me in bed at night, and has been since 8wks old. The bed is pretty high up so i have to carry him up and down.

When we get into bed, at around 8pm or 8:30pm on most nights, he'll be playing around on the bed, sniffing around, smelling the sheets, etc...and then maybe 15 min later, he'll walk very close to the edge of the bed and start whining as if he wants to get back down on the floor.

Sometimes he'll even bark. So a few times I have carried him back down to the floor and then he'll walk around a few seconds only to then start whining and barking to come back on the bed!
So then i carry him back up to bed and the cycle starts over again a few more times. Meanwhile, I'm getting very frustrated with the whole thing.

Now i realize i'm probably not helping by submitting to his whines and barks but at the same time i really don't want him to make such a ruckus b/c of the neighbors, and also b/c i'm pretty darn tired and just want to sleep. :lazy2: Do you think he's just playing w/me and trying to see who's boss or is he just being indecisive with where he wants to sleep? i'm sort of at a loss with this and welcome any thoughts.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Ok...I don't know the "proper" way to handle this situation BUT if it were me, I would put him in the bed and then ignore it. When he barks, correct him. Generally, I will make an abrupt shhhh sound or say "quiet" in a deep voice and it usually will work even with the puppies. I am all for dogs being allowed to use their voices and normally let them bark when they feel like they want to, but I try to let them know that there are certain times that just aren't appropriate and that is one of those times.

Good luck!

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Is there a way where you can get a set of stairs or even a bench so he can go on and off the bed as he pleases? Stig sleep with us too but he's such a restless sleeper that he jumps on and off a few times throughout the night. I have an Ikea frame so I have bed slats (sp?) instead of a box so my bed's low enough for him to jump off himself.

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Thank you both for your feedback.

[MENTION=1906]GatorRay[/MENTION]--i am in the process of doing the "Shhhh!" thing but can't seem to get it down yet. Should i give him a treat when he stops barking? maybe that will help. I agree w/you, late at night, espec. on a worknight is not one of those times i want him express himself vocally. Last night he did this til 11:30pm and he and i ended up sleeping on the living rm sofa b/c he was so restless. Ugh!

[MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION], i am thinking of getting some steps for him so he can go up/down as he wants. Right now he gets so close to the edge of the bed that i'm paranoid he's going to fall off. I'm also thinking of trading in my bed for a lower one too!

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Stairs aren't a bad idea but I would be afraid he would fall in the dark (ok, can we say Betty is paranoid? lol). I, personally don't give treats for that. I will pet them and praise them a little (but not too much or they get too excited and the point is to get them to be quiet). When I was just beginning to teach them "quiet", I would gently lay my hand on their nose or mouth area when I gave a command for quiet. Just the first few times until they understood what I wanted.

If this doesn't work, you can always get him a squishy bed and put it right next to your bed and leave him on the floor. Gator really prefers sleeping alone rather than with us (though I love it).

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.