Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Let's talk discipline...

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)

desertsky I feel for you and hope this works out one way or another. I dont know how you do it, you have your hands more than full thats for sure!

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Samson
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I like Libra do spray them with a spray bottle in certain situations. Like if we have people over and both of them are begging I just show them the spray bottle and they back off. Only needed to get sprayed once and they HATED it. Same with someone coming over and them jumping up on my guest. Like if I have a girlfriend over with a dress or skirt on I take the spray bottle out. Having a bulldog jumping up on your bare legs can be very painful

Glad to hear that deserysky! You will win this battle! Maybe one night when the family is hanging out in the living room watching TV or whatever, try putting them each on a leash, each being held by a different person and just sit down and hang out. Getting used to being in the same room in a situation where if they got along the dogs would all just be hanging out too.

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Moses
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I would recommend getting Ceasar Milan's DVD set... I don't know anyone else as versed in dog behavior as him, and his focus is to educate people. I have learned a lot and feel it was money well spent.

What I have learned so far... giving cookies to break up bad behavior only rewards the behavior. Using the spray bottle to divert their focus can be effective for fixing the problem at the moment, but unless the cause of the problem is identified, such as the dog assuming the position of "pack lead", and worked on, you will probably have to continue fixing the moments. But without having full insight to your dogs behavior, it would be difficult to determine the source... again, knowledge in dog behavior is the key to identifying and fixing, and I'm convinced that Ceasar does very well in educating.

Another thing I learned... "time out" works for humans because they can reflect on their behavior... dogs live in the moment, and you must correct bad behavior immediately. And yelling "NO" can elevate the excitement which is the source of a lot of dog behavior problems... the calm assertive energy approach really does work. Dogs really do want to please, and they learn best when they themselves are calm... they often reflect your own energy.

I'm not claiming to be a "know it all", just sharing what I have learned as I am preparing for the arrival of our new pup.

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)

When I give time outs it isnt as a punishment as much as a cooling down for the boys to refocus. My boys dont fight often and when they do this works for us. For people who have the aggression like desertsky I am sure this is not the answer, the problem is much more rooted than this. I also think Ceasar Milan is great although I havent seen his dvds. The work he does is amazing!

Bulldog Walker Become a 4 Paw Member Kikiwhoa21's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicky! :)
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chev Chelios && Faith
    Likes (Received)

I have a very similar situation. Our Chelios is a little over a year old and have had him since he was a pup. He's an extremely good boy knows right from wrong and mostly always listens to his mommy. But we recently got a a new addition to our family. A little girl bulldog who is 11 weeks old and boy is she a little rascal! Chelios was never this hyper or disobedient. I'm not sure if its because of her age or if she's just a wild child. She's always biting EVERYTHING especially fingers and toes. She pees everywhere, no matter how many times I take her outside to pee. she still manages to pee inside. When I spank her she just waddles her little booty all happy. When Chelios was a pup a spanking or the tone in my voice did the trick, but nope not with this little spit of fire. When she plays with Chelios, she plays so rough! She bites and bites like no other while galling and being a meanie ! She'll bite, hang and dangle while latched on to his cheek. last time she bit him so hard he was bleeding. :/ When Chelios doesn't wanna play she picks and picks until she gets his attention to play. But she looks soo mean when she plays. I'm not sure if its nice play or if she should be punished? I don't want her to learn bad habits, but i'm not sure how to punish her. She's always happy && wiggling her little booty after scolding as if it meant nothing. I'm not exactly how to handle the situation or how to punish her? :/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads