to neuter or not to neuter

James3900

May 26, 2011
Svebolle, Vestsjalland, Denmark, Denmark
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella and Neelix
I did a search and found this thread. I have always planned to neuter Neelix since my other dogs are all female but I was never sure when to do it but from the great info here I will doing it at around 6months. I was a little worried though as I have read it can effect his growth and he can end up smaller than if I did not do it but there seems to be some conflict over this.

Jzepeda87

Apr 22, 2011
Berwyn,il
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocky, Rocks,Papa, Charlie lol i dont know y
Neuter....!!!!!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1307442377.652186.jpg
On way to get neuter....:-(

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1307444772.940796.jpg
On way to free him from this cone lol, I felt bad for cone he chewed the crap out of it....!!!!

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I stumbled upon a newspaper article about the subject and thought that it was a great one because of its 'neutrality'. It explained briefly the benefits, risks and other such studies.

Van Veen: The pros and cons of spay and neuter

http://www.thestar.com/living/article/885108--van-veen-the-pros-and-cons-of-spay-and-neuter

Q: I have a Morkie that is six months old. The veterinarian says he should be neutered. But there seems to be other schools of thought about this. How does altering too soon or too late affect the dog? I am not sure if I should have him fixed now or wait until he is a year old.

A: Ask rescue workers who face the constant influx of unwanted litters and they will quickly point to the massive pet overpopulation problem.
These people have a very valid reason for suggesting owners alter pets before the first heat cycle. Some agencies go as far as fixing animals at eight weeks of age.
There are others who see no harm in waiting, believing it's really the personal choice of the pet owner.
And dog breeders for obvious reasons want to make the choice themselves.
These different opinions are what make the decision difficult. That's what happens when there are too many variables to consider. Researchers are investigating all of them, which leds to more questions that need to be answered.
Most families really just want to know what is best for their dog? As with most heated topics the answer is, it depends.
There are risks with both choices. Surgery carries the risk of complications. Severe reactions to anesthetic rarely happen, but it is a possibility. Other problems may include infections and spay incontinence. Dogs with underlying medical conditions such as heart murmurs might not tolerate surgery well.
Cancer risk is another consideration. Female dogs can avoid or reduce the risk of certain types of cancer if they are spayed early in life. Mammary — or breast cancer — is one such example. Male dogs can for the most part avoid testicular cancer if they are neutered.
But there are also disadvantages. Altered animals may have higher risk rates for bone and heart cancer. At least one study shows that male dogs face increased risk the earlier they are altered.
Many of these health problems have a breed component. Some breeds have a genetic predisposition to certain diseases. When altering reduces those health issues, it's a positive benefit. But when it increases the risk even further, owners need to know.
Don't expect that surgery will magically cure an existing behaviour problem. There is no consensus among research studies. You can find a study to back up nearly any position.
One study indicates that intact male dogs are responsible for most attacks. Another shows it is neutered males that are responsible for the most bites. Read a bit further and you'll find a study that says altering can increase aggression in females.
This much conflict usually means other factors are coming into play. Factors such as socialization, anxiety or abuse are more likely to blame.
If you want a friendly and obedient pet, then use strategies such as training and behaviour modification.
There is one notable exception. Intact animals go into heat and start searching for mates. They start wandering. They dig under fences and roam.
Intact dogs are known to get into fights over prospective mates. Spaying and neutering before sexual maturation removes the motivation for these types of problems.
In the end, each person is bound to make their own decision.
Those decisions should incorporate the dog's health, sex and breed. Whatever decision you make, do it in conjunction with your pet's veterinarian.
If you have valid reasons for postponing surgery, remember you are responsible for your pet. Don't contribute to pet overpopulation.

Spinal Remains

May 31, 2011
Nassau County, N.Y.
Bulldog(s) Names
Rufus Hambone (Hambonicus, Ruffie, Baby Bone, and 'Gargoyle Boy' - he sits on arm of couch
Nothing is worse than a sexually frustrated dog. If you're not planning on breeding, why wouldn't you do it?

He'll go crazy into adulthood without sexual release. You do not want that in a pet.

jazzman930

Jun 20, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston, Nigel, Wilbur
What r the advantages and disadvantages esp for bullies? I have the appt scheduled for 5/27 but many people r telling me not too as it is going to drastically change Guinness behavior. What do u guys think??

