Welcome to English Bulldog News! The #1 forum for the English Bulldog Enthusiast!

REGISTER today to share photos, stories, advice, get help and access member only features and forums.

P.S. Registered members do not see above advertisements!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bulldog Intelligence

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Samson
    Blog Entries

Default Bulldog Intelligence

The English Bulldog breed was listed in the "Top 10 Dumbest Dog Breeds." Whats everyone's thoughts on this?

I think it was obviously written by someone who has never had one, stubborn and at times lazy but FAR from dumb!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quit lugging those big bags of dog food and running that extra errand,
    and get it delivered right to your door- shipped for FREE from Petflow!
    (Please use our link so EBN gets sponsor credit.)
    Ready to try Petflow? Click Here!
    Click here to read testimonials from members who already order from Petflow!

Support Our Community! Become a 4 Paw Member and you will no longer view these ads or this post.

aka "desertskybulldogs" Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Blog Entries

They are actually ranked the third dumbest- but I must say that all dogs must be smart then

Trainable- now here is where it may be more accurate. But to me, a stubborn dog means they are MORE intellegent because they know who they can get away with stuff with! Believe me- I have a stubborn and "less trainable" child- and that is because he is the smartest of the lot!! Oh and did I mention I have 4 kids?

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)

Stubborn yes dumb no. Cutty knows what we are saying to him he just chooses when to use it. lol

Kennel Cleaner
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Destiny and Maximus

Dumb? pleaseee my Lola was mad at me last night for putting eye drops on her eyes, she stay at the balcony and wouldn't come back in for 30 mins I had to carry her back in. These people don't know what they're saying!!!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Sargent

Stubborn and Lazy is right, Dumb nuff said.

Proud parents of Sargent our baby English Bulldog

Default Re: Bulldog Intelligence

I totally disagree with the dumb rating ... I have 2 English bulldogs and my dog Archie is incredibly smart. Not just b/c he's mine but some of the things he does and anticipates what we do is really amazing. I'm very surprised by the rating. Yes he is lazy -- but very smart in my opinion.

I am in total control....I think Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
    Blog Entries

I think they are like cats in how they behave, and no-one thinks they are dumb! One thing I noticed is when an airplane goes overhead or a bird flies by, both bulldogs look up and watch it, but my basset (who is actually VERY smart) just looks around like, "duh, where is that?". lol

This (that bulldogs are stubborn not dumb) is a stock response when this question is raised in a bulldog forum, for understandable reasons.

I think a more realistic answer is that at least most bulldogs are not that smart. Our boy is smart in some ways; he is good at finding his way around, and I'm pretty sure if I dropped him most places in our quite large suburb he could find his own way home. He also shows some signs of intelligence eg unlike a very small child he knows that a ball that rolls under a chair will probably come out the other side and has not disappeared. He has also learned to be pretty good at meeting other dogs eg when he was a puppy he would rush other dogs, but now he uses the "calming signals" as described by Turid Rugaas to defuse tension when meeting other dogs. Also he is sometimes really perceptive at what I am feeling (knew I was suspicious that a dark car had potential burglars as he surprisingly growled under his breath).

All that said, he does not show much intelligence when he repeatedly drinks sea water at the beach, or shakes himself when still in the water, or still wants to go for a walk when we've already gone for a long walk (but drive past an old haunt) although too much walking could give him a limp, or greets me as if I have been away a year after 15 minutes away, or won't eat dog biscuits (as opposed to other foods) in his bowl, or will wait patiently for one car to go by when crossing the road, but does not check if another one is coming etc

Real Name
    Bruce
    Bulldog(s) Names
    HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy

I just read somewhere ( I cant remember where) that bullies are one of the more intelligent breeds. It went on to say that they are comparable to a 5 year old human child. Wish I could remember where I read that.

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)

Yep they are very smart, BUT like a 5 year old they dont always make sense. haha

Bulldog Spoiler Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Tamara
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Matilda A.K.A Sassy Pants & Mighty Mack A.K.A. Fat Peanut

Quote Originally Posted by cali~jenn View Post
    Yep they are very smart, BUT like a 5 year old they dont always make sense. haha
    I totally agree!! Matilda does have her "redhead" moments though.

Who wouldn't love that face???

heff101

If they are considered dumb well then I guess the best dogs in the whole world are the dumbest!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast