Buying a Bulldog for the first time..

Saporito09

May 11, 2011
I am wanting to buy my first bulldog. The only problem is that I cannot find any under $1,000. Since I am a college student I can't afford to pay that much. Should I give up on trying to find one for around $500?...

Mack-N-MatildasMommy

Bulldog Spoiler
Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Moore, OK
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda A.K.A Sassy Pants & Mighty Mack A.K.A. Fat Peanut
Hi and welcome!! Have you considered Adoption?? There are plenty of bullies of all ages looking for forever homes.

OP
S

Saporito09

May 11, 2011
My parents are going to help with with providing for the dog but they want me to pay for it myself. As a way of showing that it is a big responsibility and knowing how much I am going to have to put into him/her.

Katie9449

May 2, 2011
Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel Tank
I will just be honest with you...if you are able to find a bully for $500 then you will spend a TON of money on vet bills. Unless it is a rescue dog which is a great way to do a great thing. You need to research breeders A LOT and not just impulse buy one. There are tons of people who sell these guys unhealthy and a mess just to make some fast cash. It is terrible what happens to this breed b/c people go into it and don't think it through. I would continue to save and buy one from a reputable breeder that will allow you a higher chance of a healthy bully baby. Just research and research some more...

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
Sorry, but I agree with [MENTION=2322]Katie9449[/MENTION]. Do your research and save up some more money. Find a reputable breeder, find out how much they sell their puppies for and you will have a ball park figure to save up. It's great that your parents are going to help with the "maintenance" part of the new bully, but they do take a lot of work and they are prone to many more health issues than other breeds. So RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, that's all I can say.

NJBullyMommy

Apr 20, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (Bruty, Bru Bru, Brutus Maximus)
There is a lot of work that goes into owning a bulldog. I'm 25 and didn't realize what I was getting myelf into when I bought Brutus. They are not cheap because they do have more needs than other breeds and simple vet visits do add up since ebd's are prone to skin infections, eye issues and may also need surgery. I would try adoption if you cannot afford to purchase one, but to tell the truth if you cannot afford the $1,000 to purchase one you will most likely not be able to afford food and vet care. Wait until you're out of college and on your feet. I promise there will still be one waiting for you then :)

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I so agree with everyone..I thought I was prepared..but as with all good things..surprises abound! Take more time and read all you can. Hang around here for lots of info..and just like [MENTION=2251]NJBullyMommy[/MENTION] said..the perfect pup..or rescue will be there for you!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
As much as I would love to tell you that getting an EB for $500 is possible, it just is not if you are looking for a puppy. Even if you get a rehomed adult or adopt one at that price, making sure they are on good food and having emergency funds available should something go wrong is also wise. The cheapest part of owning an English Bulldog is the purchase price. And if you see pups for sale for under $1000 they are either scams or they are NOT English Bulldogs.

Good luck to you, and I do hope someday you will have your dream bulldog. They are worth saving for, and you won't regret it (well at least I never have!) Keep in touch with us, we would love to know how your search goes!!! It was nice to meet you!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Well if your parents are prepared for what a bulldog costs in care then I have to disagree with everyone who says you cant afford it in the end just because you stated they will be supporting the pup aside from buying. BUT I would NOT be looking for any bully even under say 1500 if you are looking for a puppy. I paid much more and would actually recommend paying more than that. The more you pay up front USUALLY dictates their health. Of course nothing is guaranteed and the most expensive pup can have many problems so you must make sure your parents know what they are agreeing to before hand. What I think would be best for you is rescue by far. You still pay a decent amount because they dont want to just give the pups away to people who arent willing to care for them properly but you can get the exact type you need to fit with your lifestyle. Plus you know in advance the health and obedience issues they have had so you really do know what you are getting involved in more. I say talk to your parents and make sure you all agree and then check into the local rescues in your area and just get an idea of what you are in for. Good luck! This is the best breed you could have so long as you are prepared.

OP
S

Saporito09

May 11, 2011
Thank you all for your opinions. I think the smart choice is to wait to get one, it sounds like you get what you pay for. The only reason I wouldn't want to adopt is because I wouldn't want to get attacthed to the dog and then lose him a few years down the road since I read the life expectancy is 8-10 yrs?

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I recommend waiting as well. At least, until you have enough cash to purchase a puppy. There's never a guarantee of perfect health even if you buy at the 'average' price range, but the chances are greater than if you get one cheaper.

We're all glad and happy that you're giving it a lot of thought, remember, great things come to those who wait. :luv:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
You will find many bullies in rescue are under the age of 3 too. Don't forget to read the puppy buying tips as well. :)

OP
S

Saporito09

May 11, 2011
Alright I need some help, I have found a dog that I am considering apoting. I have asked all the basics but how do I make sure that I am getting a healthy dog? She said the dog is ckc certified and that she has papers from the breeder (which she says is her good friend). I am nervous about not getting scammed or having an unhealthy dog. Suggestions are GREATLY appreciated! Thanks guys

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online