Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bulldog Intelligence

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Bulldog Intelligence

Quote Originally Posted by anatess View Post
    I did this long time ago - but I'm sure it's on the internet somewhere. I remember one of them is to put a towel over your dog's head covering his face, and time how long it will take him to get the towel off. Another one is putting a bowl over a treat and time how long it will take them to get the treat from under the bowl... that kind of stuff.
    If I put a towel over Maggie's head and covered her head, within seconds you'd hear snoring. So does that mean she's extra dumb because she didn't take the towel off. Or that her doggie IQ is so high that she's thinking "Thank gawwwdddd ... relief from these imbeciles at last" ??? I guess we may never really know!!

Wrinkle Wiper
    Likes (Received)

Yeah I think that is a key problem with some of Dr Coren's tests of adaptive intelligence. Our naughty teenage son who has an ongoing friendly feud with the big boy sometimes puts a blanket over him, and the big boy generally makes no attempt to remove it or get from out from under it, I think because he is simply not bothered.

So one has to screen out motivation issues for a proper intelligence test. However that is not to state it could not be done, eg his tests as to how quickly a dog would get to food which had been eg shown to the dog to be hidden under a bowl would presumably work with most dogs, provided they were sufficiently hungry.

Delilah's Personal Slave Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lauren
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Delilah
    Likes (Received)

If I put a towel over Delilah's head, she lays down and goes to sleep. I don't think that makes her dumb..lol.

I don't think Bulldogs are dumb at all, honestly. There's just different kinds of intelligence. Different breeds of dogs to different things. In all honestly, Delilah knows more than any other dog I've ever had. She's more in tune with me, more in sync with my emotions. She's more attached to me than any other dog I've ever owned. She can be somewhat difficult to train, but that makes it all the more worth it!

Also..there are more skateboarding bullies than any other breed. Dumb? I think not!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads