Earliest age to take a Bulldog puppy home? So confused!

Valerie Abro

May 6, 2011
Hey guys, so I've been reading so many different comments on what the best age is to take a puppy home and most of them say 8 weeks but then there are those that say 6 or 7 weeks is fine and may even be better because after 8 weeks they hit their fear stage and so it's good for them to be comfortable with you during the weeks before. Well I'm supposed to be getting my English Bulldog this weekend but he's only going to be 6 weeks and a few days old. Is that to early?? I'm sooo excited to get him and I honestly don't want to wait but I also want to do what's best for him so if that means I have to wait another week or two then I definitely will. Any advice would be great, thanks!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Hi Valerie..I don't think we've met! Nice to meet you..so glad you joined! Congrats on getting a new pup! I am not an expert..but I think 8 weeks is a good age. They have been weaned for a bit and are more mobile. We brought Jake home 2 days before he was 8 weeks old. They do learn a lot from their litter mates those last couple weeks. They play fight and learn about their place in their world. I know how excited you must be..I can only tell you about our experience.

OP
V

Valerie Abro

May 6, 2011
Hi! Thank you so much and it's nice to meet you too =) Yea me and my husband are super excited! He's all we can think about and literally we have been researching so much to make sure we are doing everything right but it's a little overwhelming! Well mostly everyone is saying 8 weeks and I actually even called 2 vets today and they both said 6 weeks is okay as long as he is completely weaned but I'm still thinking that might be too young especially because it's important for him to socialize with the rest of his mates as you mentioned, I'm thinking we might just need to wait! Oh and your bulldog is adorable!!

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
The breeder who sold me my bulldog didn't give me my pup till he was 10 weeks. I did put a deposit on him in advance though. Just had to be patient.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Hi Valerie, Welcome to EBN. Whatever questions you have someone here for sure will have an answer for you so fire away. But I'm afraid there is no definitive answer to this question, only opinions. And you are right, the most common opinion is that you wait till 8 weeks from what I have heard. By the way, don't forget that we all love pix so please post some when you get your new baby. Do you have a name picked out yet?? ;)

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
My breeder didn't put a specific age on when the puppies could go to their new homes, she just said once they are eating well on their own. I opted to not pick up Sebastian until he was 9 weeks old, and I picked Oliver up from her when he was 12 weeks, but that was because Oliver was a replacement puppy. I think 8 weeks is the perfect age to bring one home. Let them stay and play with their littermates for a little while longer will give them a good head start on socialization skills.

NJBullyMommy

Apr 20, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (Bruty, Bru Bru, Brutus Maximus)
Welcome! I was able to take my Brutus home at 10 weeks. They say 8 weeks is perfectly fine, but the breeder we got ours from said he waits until 10 weeks just to make sure that the pup is prefectly fine to go home with us. I didn't complain...he was an angel when we got him. As for now....different story when he's running all over my house :p

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I would say at least a few days after they have had their first set of immunizations. Can't wait to see your tiny puppy!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Welcome!! Cannot remember when we got our Mugsy whether it was 6 or 8 weeks to tell you the truth But he was raised without his mama cuz she died from birth complications so I think it made less difference aside from taking his siblings from him. I have heard it socializes them better if they are there at least 8 weeks but I am sure the pup will be ok nomatter when you bring him home. Congrats!!! Cannot wait to meet him and nice to meet you also. Please share pics!!!!!

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Congratulations on your new puppy! Looking forward to seeing photos of him.
I brought Tate home when he was 8wks old. He's now almost 15wks and can be a little terror but i love him like crazy. I know you will enjoy your new baby!

OP
V

Valerie Abro

May 6, 2011
Thank you all so much for your advice! I will wait then as much as I want him now, I do agree he should have some more time to socialize with his littemates. I will definitely post pics and we've decided to name him Hercules! =) All of your bulldogs are SO adorable and I'm so happy to have found a place to be able to connect with others!

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
:welcome:I think as long as he is weaned and eating well, and of course has his first check up , it will be fine. Good luck with your bully!!! Your life is going to change forever:heart:

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
There are SO many opinions on this topic. I personally believe that if they are still with the mother, then wait as long as you can! Mom will teach them about proper behavior and potty etiquette (meaning, don't go potty where you live and that means the crate too) so they are often much easier to house train when they are a bit older and are sometimes more able socialize with other dogs. If the option is there, I actually prefer 10 or 12 weeks before picking up my puppy. I would offer to take a shirt that you've worn or a blanket you have slept with for the puppy to get used to your scent as well so that you will at least be *somewhat* familiar in some way.

I usually try to stay away from this topic as I watched a huge row on a basset site about it, and it is just a matter of opinion. I would definitely wait until 8 weeks at the youngest. I really just think you should do what is right for you and your family :)

All that being said, CONGRATULATIONS! I am so excited for you! I can't wait to see your new addition so be sure to post tons of pictures!

Last edited:

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Hello and congrats on your new puppy to be and welcome to EBN. We picked up Wilson 1 day shy of 8 weeks. I thought that was the perfect age. I did see a lot of breeders when we were looking wouldn't release the pup until 10 weeks. I got to enjoy 2 extra weeks of puppy breath, oh I miss that. Can't wait to see pictures :).

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.