I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Need some help with Guinness

It's puppy acne - Linus and Bentley had it but Truman does not - just part of growing up, kind of like all the other stuff. We actually to the vet specially for this "ailment" with Bentley and our vet basically said he has some acne, wash his face more but since the bulldog LOVES to sweep his face over everything, it's kind of hard!

That said, a high quality diet can help limit things like puppy acne, tear stains, and blood shot eyes so that is something to consider too.

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive."
    Bentley (5.24.04 - 6.26.10) & Linus (1.10.06 - 7.31.13)

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

I know you've got him on Fromm Puppy .. but I believe, and I haven't checked .. that it's not as good as the fromm 4* range. Maybe it's time to try switching him over because you said he had the bumps on his chin AND watering eyes with developing tear stains. Sounds like allergies to me!!

In the meantime, I'd like to point out that you are obviously mis-treating him, and so should probably arrange to have him shipped over to me in Ohio as soon as possible .....

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jen
    Bulldog(s) Names
    ???
    Likes (Received)

Dozer has acne also. We use metal bowls and he is on grain free food. Our vet says sometimes it just happens. I think I remember @reallyrob saying he uses stridex pads or something similar on Bertie once in a while.
    If tears could build a staircase and happy memories a lane, I could walk right up to Heaven and bring you home again!

Lucy-licious

everybodys already suggested the same as I would have , antibiotics, food and bowls etc
    but just had to drop in and say HI @wfd38383 and as per Guinness is such a cutiepie with or without the spotty chin

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)

Yep was thinking allergies too. It can take a while to develop them so maybe this food is just not agreeing at this point. I was going to say to try the acne pads to clean his chin and also after that maybe try aquaphor lotion which I think may help to heal them up and also act as a barrier for when he does get a drink and all that. I swear by aquaphor that stuff can heal anything. haha By the way SO nice to see you on here @wfd38383, have missed you!!! Now if you could stick around more that wold be lovely.

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Samson
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

All great advice. I know we have had a high pollen count here lately and anyone with allergies has been suffering a bit lately. Samson's eyes have definitely been watering more than usual. I am sure someone else may have mentioned this but try giving him some benedryl, I give Samson atarax which is just another antihistamine and it helps alot with his allergies. My goodness Guinness has gotten so big, such a handsome boy Oh yeah and I did see it suggested but I agree, I would try switching to one of Fromm's grain free formulas (surf & turf or beef frittata).

"Looking at a bulldog is said to cure the worse of the blues, living with one, serves to prevent them!" -Author unknown

Feed Store Operator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Guinness
    Likes (Received)

thanks for all the great advice!!!!!, going to switch over to Fromm 4, but gonna finish off the last few lbs of fromm puppy, also going ot try the acne wipes , if doesn't get better will def call the vet

I am in total control....I think Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kazzy220 View Post
    In the meantime, I'd like to point out that you are obviously mis-treating him, and so should probably arrange to have him shipped over to me in Ohio as soon as possible .....
    Ok, wait....that is the like third puppy that you have tried to hijack in as many days......you are cracking me up!

I am in total control....I think Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

If they are open sores now, you might want to take him to the vet. They get infected very easily. My vet also suggested stridex pads or benzoil peroxide cream.

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GatorRay View Post
    Ok, wait....that is the like third puppy that you have tried to hijack in as many days......you are cracking me up!
    @GatorRay .... You wait!!! One day it just might work!

Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I noticed Tate's starting to get these "pimples" too...looks very similar to Guinness's photos. I'm going to try some Stridex pads and I also heard that pure aloe vera gel might be helpful. Anyone have any experience w/this?

Tate slobbers water all over his face and neck area when he drinks so i'm thinking maybe this is also contributing to the acne. Also, i'm kind of all over the place w/his food right now; he's transitioning to a grain free formula from Canidae (was on Eukanuba), but i still give him dog treats that are not grain free...and reading about chicken makes me wonder too 'cuz he has some other treats that are made w/chicken. This is truly a learning experience!

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

You know @cali baker the stridex made jakes worse! I got some pads from vet..dermaclor k wipes..they worked great..keep on hand and use on any bumps he gets..just can't get near eyes..like usual. Not sure if I spelled exactly..label twisted!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads