Millie refuses a leash.

Vermont Millie

May 19, 2011
Southern, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mildred (Millie, mildew, mil- a- stroni)
I'm getting more and more frustrated by the fact that my 5 month old Millie refuses to walk on a leash. I'll take her outside and she will walk right in front of the house but any further and she just sits.When she just sits on the sidewalk I can't find any way to convince her to keep moving. I've always dealt with dogs that try to pull me down the sidewalk.
We don't have a yard at the moment so I figure she needs some form of exercise. Clearly Millie thinks otherwise.
Is this normal behavior? Are bullies not leash walkers but really loungers? or does anyone have any tips on how to keep her moving...

Katie + Millie

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
What about taking treats? give her one every so often to keep her interested??.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
my bully will walk for miles but some dont like it,if she has a favorite toy take it with you on the walk,everytime she slows down to sit get all excited and try to move her along with the toy,or a nice bit of cooked liver treat may do the trick,if shes on a collar and lead try her in a harness ,good luck,karen

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I use treats too. But the really healthy ones that won't defeat the purpose of a walk, such as dehydrated or freeze-dried meat or frozen/fresh veggies.

BoostedFloto

May 1, 2011
Tampa, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Homer
Treats worked well for Homer and I. He learned the routine quickly he gets one to start the walk and than at the half way point he sits and wont budge until he gets his second and than gets one at the finish line as well.

OP
Vermont Millie

Vermont Millie

May 19, 2011
Southern, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mildred (Millie, mildew, mil- a- stroni)
I've tried treats but once you give her one she just sits and waits for more. I'm worried about her energy level in general... she seems lethargic. I keep telling my boyfriend I think shes sad but like everyone he goes "Thats just her face". She's doesn't really play with toys or even the other puppy (cockapoo) that my roommates have. She's missing the pep that I associate with a puppy. Theres not excitement when she wakes up or anything. Maybe I'm reading into all this...
We currently give her science diet... although we are waiting to switch to a higher rated diet with the next paycheck. She is taking antibiotics and an oral med for mange but I'm not sure those things are related.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
the antibiotics and the mange will be draining her,i would concentrate on getting her back to full health then start a walking routine,she will be getting stressed and is probably very tired,karen

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
When you have her spayed have the vet check her trach size. If it is smaller than a 7 she may not be getting enough oxygen to have a lot of energy. Also have the vet check her heart closley. Keeping her weight down is important in keeping energy up, too. Our 3rd Bulldog, Harley had to be prompted to walk, too. When I took him to puppy manners class he would do one or two rounds with the class and then fall asleep under a chair and snore. As an adult Harley had some health problems and had restricted activity and could not get over heated. We had to watch him closley. I don't know if Millie's meds could cause low energy. Good luck getting to the bottom of this. Millie is a darling girl!

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello~
It does take time for leash training. One way that I start off is in the house and around the house. Walking down the hallway in a normal environment helps them to learn. It can be a short trip up and down the hall, or around the living room or just even outside. At 5 months that is not too old to train, but will take longer. Just keep doing the training but only a little at a time. If your Bullie will walk just even to the mailbox and back that is success. Rather than "training", it is behavior modification. Encouragment works great. Provide LOTS. Stand in front and call to your pup and have Millie come to you. Slight tug on leash to encourage.
Good Day~

NJBullyMommy

Apr 20, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (Bruty, Bru Bru, Brutus Maximus)
First off I have to say Millie is sooooo friggin cute!!! Secondly the meds she's on does make them kinda blahhh when theyre on them. We don't have a fence either in our yard and Brutus would walk about 2 feet and then plant himself in 1 spot and no matter how much you try to pull him he would just stand there. We would keep the leash on inside and try and get him to walk in there and it did def work. She's also little still and they dont wanna go for walks that much....I guess it's the little legs and they get tired easily :p Keep trying the treats and if all else fails we make crazy noises and even whistling would make him walk. Can ya tell we were willing to try anything too? lol

mbuxx

Mar 26, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Hey some thing that worked for me was I would take a little bag of hia dog food. When he would sit I would call him over and over until he came up beside me and then id praise and give some food. You might have to do this every 5 feet but eventually it will get better and better and you can just give him some food when you get back home! Good luck :)

Sent from my SGH-T959D using Tapatalk

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
My sister is a dog trainer..she says to put the leash on and let her just walk around house with leash on..and not attached to you. This gets them used to tugging and the weight. Do a little longer each day.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I agree with everyone. You just have to put the collar or harness on her with the leash attached and have her wear it around the house. We are doing this right now with Gypsy. She just wanted to eat the leash. lol.

Most Reactions