From The Archives--Bulldog Tales

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
This took place back in the early '80s.
We bought our first Bulldog, Sherman, as a companion dog to Jake. At that time we had a cabin up at Rimrock Lake in Washington. The first time Sherman went up there with us we walked the boys to the beach and let them off leash to play. Jake ran down the dock and jumped in the lake to go for a swim, and of course Sherman jumped in after him. That was when we realized that Bulldogs couldn't swim. PANIC!!! Sherman plowed through, almost parting the water, got to shore and turned around and barked at the water!
Parenting Bulldogs is a lot like parenting kids...you learn a lot from the first one.
Here is a picture of Sherman and Jake at the beach!
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

L

Lucy-licious

Wow Sherman was a beautiful looking Bully :luv:
Your heart must have been in your mouth watching him get back to shore :eek:

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Great Pic and story, obviously no one told Sherman he could not swim!! although I have seen pics of some that could. Vegas was like a bobber the first time I tried to let him, head first down, while his butt was up, NEVER again!! PANICKED!!!. Parenting a bulldog at any time is like parenting a child. I swear it is like a two year old, washing his face, washing his butt, making sure he eats right, good snacks, making sure he does not get overheated etc...and WHY do we do this?? We love our fur-babies as if they were our skin-babies. Just a curious NOSEY question...VERY NOSEY....how much did an EB cost in the 80's??? you dont have to answer, I know it is personal, just curious. Tell me to mind my own beez-wax!!! lol

OP
Alice Kable

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
[MENTION=1648]Lucy-licious![/MENTION] Sherman was a handsome boy and a real character. He got us hooked on the breed!

@KMARINO We paid $400 for Sherman and got him from a highly recommended breeder. It seemed like a small fortune then.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Well [MENTION=1612]Alice Kable[/MENTION], it is still a small fortune 20 some years later you can almost quadruple that plus. But to me worth every penny, allergies and all! :heart: our bully's!!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Love the story and love the picture ..... my husband drives past houses with lakes in front and sighs .. says how much he loves them. Then I just remind him that if we had any kind of water that it would have to be fully fenced. So I'd rather forego any kind of water in reach of my bully babies!!

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Aww...Sherman! lol. He really was a handsome boy. How scary! I am used to dogs that can't swim...Bassets are also aquatically challenged. lol

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
[MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] as long as I am physically and financially able to take care of Bulldogs I'll have one or two! I LOVE them, too!

This is so ironic..I was just thinking yesterday..I wish I wouldn't have waited so long to get a bulldog! I might be too old to outlast another pup down the road!! :cry:

OP
Alice Kable

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] the thing about Bulldogs is they do well with daily walks of a mile and under. As I approach 70 I'm thinking old is like 100 so maybe I have another 30 years of sharing my life with Bulldogs. I plan on taking them to "the home" with me!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] the thing about Bulldogs is they do well with daily walks of a mile and under. As I approach 70 I'm thinking old is like 100 so maybe I have another 30 years of sharing my life with Bulldogs. I plan on taking them to "the home" with me!

Yay..[MENTION=1612]Alice Kable[/MENTION]! Just yayyyyyyyyy! :smoochwink:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.