panting

Walter

May 10, 2011
Alliance, NE
Bulldog(s) Names
Walter
My Walter a two year old bulldog has been waking up panting like he is hot. I live in western nebraska and I run a ceiling fall all night in my bedroom and he sleeps in a kennel in my bedroom I just dont think he is hot and dont understand why he is waking up panting like he is hot any suggestions I do have air conditioning in my house so it is cool:unsure::unsure::unsure:

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
Hi there! Maybe he is hot in the kennel.How about a small fan on the floor for Walter? Perhaps change his bedding to something made of cotton material. And make sure he has water in case he needs some(even at nite). :heart:

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Hmm...isn't someone else having this problem?

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
That would be me (or Wilson) who was, and is, having the panting issue. We just bought Wilson a small fan at Wal-Mart this weekend and guess what, he loves it. He sits right in front of it. We have it in our room and in front of his crate at night and keep it on low. Sunday night he woke up panting and we turned the fan on and right back to sleep he went. I'm not sure if it's not about air circulation rather than heat since it's still cool here (48 tomorrow, brrrr.....).

Last edited:

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
That would be me (or Wilson) who was, and is, having the panting issue. We just bought Wilson a small fan at Wal-Mart this weekend and guess what, he loves it. He sits right in front of it. We have it in our room and in front of his crate at night and keep it on low. Sunday night he woke up panting and we turned the fan on and right back to sleep he went. I'm not sure if not about air circulation rather than heat since it's still cool here (48 tomorrow, brrrr.....).

AHA! The air circulation! I betcha that is the key for Wilson and could also be for Walter.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
AHA! The air circulation! I betcha that is the key for Wilson and could also be for Walter.

Hopefully that's it. Walter, could you let me know if that works for you too? I'd be real curious. I really think that's it as he's in one of those typical plastic crates with the metal door and slates at the sides vs. an opened wire crate like he has downstairs for the daytime.

I wanted to add that we have a ceiling fan too but that doesn't get the air flowing in his crate, just over us.

Last edited:
OP
W

Walter

May 10, 2011
Alliance, NE
Bulldog(s) Names
Walter
So did this help any I hope?

A fan did help Walter. I did the same thing got him a fan to blow at his kennel and when I hear him panting I just turn is on and he goes right to sleep. I do believe it was just the air circulation rather than hot or cool. Thanks everyone for the help. I just love my guy!!!:tongue:

OP
W

Walter

May 10, 2011
Alliance, NE
Bulldog(s) Names
Walter
A fan did help Walter. I did the same thing got him a fan to blow at his kennel and when I hear him panting I just turn is on and he goes right to sleep. I do believe it was just the air circulation rather than hot or cool. Thanks everyone for the help. I just love my guy!!!:tongue:

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh that is so great to hear! I tuned in on the air circulation when our room was only 66 and the inside of his crate when I touched it was cool so I knew it wasn't hot in there. I'm one who doesn't fair well when the air is stagnant, I always need circulating air or my air ways feel like their tightening up.

I think we need to see a picture of Walter!! :pics: of Walter. :)

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
im so glad a fan helped your bully. I have to use a fan for sarah even though she sleeps in the bed with me. she used to wake up panting before i got it. now i turn it on before bed and she usually sleeps all night. I do find also that she sleeps better on the bedsheets than on the bedcovers. if she does wake up panting even with the fan i can usually just move the blankets and put her on the bedsheet and she will be fine. Yea another success story

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
YAY!!! When you said that a fan helped, I remembered an article I read about babies and the "bumper" pads you put in cribs. They block out the air circulation and it can be bad for the babies. I am a mom of 6 so of course I would connect the two!

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
Glad to hear that the fan worked!! Delilah loves to stand in front of fans, lol.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.