Vaccine Reaction

bullymommy2vinny

Apr 28, 2011
Vinny had a reaction to his second round of vaccines yesterday. He got hives all over and he got extremely puffy , his eyes were so swullen you couldnt even see the actual eyeball. his lips were huge and he started having difficulty breathing. His head was huge! We had to take him in to get a steroid and a shot to counter react the reaction. Now the vet said they will always leave out the Lepto portion of the vaccine. Which is kind of scary to me becasue leptospirosis can be transfered to humans and causes kidney failure in dogs and humans and I have 2 small kids.
Anyone elses dog have this reaction to the vaccine?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I have heard of this happening on the 2nd series of shots, I cannot remember who it was on here that it happened to!?

Hopefully they will have some answers for you on what they did. I know they went to an early appt. just in case there was a reaction and gave some benedryl beforehand. Do you know what the puppy got (what brand) of vaccines the first time? Did you go to the same vet or was it at the breeders? There are many diff. brands of vaccines and no two are the same.

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
Lepto is serious , however it is most often transmitted from wildlife urine and in bodies of water , i.e. ponds. You can mitigate the risk of lepto if you are careful what you expose your bully to. Don't freak out , talk with your vet for other suggestions on how you can avoid exposing him to lepto.

OP
B

bullymommy2vinny

Apr 28, 2011
Fort Dodge LeptoVax . I am a little worried just becasue we live on 7 acres, we have a pond , there is deer, skunks, squirrels and rabbits in my yard all the time.
He had a round of shots from the breeder , I took him for vaccines at 12 weeks with our vet and 16 weeks. He had no reaction at the 12 week appointment.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
When Truman was vaccinated, he received a 100 mg shot of Diphenhydramine (Benadryl) 10 minutes before his vaccines to stave off any possible reactions. I would ask your vet if this is an option for you as well.

Most Reactions