Almost had a HEART ATTACK today.

OP
mbuxx

mbuxx

Mar 26, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Samson was found doing the dirty with a lawn knome a few blocks away..

Sent from my SGH-T959D using Tapatalk

sheila

Community Veteran
Nov 28, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Butler
wow, that is so scary! i'm so glad you got him back and no one stole him. i would have died before i could find butler if i were in that situation. :hug:

Zulma

Feb 17, 2011
Puerto Rico
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
Well here in PR I regret to say that we dont register our dogs only Pitbulls, but yes responsable pet owners do get thier dog vacinated as I have Zeus, he has all his shots. Most cities here are now doing campaigns going town to town providing free shots and also spraying, this has help alot of people.
Who love thier pets but just cant afford it.

malaviKat

Jun 15, 2011
Toronto
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
You are so fortunate to have gotten him back! I cannot even imagine going through that. We won't even tie our dog up outside when running into a coffee shop - one of us always stays with him or he stays home. We've been told that people would walk off with him for sure... You were fortunate that whomever found your baby had the decency to turn him in and not keep him for themselves!

I am also in Ontario (like mbuxx) and like many of you in the US, licensing is required here though there is no age stipulation. It's kind of ridiculous how much cheaper it is to license a fixed dog though I understand why the city (Toronto) does it. Chance was licensed as soon as we brought him home - partially as per the City's requirements and partially as per our condo's requirements (our pets must also be registered with property management with proof of City registration and vet information in order to have valid condo registration). The rabies tag comes from the vet and is separate to the City license.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Glad Samson got back home! That would definitely give me a heart attack too!

Yes, licensing a pet sometimes goes on the back burner when we have to worry about all the other stuff our pets need. But, this is actually one of the biggest reasons why licensing can be advantageous. Pet license is usually issued by City/County in the USA. So each city is different even if you live in the same State. In my city, licensed pets that end up in animal control goes to the back of the adoption/kill list. Unlicensed ones go to the front. So, say, you go on a 2 week vacation, you come home to find out the dog sitter never reported to you that he lost your pet on day 1... you go to the animal shelter and if you have a licensed dog, there's a good chance he's still there waiting for you and you end up paying a "loose dog" fine and get your dog back. If your dog is unlicensed, chances are, they've either been adopted or worse, graduated out of death row...

huh, I guess us Okies don't hafta license then, just rabies. Matilda got that done with her last set of puppy shots. I also don't plan on spaying her. Gonna give the breeding thing a shot when she is 2. Just once a year though.

Most cities that have animal control requires one. I looked up Moore, OK and it does state that Moore requires a license. You are so lucky that it only costs $2.50 a year! My dogs cost $20 each!
Faq - City of Moore

OMG!!! so glad he is safe and sound, although I have all Vegas's shot records including recent rabie shot, I do NOT have him licensed, you know I have never even thought of that!! Crap I better check in to that, I know in Ohio I had to have my dogs licensed but I do not know Florida rules @Bella'sMom ????????

Yep, Bradenton requires a license too. And lucky you, it's only $6/year! Waaaa... I'm so jealous.

When you get the rabies shot, it should come with a tag. I truly believe this is the license for your county. Now I don't have collars on the dogs while home, so if one did get out, no tags, however I have them micro chipped.

I don't know how it is in Orange Park, but in Jacksonville, the rabbies shot and the license are separate. Current rabies vaccination is required before you can get a license, therefore, the city allows vets to sell the license with the rabies shot. In Jacksonville, you need the license (and the rabies tag) updated yearly for dogs 4 months and older. And, the license fee is $20/dog/year!

And one other interesting tidbit in Jacksonville - rabies vaccination is required for licenses not just for dogs and cats... but also ferrets and pot-bellied pigs!

And... if @BruceP lived in Jacksonville, he wouldn't have to pay $20 for the license. He's too old. LOL... Seniors and disabled can get their pets licensed without charge.

