discolored fur under neck, on inside legs n belly

Bekah Bardwell

Apr 4, 2011
Nashville, Tn.
Bulldog(s) Names
Memphis
Memphis has just started getting a reddish/maroon tent to his fur under his neck, on the insides of his back legs, under his arms n on his belly... Theres no irratation, bumps, or rash it is just discolored... Has anyone had this problem? It use to be so white n his belly so pink... I will try n get a pic when he wakes up...

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
The only time we have had discolored fur is when we used to leave collars on our dogs. They would wade in the river, their collars got wet and faded in to the fur. Now our dogs go collarless except when we go for walks. They still get wet but we take them off right away when we get home.

OP
B

Bekah Bardwell

Apr 4, 2011
Nashville, Tn.
Bulldog(s) Names
Memphis
The only time we have had discolored fur is when we used to leave collars on our dogs. They would wade in the river, their collars got wet and faded in to the fur. Now our dogs go collarless except when we go for walks. They still get wet but we take them off right away when we get home.

Memphis doesnt wear a collar at all. I cant imagine what it could b...

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Can you take pics? I thought of yeast, but it's best if we can actually see the areas.

OP
B

Bekah Bardwell

Apr 4, 2011
Nashville, Tn.
Bulldog(s) Names
Memphis
Can you take pics? I thought of yeast, but it's best if we can actually see the areas.

Sry for taking so long... Here r pics of his chin n neck... Again no rashes or anything just the fur is stained somewhat like the reddish color they get from tear stains... its also his armpits n the inside of his legs...

IMG_4752.jpg

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Well...this may not be it but Lucy the basset got that in her armpits and it turned out to be yeast.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
looks like yeast build up they dont have to scratch for the yeast to be a problem,does he lick/chew his paws?,karen

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Yes it looks like yeast or another bacteria growth. You probably already told us what you are feeding but I must ask again...(sorry)

Anti fungal shampoo, a good diet, panalog ointment should help it go away:)

OP
B

Bekah Bardwell

Apr 4, 2011
Nashville, Tn.
Bulldog(s) Names
Memphis
Yes it looks like yeast or another bacteria growth. You probably already told us what you are feeding but I must ask again...(sorry)

Anti fungal shampoo, a good diet, panalog ointment should help it go away:)

I am feeding Natures Variety Instinct Duck n turkey... Thanks so much n being that his food is a 6* i will try the shampoos etc...

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
It was probably about 6 years ago but I did take her to the vet and they gave me some cream. Not sure what cream it was now since it was so long ago lol. Yeast can be caused by lots of reasons but she would have trapped moisture in her armpits so I had to make sure I kept it clean and dry.

You got some great advice from [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] about the shampoo and panalog. As far as diet, I would try a food with a protein that is not duck/chicken/turkey and see if that helps. I don't know if grains impact yeast but going grain free can help as well. I know some people that have yeast issues that stay away from grains or many carbs. Especially any wheat, potato, rice or corn. Is NVI duck grain free?

Last edited:

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
if its a yeast build up then its best to eliminate all carbs from his diet firstly,you can use acv on his body as well as giving it orally ,ensure his ears are not yeasted up ,there is a post under yeast info ,its a great article on yeast production,treatment ,prevention,karen

OP
B

Bekah Bardwell

Apr 4, 2011
Nashville, Tn.
Bulldog(s) Names
Memphis
if its a yeast build up then its best to eliminate all carbs from his diet firstly,you can use acv on his body as well as giving it orally ,ensure his ears are not yeasted up ,there is a post under yeast info ,its a great article on yeast production,treatment ,prevention,karen

what is acv? N Thanks, I will look that artical up...

OP
B

Bekah Bardwell

Apr 4, 2011
Nashville, Tn.
Bulldog(s) Names
Memphis
It was probably about 6 years ago but I did take her to the vet and they gave me some cream. Not sure what cream it was now since it was so long ago lol. Yeast can be caused by lots of reasons but she would have trapped moisture in her armpits so I had to make sure I kept it clean and dry.

You got some great advice from [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] about the shampoo and panalog. As far as diet, I would try a food with a protein that is not duck/chicken/turkey and see if that helps. I don't know if grains impact yeast but going grain free can help as well. I know some people that have yeast issues that stay away from grains or many carbs. Especially any wheat, potato, rice or corn. Is NVI duck grain free?

Yes, he has always been on grain free but i may have to switch his food...

Most Reactions

Members online