It`s advised that you should "not "neuter your bullbeast until around 12 to 14 month of age, as the Bulldog does not fully mature until then, and it needs to be in tacked to assure the correct and healthiest growth of the dog.

Also, if it`s an alpha male, and he is not neutered, be prepared to stop every 10 ft or so, for him to mark.....and they can be stubborn.

If you do decide to get him neutered, make ABSOLUTELY SURE, YOU HAVE A VET THAT IS WELL VERSED, AND HIGHLY EXPERIENCED WITH ENGLISH BULLDOGS, because they can die very easily under anesthesia.....

lovemydog

Apr 16, 2013
Wichita, KS
Country
Hong Kong
Bulldog(s) Names
Angus (2011-2013), Orrla (2009-2020), Dugall
It`s advised that you should "not "neuter your bullbeast until around 12 to 14 month of age, as the Bulldog does not fully mature until then, and it needs to be in tacked to assure the correct and healthiest growth of the dog.

Also, if it`s an alpha male, and he is not neutered, be prepared to stop every 10 ft or so, for him to mark.....and they can be stubborn.

If you do decide to get him neutered, make ABSOLUTELY SURE, YOU HAVE A VET THAT IS WELL VERSED, AND HIGHLY EXPERIENCED WITH ENGLISH BULLDOGS, because they can die very easily under anesthesia.....

Absolutely true, my first English Bulldog, Angus, 2 years old, was killed because of the wrong anesthesia.
When he was 10 months old, he had two hours eyes surgery and came out fine, but it was very scary. When he got out of the hospital, he was so mad at us, the three hours drive from the hospital, he just stood there in the backseat, looked out at the window, didn't want to look at us.
Also, because of our favorite groomer, when we knew her, she had an English Bulldog. Few months later, she told us that when her dog went under the neuter procedure, he had a heart attack and pass away. Everytime, when she saw Angus, she cried. Therefore we decided not to neuter him, didn't want him (or us) to go through any surgery again.
Last year, Angus had foxtail seed lodged between his toes during the weekend, he was limping, therefore we decided to bring him to the emergency hospital, thought that the vet could pull the seed out, some how, the young vet decided to open up the wound, she gave him anesthesia (injection, but no tube set up to help him breath during the procedure) .. next minutes he was fighting for his breathe and died on the table ...

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
Absolutely true, my first English Bulldog, Angus, 2 years old, was killed because of the wrong anesthesia.
When he was 10 months old, he had two hours eyes surgery and came out fine, but it was very scary. When he got out of the hospital, he was so mad at us, the three hours drive from the hospital, he just stood there in the backseat, looked out at the window, didn't want to look at us.
Also, because of our favorite groomer, when we knew her, she had an English Bulldog. Few months later, she told us that when her dog went under the neuter procedure, he had a heart attack and pass away. Everytime, when she saw Angus, she cried. Therefore we decided not to neuter him, didn't want him (or us) to go through any surgery again.
Last year, Angus had foxtail seed lodged between his toes during the weekend, he was limping, therefore we decided to bring him to the emergency hospital, thought that the vet could pull the seed out, some how, the young vet decided to open up the wound, she gave him anesthesia (injection, but no tube set up to help him breath during the procedure) .. next minutes he was fighting for his breathe and died on the table ...

oh my god that is a heartbreaking story! i'm so sorry you lost Angus over a relatively minor procedure. To be honest with you I hear the debate back and forth on whether you should neuter or not neuter and its stories like yours that keep me from doing anything that requires anesthesia unless its absolutely necessary. Ive always wanted to neuter chumley...and sometimes I say to myself its unreasonable to not do it..what are the chances of something going wrong?..but stories like yours are all too common with bullies..so out of fear I wont neuter him.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Like with everything there are studies made in favour of both, so go figure.
In Finland it is not common to neuter or spay dogs for other than health or behaviour reasons, that is if they arise. That is what I choose to do with my boys, who don't have eather.

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
Goob was neutered at 8 months. We were told that if we wanted him to have a larger head, that we should put it off as long as possible. We heard that it's the testosterone that bulks up their heads??? No clue of the validity of that statement...its just what they told us. Goob was getting a little aggressive, we never wanted to stud him out, and we read all the benefits of neutering so we had it done when he was 8 months. No behavior change...he is still somewhat aggressive around strangers and other dogs ( he's a work in progress).

Staff online

Members online