Why I licensed my dogs: Florida is hurricane-prone. If we ever get hurricaned and have to put our pets in the evacuation shelter, they wouldn't take them without a current license. Also, the dog park I go to won't let a dog without a license in (but, they're pretty lax - you can give them an old tag). And... pet license is kinda like a driver's license. It doesn't hurt not to have one until you get stopped for speeding or some such and the police comes asking for it... and then they charge you like $500 bucks for having a pet without a license which pretty much ends up paying for your entire dog's lifetime worth of licenses... :D

Last edited:

Danielle Cope

Mar 25, 2011
Manteca, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rambo
OMG! Ive been there, its heartbreaking. My boston terrier got out april 13th, and to this day I still havent found her :( I have spent hundreds of dollars on her search, but sad to say, someone has her, and it breaks my heart they wont call the number on the collar and give her back. I keep my hopes up and someday hope to see her out and about so we can bring her back home, but till then I have my rambo and diamond to heal my hearts a bit. I miss her everyday but I thank everyone whos helped me, and I most of all thank having my rambo back, since they both got out at the same time. 2 best friends ever since I first I got rambo to be her friend.
079.jpg

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh my im so glad that you got him back. i would have a heart attack to if sarah was missing. i worry with her out in the pen with the boys in the winter time as there have been some dogs snatched in the towns nearby. luckily we live in an isolated area but you never know. sarah and i send hugs that it never happens again.

wormed

Aug 10, 2011
You are so fortunate to have gotten him back! I cannot even imagine going through that. We won't even tie our dog up outside when running into a coffee shop - one of us always stays with him or he stays home. We've been told that people would walk off with him for sure... You were fortunate that whomever found your baby had the decency to turn him in and not keep him for themselves!

I am also in Ontario (like mbuxx) and like many of you in the US, licensing is required here though there is no age stipulation. It's kind of ridiculous how much cheaper it is to license a fixed dog though I understand why the city (Toronto) does it. Chance was licensed as soon as we brought him home - partially as per the City's requirements and partially as per our condo's requirements (our pets must also be registered with property management with proof of City registration and vet information in order to have valid condo registration). The rabies tag comes from the vet and is separate to the City license.

Yea, I find it crazy that people cannot license their dogs until 6 months. I don't even have my dog yet, and he is already licensed. Tag in hand ready to go the moment I get him. I live in Alberta.

malaviKat

Jun 15, 2011
Toronto
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
$20 a year?! That's fantastic. In Toronto an unaltered dog is $60/year, $25/year if fixed.

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
SO glad you found your baby....I can't imagine! I'm sure your dad feels terrible.

Also, just wanted to throw out there that in PA they also do a "lifetime" dog license if you do a microchip. We got Penny chipped when we got her spayed last week & the vet's office gave us the application. It's nice to only do it once & I think only like $30. Something to check into if your bully is microchipped!

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
SO glad you found your baby....I can't imagine! I'm sure your dad feels terrible.

Also, just wanted to throw out there that in PA they also do a "lifetime" dog license if you do a microchip. We got Penny chipped when we got her spayed last week & the vet's office gave us the application. It's nice to only do it once & I think only like $30. Something to check into if your bully is microchipped!

WHOA! That's cool! They don't do that where I live because they require annual rabbies vaccination to qualify for the license. But, if I really think about it - they should be able to give out lifetime licenses because, they can always revoke the license if the rabbies shot is expired. But then, I guess they want their twenty bucks! Hah!

malaviKat

Jun 15, 2011
Toronto
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
Chance got microchipped by the breeder's vet and we got all the information when he came home with us.. But as far as I know, Toronto doesn't make any kind of exception when it comes to that. It's funny... we actually live on the border of Toronto and a neighboring city. Where we fall seems to be entirely dependent upon which city will make more money (car license, pet license, taxes etc.) :p

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
WHOA! That's cool! They don't do that where I live because they require annual rabbies vaccination to qualify for the license. But, if I really think about it - they should be able to give out lifetime licenses because, they can always revoke the license if the rabbies shot is expired. But then, I guess they want their twenty bucks! Hah!

I'll have to read the fine print...I may have to submit proof of rabies or something as we go along

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online