hiking his leg?!

Kristyle Morton

Apr 13, 2011
Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Bodacious
our bully turned 3 yesterday (as some of you might have known). well the past few months he's been hiking his leg BUT only in our bedroom & only while we're gone. yesterday was the 3rd time (on floor at corner/foot of the bed on husbands side) and this morning was the 4th time (on the kennel our female pup is in & at the same corner as last night, including the boxsprings of our bed). i am beyond fed up & hubby said we're getting him fixed on the 1st....question is, will that help or make him stop?! he is a part of our family & we love him, but i can't keep cleaning up his urine every time he wants to hike his leg on my bed..i'm sorry if that's mean, but i can't. :nonono:

L

Lucy-licious

I'm not sure if it will help to be honest as Lucy is a girl....but I'm sure others will have suggestions.
Lucy will Pee on my bed any time she can manage to get on it..I think its because the cats sleep with us and she can smell them on the bedding.
My only answer now is to keep my door shut and keep her out of the room. It works for us.

Will the coins in a can work with this kind of issue? I wonder? there are a few who have used this technique successfully with other training issues.

I really hope you can find an answer Bo is a beautiful dog :)

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Ohhhh..THAT'S NOT MEAN!!! That's mean of BO!! I don't know the answer to this..but I would run..not walk and get his butt fixed! Jake is the 1st male dog here in years..except for dear old Mac..a street guy who DID pee on our christmas tree his 1st Christmas with us! Had to rewrap a few gifts AND the dye ran off the present and stained our carpet red :cursing:..but he never did it again! Sounds like MR BO..is marking and that's nasty! I am so sorry he I'd being so dang difficult...:heart:

OP
Kristyle Morton

Kristyle Morton

Apr 13, 2011
Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Bodacious
Ohhhh..THAT'S NOT MEAN!!! That's mean of BO!! I don't know the answer to this..but I would run..not walk and get his butt fixed! Jake is the 1st male dog here in years..except for dear old Mac..a street guy who DID pee on our christmas tree his 1st Christmas with us! Had to rewrap a few gifts AND the dye ran off the present and stained our carpet red :cursing:..but he never did it again! Sounds like MR BO..is marking and that's nasty! I am so sorry he I'd being so dang difficult...:heart:

the part i'm the most mad about is if our pups kennel would have been smaller, she would have been covered in it..plus the smell of urine makes me sick. i feel like i just can't take it. my grandma told me about a spray that in a red/yellow/white can that is good to spot clean carpet as soon as the accident happens (but she didn't remember the name).

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I think getting him fixed is definitely the first step. I don't think it will stop right away. It might take some time for those hormones to get out of his system. Sometimes they don't stop even after neutering. I had a cat that would do it (neutered male) and I took him for progesterone shots at the vet and he stopped.

I would get him fixed, keep him out of your room for a few weeks until the hormones start to dissipate, then see what happens. If he does it after that, then talk to the vet.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
[MENTION=2209]Kristyle Morton[/MENTION] I'm sure you are tired of it. One time would tick me off. I think the more he does it..the harder it will be to stop him. I would get him fixed asap..and talk to your vet. I agree with [MENTION=1906]GatorRay[/MENTION]..I would move his crate and keep him away from his marking area. Can you leash him inside the house for awhile and if you see him trying to mark..deal with it strongly and immediately. I know that's a pain..but might be worth a try until you get him fixed. There is natures miracle. It is supposed to take away scent and clean at same time. I know it has worked for cats at my house! Wish I had a magic answer. Sigh

Last edited:

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Jake is the 1st male dog here in years..except for dear old Mac..a street guy who DID pee on our christmas tree his 1st Christmas with us! Had to rewrap a few gifts
OMG my other boys peed on my fake tree too, then Ace peed on a Christmas gift and then I made them pose for a Christmas picture in front of the tree a couple of years later, they weren't happy as that was a forbidden are then.

I think it's marking his territory? I'm no expert by no means but I have read that cleaners that have ammonia it attracts them back to the same spot to pee again. Pee is ammonia based and dogs are attracted to that so look for a cleaner that has no ammonia in it. I got a Simple Green cleaner at the Petco. Just thinking out loud here.

