People shy?

kev122573

Mar 1, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Tipsy
Okay so this isn't a huge problem (yet) but I think Ms Tipsy is getting people shy. She has been shying away from people who come up to her to pet her. She wasnt like this a few months back. She gets scared and starts "light" barking and trying to stay away. She is not like this with friends or the people at her day camp and she doesn't do it all the time. Should I be socializing her more? Or is this is a typical bull behavior?

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I'm not sure it's typical bully behaviour ..... maybe ask people to wait until Tipsy comes to them rather than they just going straight in for the cuddles and the petting. It could just be too overwhelming for her. Once she's sniffed them then they should gently pet her.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
depends on her age they nearly all go through a fear stage usually between 6 and 12 months,most dogs can go through it ,its not just a bully thing ,just like babies and toddlers,ignore her and carry on what your doing,ask people she meets not to take any notice of her she will come round,mine is 11 months and has suddenly become scared of the back gate!!!!,so i leash her up and walk through it she has no choice,once she realised it was the same gate she has been using since she came here then it was no longer an issue,karen

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Gator was kind of like that when we brought him home. I decided to take him to school where I work and let the kids love on him. They were all very respectful and gentle and got down on his level to give him love and since then, he has been a lot more friendly. She might just be a little overwhelmed when people come right to her. Have them come low and slow. lol

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
I never had that problem with Delilah. I started socializing her at 8 weeks around dogs I knew were vaccinated and around all kinds of people, because I didn't want a fearful dog. My last dog was fearful and dog aggressive and it was just miserable taking him anywhere.

Give her lots of praise when she is good with strangers. Have strangers approach her slowly, and allow her to walk up to them first. Too much stimulation could be frightening her if she's a bit skittish.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online