cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I signed Tate up for some "puppy classes" at Pet Smart yesterday. He starts this Sat and it's a 6wk course.

I've heard good reviews and just so-so reviews about the classes there. I'm sure a lot depends on the instructor you get. Basically, i think it would be good for him to meet other puppies and socialize a little bit, and also, i'd really love to have him come to me more consistently when i call his name (without me having to dangle a snack in front of him!), and to not jump on people when he meets them.

Has anyone tried any of the classes at P.Smart and what'd u think? hopefully we'll both learn some helpful things there!

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
We signed Vegas up when he was about 10 months old, you are right it DOES depend on the instructor!! Ours was a joke, but I am not bashing PetSmart. I wanted him to be trained simple commands like sit, stay, lay down (I am not a good trainer, as it shows now) Her only concern for 3 weeks in a row, was to teach them to fetch their own leash!! I quit. He can sit, and lay and.....um that's about it! He was more in to trying to hump his classmates than learning to fetch his leash.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
We signed Vegas up when he was about 10 months old, you are right it DOES depend on the instructor!! Ours was a joke, but I am not bashing PetSmart. I wanted him to be trained simple commands like sit, stay, lay down (I am not a good trainer, as it shows now) Her only concern for 3 weeks in a row, was to teach them to fetch their own leash!! I quit. He can sit, and lay and.....um that's about it! He was more in to trying to hump his classmates than learning to fetch his leash.

:lmao:

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
Oliver is in a petsmart class and his instructor is awesome. In four weeks, he's learned sit, stay, wait, lay down, leave it, take it, and come when his name is called, no fetching of his leash, that's just crazy. I agree with the instructor part. We got lucky and Oliver's instructor is also an AKC certified evaluator for the S.T.A.R Puppy and CGC tests!!! So he def knows what he's doing. For all of Oliver's other classes he has to take, I'm making sure that I sign up with Kim's classes only.

LucysMum

Mar 26, 2011
S. New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
We had a good experience at PetSmart. It is important to do "homework" so your pup can get the hang of each command before you move on to a new one.

Good luck!

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I agree with the comments that it is the instructor that matters. I actually used one of the vet techs at our vets. She trains service dogs and does a puppy class after hours. It was great! I didn't need to take Gator. He learned sit, stay, lay down, leave it, and to come when he was called in about a week with me just coaxing him with a piece of cheese. lol. Gypsy on the other hand...she needs some SERIOUS training, Miss Bossy Pants.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.