OP
Kristyle Morton

Kristyle Morton

Apr 13, 2011
Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Bodacious
OMG my other boys peed on my fake tree too, then Ace peed on a Christmas gift and then I made them pose for a Christmas picture in front of the tree a couple of years later, they weren't happy as that was a forbidden are then.

I think it's marking his territory? I'm no expert by no means but I have read that cleaners that have ammonia it attracts them back to the same spot to pee again. Pee is ammonia based and dogs are attracted to that so look for a cleaner that has no ammonia in it. I got a Simple Green cleaner at the Petco. Just thinking out loud here.

well we borrowed a friends steam vac carpet cleaner and have cleaned every room in the house so far except one (which we're doing today). Bo only marked his territory in our room even though our female pup has had accidents in the livingroom so idk if he's just peeing by where she sleeps or what....but he has started to act different (like more into licking on her you-know-what & smelling her ears) so i've talked to a vet and the 1st of june he's being fixed as long as they can fit him in. i really hope it stops because right now money is tight so idk if we can afford shots from the vet :nope: i told my hubby we'd do the neuter first and if it doesn't help after a while then we'd talk about other options. i just have a mix of emotions, we love Bo dearly but lately it just seems like he doesn't fit our family...he doesn't play with our son like he used to, marking his territory (i know it's just what males do but it's just irritating haha) & as mean as it sounds i feel like he's just a money pit. :*( ugh it's just all annoying. thank you guys so much for the advice though. i don't know anyone personally who has a bully so this site has really helped a lot!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I think it is great that you are being honest. This will help solve your problem.

At 3 years old I think that there may be something else that has started this behavior. Marking usually means claiming- and for some reason he seems to be claiming you/ your bedroom. Has anything changed at all recently? New routines, anything out of the ordinary? New dog, animals, kids visiting, guests, ect?? Also, is it possible he has a UTI?

I would like to point out that he is only doing what comes with instinct for him. The behaviors you are describing is what comes naturally in male dogs. Training is key. I think fixing him a great place to start, but it may not entirely solve the problem. Keep the door shut to your room. See if he marks anywhere else.

The reason I bring up change is because each time I had a baby my bully peed on my bed. Never done that before, but they were trying to tell me that I was theirs, and this new baby had to go! It stopped after they got to know our baby however, and I HAD to keep the door shut to my room.

melanieian

Mar 29, 2011
Louisiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Brodie
Awww don't get discouraged. Get him fixed and try to figure out what the problem is. Show him love and compassion but discipline. Don't let him feel rejected or he will act up more. Dogs can sense when something is not right. Hopefully fixing him will cure this problem and all will be well!!!

Last edited:

cslafferty

Jan 17, 2011
Linden, MI
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola (1/31/11) & Chief (9/18/00-12/30/10)
Our boy, Chief, was fixed right on schedule at 6mo old. and he still marked throughout his 10 year lifespan. We loved him to death, but that drove me crazy. He even knew what he was doing was wrong and was going to get him in trouble, but he'd mark pretty much anything new that came into the house, and my husband's shoes, our bed, bedroom furniture, couch, etc. We also had a male golden retriever who peed like a girl and never marked anything, so he didn't learn it from him. After Chief passed away and we were ready for another bully, I convinced a reluctant husband that we would pick a girl this time!

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
:nope:So sorry about that! I think you need to get him fixed, I think this should curve his urge to do this, but also you need to show him that that is a bad thing to do.

NJBullyMommy

Apr 20, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (Bruty, Bru Bru, Brutus Maximus)
our bully turned 3 yesterday (as some of you might have known). well the past few months he's been hiking his leg BUT only in our bedroom & only while we're gone. yesterday was the 3rd time (on floor at corner/foot of the bed on husbands side) and this morning was the 4th time (on the kennel our female pup is in & at the same corner as last night, including the boxsprings of our bed). i am beyond fed up & hubby said we're getting him fixed on the 1st....question is, will that help or make him stop?! he is a part of our family & we love him, but i can't keep cleaning up his urine every time he wants to hike his leg on my bed..i'm sorry if that's mean, but i can't. :nonono:

We got Brutus fixed just over a year because he started peeing and marking in the house....especially on my fiance's work clothes and anything of his. I guess they feel the need to be the man in the house? Anyways, we got him fixed and he has not marked on anything in the house. He still marks outside, but hey that's fine cause we don't have to clean it up :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.