My bully bit me...hard

melanieian

Mar 29, 2011
Louisiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Brodie
We were at my sisters house and her dog grabbed a sonic cup and Brodie grabbed it out of his mouth. Brodie has an obsession with any type of paper, he thinks he has to eat it. So I was trying to get the pieces out of his mouth and he bit my hand, hard. Not a play bite, he attacked me. He is 5 months old, fully potty trained, doesn't bark, listens to my commands and doesn't do the puppy play biting anymore. So when he did this it really shocked me. I don't understand why he would attack me over a cup?? He constantly finds something he shouldn't have to put in his mouth and he tries to swallow it before you can take it. Any suggestions on how to make sure this never happens again???? :*(

OP
melanieian

melanieian

Mar 29, 2011
Louisiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Brodie
Also, this really has nothing to do with my other post, but his top teeth are sooo out of line, he has teeth behind teeth up top and his bottom two teeth in the middle have not fallen out yet. He still has baby teeth there while the other 4 and this fangs are bigger teeth. Do Bullies usually have teeth problems?

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
No help on the teeth question. Are you sure he meant to bite you or were you in the way? To me there is a big diff between trying to bite you and accidentally biting you. That is the first thin you need to determine. If he did try to really bite you then I would go with making him submit to you by putting him on his back. Especially at such a young age, it should be easy enough to remind him that you are in charge, not him. Did he draw blood? If not then maybe he wasnt "trying" to bite you? Course even having drawn blood doesnt mean he did try either.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Also, this really has nothing to do with my other post, but his top teeth are sooo out of line, he has teeth behind teeth up top and his bottom two teeth in the middle have not fallen out yet. He still has baby teeth there while the other 4 and this fangs are bigger teeth. Do Bullies usually have teeth problems?
I agree with [MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION], was it intentional or trying to bite you? Any behavior that I do not find acceptable, I put Vegas on his back and make him submit. About the teeth, Vegas is 2 and his top teeth are all over the place, he has teeth behind teeth, and these are his permanent teeth it is really weird to look at, some are almost in the roof of his mouth. It does not hinder his eating, he actually inhales his food. I don't know if this is normal, but Vegas's teeth are the same.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I've got a 3 and 1/2 month old bully and he nips and bites me quite often, so much so that i have scars to prove it.:( And tho i know he doesn't do it intentionally or to hurt me, it still doesn't feel good, both physically and emotionally. Sometimes when he is biting into my arm (for example), he'll even be growling. This can sometimes be rather disheartening! Like @cali-jen and [MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] stated, I too put Tate on his back til he submits. And lately, whenever he bites me, i'll immediately say a firm "NO!", get up and turn my back to him. I've been doing this consistently for the past 4 days or so and i've noticed a considerable decrease in the biting. Good luck to you.

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
[MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION]< Good for you!! Do not let your dog bite you under any circumstances! This is a big No,NO. It is hard to see their faces and think ,Oh,He didnt mean it - But we must be very firm when it comes to boundries. Scott used to let Mocha calm herself by letting Her nibble or lick his hand as if it was a toy, and we had a big argument over this, I told Him that someday we would have a friend over and Mocha would think is OK to this this. This was a little while ago, and Mocha is not allowed to do that ever. When it comes to bitting you need to step up and show you are in charge.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I found that ignoring them works great when they do something like that. When Gator would nip at me (puppy stuff), I would make a horrible sound, push him away, and ignore him. He stopped within a few days. I also had my daughter feed him a few meals a little at a time from her hand and in order to get a bite, he had to perform a command. Simple things like sit, down, etc. That stopped him from nipping her as well.

If you really think he did it on purpose, I would certainly show him who is boss immediately after (if it should happen again). You can't do it now or he will have no idea why you are doing it. I would maybe flip him over and keep him there until he is calm. It might not even need to be that firm. Even a VERY strong NO and moving him away from you might work. He has to understand that EVERYTHING (and I mean everything in the world) is YOURS and if you choose, he must give it to you just like a pack leader would expect from him. You also might want to work on the "leave it" command. Start now while he is young!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I don't know what Brodie is like usually .. you are describing an incident with another dog where there could be an issue as to who is dominant and by taking the paper cup you just "got in the way" of their little power struggle.

To make you feel better and reinforce your position as alpha ... feed him and make him sit and wait until you give the command to start. Once he's started to eat, frequently take the bowl off him and make him sit and wait again. Do that with toys .. EVERYTHING ... because it's like another poster said... everything in his ENTIRE world belongs to you, and not him. Therefore, you have to prove continuously that you have the power to take things away and then give things back again.

I know it will be hard with that sweet bully face staring back at you ... but you have to take everything away from him, to show him that YOU can give him permission to have it.

My guess is that this was a mistake in the throws of playing hard/struggle for dominance, and your hand got in the way. BUT it never hurts to continue to show your power as the alpha. In a pack, as the leader, you would be susceptible to another powerful dog trying to take your place. Therefore, in a natural situation you would be continuouly reinforcing your position. So that's all you have to do.

OP
melanieian

melanieian

Mar 29, 2011
Louisiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Brodie
Thanks for the advice all I will try it!! I'm not sure if he did on purpose but when he has a toy or something he is not suppossed to have and you try to take it from him he tries to bite higher up on it so you can't take it from him and I think that is what he was doing, not necessarily trying to bite me. It just really hurt my feelings cause he is a very calm sweet loving dog and I love on him all the time. I mean he curls up on my pillow next to me and gives me kisses daily. His entire body shakes with excitment when he sees me. It's too funny. I have put him on his back several times when he was in the puppy biting phase and he would constantly grabbed the bottoms of my jeans and pull on them and that seemed to help along with the coins in the can.

OP
melanieian

melanieian

Mar 29, 2011
Louisiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Brodie
I agree with [MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION], was it intentional or trying to bite you? Any behavior that I do not find acceptable, I put Vegas on his back and make him submit. About the teeth, Vegas is 2 and his top teeth are all over the place, he has teeth behind teeth, and these are his permanent teeth it is really weird to look at, some are almost in the roof of his mouth. It does not hinder his eating, he actually inhales his food. I don't know if this is normal, but Vegas's teeth are the same.

That is exactly how Brodies top teeth are!! LOL ok good as long as it doesn't hurt them I'm okay. I think it's cute!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online