Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: discolored fur under neck, on inside legs n belly

Bulldog Vet in Training karenben's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Hilda
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: discolored fur under neck, on inside legs n belly

if its a yeast build up then its best to eliminate all carbs from his diet firstly,you can use acv on his body as well as giving it orally ,ensure his ears are not yeasted up ,there is a post under yeast info ,its a great article on yeast production,treatment ,prevention,karen

Kennel Cleaner
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Memphis
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by karenben View Post
    if its a yeast build up then its best to eliminate all carbs from his diet firstly,you can use acv on his body as well as giving it orally ,ensure his ears are not yeasted up ,there is a post under yeast info ,its a great article on yeast production,treatment ,prevention,karen
    what is acv? N Thanks, I will look that artical up...

Kennel Cleaner
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Memphis
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GatorRay View Post
    It was probably about 6 years ago but I did take her to the vet and they gave me some cream. Not sure what cream it was now since it was so long ago lol. Yeast can be caused by lots of reasons but she would have trapped moisture in her armpits so I had to make sure I kept it clean and dry.

You got some great advice from @desertskybulldogs about the shampoo and panalog. As far as diet, I would try a food with a protein that is not duck/chicken/turkey and see if that helps. I don't know if grains impact yeast but going grain free can help as well. I know some people that have yeast issues that stay away from grains or many carbs. Especially any wheat, potato, rice or corn. Is NVI duck grain free?
    Yes, he has always been on grain free but i may have to switch his food...

Kennel Cleaner
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Memphis
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by desertskybulldogs View Post
    Yes it looks like yeast or another bacteria growth. You probably already told us what you are feeding but I must ask again...(sorry)

Anti fungal shampoo, a good diet, panalog ointment should help it go away
    Where is the best place to get the shampoo n ointment?

Kennel Cleaner
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Memphis
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GatorRay View Post
    It was probably about 6 years ago but I did take her to the vet and they gave me some cream. Not sure what cream it was now since it was so long ago lol. Yeast can be caused by lots of reasons but she would have trapped moisture in her armpits so I had to make sure I kept it clean and dry.

You got some great advice from @desertskybulldogs about the shampoo and panalog. As far as diet, I would try a food with a protein that is not duck/chicken/turkey and see if that helps. I don't know if grains impact yeast but going grain free can help as well. I know some people that have yeast issues that stay away from grains or many carbs. Especially any wheat, potato, rice or corn. Is NVI duck grain free?
    Did ur Bassett have a rash or anything w it? Memphis is totally clear w no skin issues just the fur turning red...

I am in total control....I think Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bekah Bardwell View Post
    Did ur Bassett have a rash or anything w it? Memphis is totally clear w no skin issues just the fur turning red...
    Nope, no rash on the skin really. It was a little more pink than the rest of her skin but nothing alarming. Mostly it was the rusty colored fur. Oh, it was on her belly around her va jay jay area too. She still gets a little pink under her armpits sometimes but I am just very careful to keep it dry. Plus she is on a grain free food that has beef as the main ingredient.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruckus
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bekah Bardwell View Post
    Yes, he has always been on grain free but i may have to switch his food...
    Have you always used the duck? Ruckus did terrible with yeast when we tried the duck flavor Fromm.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Hilda
    Likes (Received)

apple cider vinigar,you can buy it at health shops ,make sure its unfiltered,i use it on annies itchy bits as shes still a bit itchy but not nearly as bad ,i also put it on her food as she wont take it in her water,just a desert spoon every morning,shes responding very well,but if it is a yeast problem then the only way to get rid of it is to not feed anything that can convert to sugar as carbs make sugar and sugar makes yeast,you may have to rethink kibble ,its only my opinion as the pics do look like bad yeast ,others may think differently ,but to be honest trying to deal with it yourself with natural remmedies is far better for the dog than medication which lowers the immune system thus leading to more problems and medication very rarely cures the illness just the symptoms,only my opinion though,karen

Kennel Cleaner
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Memphis
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Piamitch View Post
    Have you always used the duck? Ruckus did terrible with yeast when we tried the duck flavor Fromm.
    Yes but I am going today to pick up the Fromm Beef...

Kennel Cleaner
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Memphis
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Piamitch View Post
    What do u feed now?

Kennel Cleaner
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Memphis
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by karenben View Post
    apple cider vinigar,you can buy it at health shops ,make sure its unfiltered,i use it on annies itchy bits as shes still a bit itchy but not nearly as bad ,i also put it on her food as she wont take it in her water,just a desert spoon every morning,shes responding very well,but if it is a yeast problem then the only way to get rid of it is to not feed anything that can convert to sugar as carbs make sugar and sugar makes yeast,you may have to rethink kibble ,its only my opinion as the pics do look like bad yeast ,others may think differently ,but to be honest trying to deal with it yourself with natural remmedies is far better for the dog than medication which lowers the immune system thus leading to more problems and medication very rarely cures the illness just the symptoms,only my opinion though,karen
    What do u feed? I have him on Natures Variety Instinct duck n turkey but am going today to pick up Fromm Beef Frittata...

Bulldog(s) Names
    Hilda
    Likes (Received)

i raw feed my dog,i have cut out all carbs as i believe she has developed a yeast problem at the moment its only minor ,the only way to tackle yeast in a dog is to cut out carbs and sugar,she hasnt licked her paws today and her belly and pits look good,so im hoping that the yeast is slowly comming out of her system,karen

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads